Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default WHY why why......

I can never understand....perhapos some RDI'ers can enlighten us.

1. Why everyone does not dowload and use the TVU player....its easy to set up even a baby can do it and once working allows you to watch a hundred or more live tv channels from around the world FOR FREE on your pc.

2. Why all UK expats are not using a box like the sling to watch ALL their home tv channels without subscription ?
    The Sling Pro has a built in Freeview tuner.
    To set it up you just plug your box into the sling , your sling into your broadband router and load your pc or mobile with the sling software. Channels can be changed with the infrared blaster. Once set up you can connect up to it from anywhere in the world.
    And its legal !
    Yet not a single UK expat has admitted to doing the above. Astonishing !

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    I can never understand....perhapos some RDI'ers can enlighten us.

1. Why everyone does not dowload and use the TVU player....its easy to set up even a baby can do it and once working allows you to watch a hundred or more live tv channels from around the world FOR FREE on your pc.

2. Why all UK expats are not using a box like the sling to watch ALL their home tv channels without subscription ?
    The Sling Pro has a built in Freeview tuner.
    To set it up you just plug your box into the sling , your sling into your broadband router and load your pc or mobile with the sling software. Channels can be changed with the infrared blaster. Once set up you can connect up to it from anywhere in the world.
    And its legal !
    i dont use a sling box,,,but i have been using tvu player for 12 months or more,,,and think its a great service.
    cheers,,,dave

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Plenty of them doing it. They just dont visit rdi or post about it on other forums.
    If Evolution works, why so many idiots?

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Also depends on if you can get a fast enough net connection....sadly...in my location.....it doesn't exist.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

that's because of

1. availability or difficulty in obtaining those hardwares mentioned. true, we all can order online but the hassles of clearing customs in some countries simply will make you wish you can return the merchandise.

2. the issue about bandwidth. if in the UK, your broadband in megabits connection translates to a kilobits speed in most countries. so to attain that megabit status in other countries, you have to milk a hundred cows a month to pay for it.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Byte Stalker Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Much cheaper obtaining a subs card if that is the case! But there are times really that I spend more to sustain my hobby than getting the subs card! I enjoy beating the systems!
    The more we learn things the more we hunger for more! That's human nature I guess!

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph View Post
    that's because of

1. availability or difficulty in obtaining those hardwares mentioned. true, we all can order online but the hassles of clearing customs in some countries simply will make you wish you can return the merchandise.

2. the issue about bandwidth. if in the UK, your broadband in megabits connection translates to a kilobits speed in most countries. so to attain that megabit status in other countries, you have to milk a hundred cows a month to pay for it.
    Yes, definitely we need to say about internet connection . Example in my country , how can I watch with my 45.5 Kbps speed ?
    " 李俊明 Born To Help People "

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by yan naing View Post
    Yes, definitely we need to say about internet connection . Example in my country , how can I watch with my 45.5 Kbps speed ?
    unless of course you want to go out to the beach for a day while waiting for the episode to load, if it loads at all.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

1. allows you to watch a hundred or more live tv channels from around the world FOR FREE on your pc.
    Personally I hate these softwares. First of all, it's not even satellite television if you are watching it from the internet. Second, you won't be able to watch the quality channels. And I won't use these type of softwares, even if I have broadband. I have a few satellite TV equipments, why would I switch?

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by sterbik View Post
    Personally I hate these softwares. First of all, it's not even satellite television if you are watching it from the internet. Second, you won't be able to watch the quality channels. And I won't use these type of softwares, even if I have broadband. I have a few satellite TV equipments, why would I switch?
    the point here is to watch channels not available via satellite coverage in your area.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re TVU

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph View Post
    the point here is to watch channels not available via satellite coverage in your area.
    Exactly. For example Fox News is not available on any bouquet accesible from Thailand to my knowledge nor is France 24 both live news channels.
    Spark is also a macho fun channel from the MTV stable and not available outside the US
    All are available without charge and load swiftly if you have broadband.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

IF you have an AFFORDABLE broadband, i'd say.

well, let's just hope that IPTV (in HD, i pray) does go mainstream and broadband prices go down more.
    CCcam 2.1.4

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Exactly. For example Fox News is not available on any bouquet accesible from Thailand to my knowledge nor is France 24 both live news channels.
    Spark is also a macho fun channel from the MTV stable and not available outside the US
    All are available without charge and load swiftly if you have broadband.
    So what high speed broadband do you have C-band, that allows you to run an out-dated Sling-box.
    regards from OZ bassett

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default TVU/slingbox

In Thailand the national telephone provider's 1 meg broadband costs $18 pm unlimited
    2 meg costs $30 pm unlimited use . [Only avqilable in urban areas]
    Both are sufficient to provide an excellent TVU service .
    In UK (be there) you can get 22meg for only $40pm but you are allowed a certain usage.
    Above are download speeds.....upload is a small fraction of those speeds .

Info on Sling ? none available because as mentioned, nobody has yet come forward on any forum to describe their usage of sling to access UK tv.

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

That's not what I asked, I'm not interested in your download limits, I asked what your broadband speed was. In kill'a bits per second
    As for 1 meg, I go throught that amount in an afternoon, Your average movie download is 1.8 to 2.5 meg's
    regards from OZ bassett

Thread Information