Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Ali4u
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Default Experts HELP ... HELP .. Required .. ?

hi .. e.body

hope to be fine and enjoying ur time !

Experts Plz help me ... regarding recording ... I have my Reciever attached to my computer for diplay ... through Pixel View ... now my question is that ... what is the best way to record movies .. as when i record something thorugh my pixel view .. the file size is too big .. so what to do to keep the file size small ... Any Idea .?

All suggestions welcomed ... n thanks in advance .

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

@ali4u,

since you are most probably recording on the mpeg2 format, it is but normal for you to have big file sizes for a movie, around 3 gigs per hour i think? the file size is determined by the lenght of your movie being captured and the bitrate you used on it. now, there are some calculators for that, like powerbit. then also, you should be able to customise your capture profiles basing on the bitrates you specify and from that, you can expect how big your mpeg2 file will be after recording. now, to shrink the mpeg2 file, you may convert that to other formats, like divx if you like. divx offers good compression with minimal distortions and loss in quality. i really doubt though if you can stream and convert at real time since that would take a lot of cpu power from your box.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

-
    -
    some guides for recording

http://www.doom9.org/
    -
    -

Ali4u

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph
    @ali4u,

since you are most probably recording on the mpeg2 format, it is but normal for you to have big file sizes for a movie, around 3 gigs per hour i think? the file size is determined by the lenght of your movie being captured and the bitrate you used on it. now, there are some calculators for that, like powerbit. then also, you should be able to customise your capture profiles basing on the bitrates you specify and from that, you can expect how big your mpeg2 file will be after recording. now, to shrink the mpeg2 file, you may convert that to other formats, like divx if you like. divx offers good compression with minimal distortions and loss in quality. i really doubt though if you can stream and convert at real time since that would take a lot of cpu power from your box.
    I am recording with Pixel view .. the defualt format is "avi" .. and no other format supported ....and wheh i check the file size even 10 secnds recording for 36 MB ... any soulution to keep the file size minimum ..?

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

if you cannot modify the default format and bitrate, then i dont know how you can modify the filesize while recording. after recording however, you can shrink the size of the file by converting it to other formats, then delete ur original avi file.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Ali4u

Default Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph
    if you cannot modify the default format and bitrate, then i dont know how you can modify the filesize while recording. after recording however, you can shrink the size of the file by converting it to other formats, then delete ur original avi file.
    Ok..dear ..thanks for your replies ...
    I will definately try to change the bitrate .. but i dont think if the picture quality will remain the same ...! ..lemme search for any other solution on NET ... thanks.

Thread Information