Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Thread: ABOUT DREAMBOX

Senior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default ABOUT DREAMBOX

NDS who developed the Videoguard encryption which is used by Sky UK/Italia is in war with Dream Multimedia who produces the Dreambox.

It started last year with NDS demanding Dream Multimedia to remove the Ethernet Connector on all Dreamboxes. Also NDS demanded to cease the publication of the open-source software which is used by all Dreamboxes. Of course Dream Multimedia didn't listen to these ridiculous demands.

Now NDS wants the ETSI organisation who is responsible for the DVB standard to reject the license to all Dreamboxes. All Dreamboxes are fully DVB compliant, which is already approved http://www.dvb.org/index.php?id=104&mid=2831

This license could be in danger because NDS is a big investor in ETSI.
    Although the DVB license is very important to Dream Multimedia they still could produce Dreamboxes, but they couldn't be sold anymore with the DVB logo.
    Finally NDS wants IBM to stop supplying the PowerPC cpu to Dream Multimedia, because their receivers wouldn't be DVB compliant.

source info: bruut dream
    ART IS TO COMMUNICATE.....
    DM800,DM500S/DM500C,XSAT410/430 WITH SLINGBOX
    ASIASAT 3S,INSAT 2E,THAICOM2/3,
    Intelsat 10,AGILA 146 KU.138 KU

Member Mentor
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Thanks-Digitalpartner

Dreambox 8000 will be the next on the market, or already is in the European states.
    But the selling price is about US$600.
    Can we, the Satellite hobbist afford such expenditures.
    I cannot.
    Thanks for reading my mail.
    JPS-Australia

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

There is no evedence that the dream 8000, has even been released yet.

And these machines [dreamboxs] were never designed or intended for the US market, thet are designed for the European satellite scene, and I doubt you will get one for your 600 us dollars. perhaps you should supply a link.
    regards from OZ bassett

abandoned

if i may be excused for my poor knowledge, i want to know whether dreambox can be connected to a PC and used like the ordinary dvb card for running internet? if so, how? thanks in advance.

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Most people that own "dreambox" models, do have thenm connected to a computer, for software, channel downloads, The software used in Dreambox is Linex. But I really can't see the point in using a dream connected to a computer as you would a satellite card, Unles you only want to use the computer moniter, And remember Dreams do not have an RF out stage, only Scart connectors.

Please tell us what you want to do , by connection to a computer.
    regards from OZ bassett

abandoned

thank you bassett, what i really mean is that i don't have a PC but a laptop with usb port and therefore cannot install a dvb card. i want to browse the internet via satellite using dreambox and the laptop. any possibility? thanks again.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by abandoned
    thank you bassett, what i really mean is that i don't have a PC but a laptop with usb port and therefore cannot install a dvb card. i want to browse the internet via satellite using dreambox and the laptop. any possibility? thanks again.
    no, i don't think you can browse the internet via satellite from your dreambox connected to the lappy. you can however buy a usb pc dvb device such as skystar usb and others. and through that, you may have a one way internet satellite connection. if you want two way internet connection, you may ask your satellite internet service provider from your area regarding THEIR hardware configurations and subscription options.

the ethernet port on the dreamboxes come in handy now for card serving/sharing purposes. some users have had a headache configuring the linux boxes using the network interface and had to resort to the rs232 port for software uploading.

the lack of RF-out connection can be solved by a simple SCART to RCA converter then RCA to RF converter.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

boknoy wrote,,,
    the lack of RF-out connection can be solved by a simple SCART to RCA converter then RCA to RF converter

Or you can do what a lot of people do, and connect it to an old VCR, and get the conversion that way.
    regards from OZ bassett

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Yes, thats right that NDS want to STOP Dreambox production.

Senior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Dreambox

Dear RDI friends,

can any friend explain about how can we share other cards like star package and zee tv on asiasat 3s with dream box...

As i know that star tv is in VIDEOGUARD and its works with its own decoder.

is there any other possibility that we can connect to a peer without DREAMBOX...?

Regards
    ART IS TO COMMUNICATE.....
    DM800,DM500S/DM500C,XSAT410/430 WITH SLINGBOX
    ASIASAT 3S,INSAT 2E,THAICOM2/3,
    Intelsat 10,AGILA 146 KU.138 KU

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: Dreambox

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpartner
    Dear RDI friends,

can any friend explain about how can we share other cards like star package and zee tv on asiasat 3s with dream box...

As i know that star tv is in VIDEOGUARD and its works with its own decoder.

is there any other possibility that we can connect to a peer without DREAMBOX...?

Regards
    yep its very much possible ..... all u need is a videogu*rd emu to run the original card in the dreambox (that's why nds is asking for dream multimedia's blood) ...... check gccadm.net (jkf board)

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by bassett
    boknoy wrote,,,
    the lack of RF-out connection can be solved by a simple SCART to RCA converter then RCA to RF converter

Yes at enormous expense and totally bad picture,best bet these days is a dragon so you can update your receiver whenever new developments come along,BTW I would NEVER buy a dreambox as it is the worst user friendly box I have seen and no 36volt output and I am in this game alonggggggg time.

Or you can do what a lot of people do, and connect it to an old VCR, and get the conversion that way.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: ABOUT DREAMBOX

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpartner
    NDS who developed the Videoguard encryption which is used by Sky UK/Italia is in war with Dream Multimedia who produces the Dreambox.

It started last year with NDS demanding Dream Multimedia to remove the Ethernet Connector on all Dreamboxes. Also NDS demanded to cease the publication of the open-source software which is used by all Dreamboxes. Of course Dream Multimedia didn't listen to these ridiculous demands.

Now NDS wants the ETSI organisation who is responsible for the DVB standard to reject the license to all Dreamboxes. All Dreamboxes are fully DVB compliant, which is already approved http://www.dvb.org/index.php?id=104&mid=2831

This license could be in danger because NDS is a big investor in ETSI.
    Although the DVB license is very important to Dream Multimedia they still could produce Dreamboxes, but they couldn't be sold anymore with the DVB logo.
    Finally NDS wants IBM to stop supplying the PowerPC cpu to Dream Multimedia, because their receivers wouldn't be DVB compliant.

This is old news and been around for ages and how many boxes have been sold I think the horse is long gone m8.!

source info: bruut dream

Thread Information