Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Thread: slingbox

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default slingbox

anyone using a slingbox in thailand if so where did you buy it and what is it like to use

Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Have posted this question many times in many fora in Thailand but not a single person has ever responded. .
    The model called Pinnacle and made and sold by Maplins in the UK is much better according to the What Satellite test, as it does not limit the recipient to one user as the Slingbox does in its software ( to prevent breach of copyright by multiple users)

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    Have posted this question many times in many fora in Thailand but not a single person has ever responded. .
    The model called Pinnacle and made and sold by Maplins in the UK is much better according to the What Satellite test, as it does not limit the recipient to one user as the Slingbox does in its software ( to prevent breach of copyright by multiple users)
    i want to buy a slingbox but not sure which one there are a few differant ones to go at. i got iphone a few weeks ago and it looks like the new firmware out in june will work with slingbox

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by big pimpin View Post
    anyone using a slingbox in thailand if so where did you buy it and what is it like to use
    I use one for watching Australian Foxtel while I'm in Kalasin for 3 month spells, works fine if the internet in Thai doesn't stop. been doing this now for over a year, originally purchased mine on ebay from the usa but units are readily available in Aus now. I'm currently in Aus if you want to test it pm me.

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cjd01 View Post
    I use one for watching Australian Foxtel while I'm in Kalasin for 3 month spells, works fine if the internet in Thai doesn't stop. been doing this now for over a year, originally purchased mine on ebay from the usa but units are readily available in Aus now. I'm currently in Aus if you want to test it pm me.
    Extremely interesting. You are the first person to post being able to use this box in Thailand to receive sat progs from your home overseas.
    Can you please inform us the UPLINK speed in Australia you are using as I read that that is what is important.
    Its a pity you did not buy the Pinnacle model because several people can then access the progs ...even a friend in the UK ! As I understand it, the Slingbox software prevents other users from accessing at the receiving end.

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Extremely interesting. You are the first person to post being able to use this box in Thailand to receive sat progs from your home overseas.
    Can you please inform us the UPLINK speed in Australia you are using as I read that that is what is important.
    Its a pity you did not buy the Pinnacle model because several people can then access the progs ...even a friend in the UK ! As I understand it, the Slingbox software prevents other users from accessing at the receiving end.
    My service in OZ is 8000/384 but usually about 6000/320
    In Thai 2000/512 supposedly ?
    When I purchased the sling I don't think the other one was around and yes you are correct it is only single user but in my case I am happy has worked well most days, basically I only watch the news and a few other progs as I have a moveable dish and watch other sats available in Thai.

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cjd01 View Post
    My service in OZ is 8000/384 but usually about 6000/320
    In Thai 2000/512 supposedly ?
    When I purchased the sling I don't think the other one was around and yes you are correct it is only single user but in my case I am happy has worked well most days, basically I only watch the news and a few other progs as I have a moveable dish and watch other sats available in Thai.
    Please excuse my ignorance of technical terms ! I just know megs. Here in Thailand its usually one meg down. In the UK a Co called BE ...www.bethere.co.uk has a 22meg download and a 1.3 meg upload and thats fast and costs only $35 a month !
    Of course many UK expats dream to be able to watch here in Thailand , BSkyB probably the best package outside the USA and the hundreds of FTA channels on Astra 2 that are available in the UK., but not one person has posted being able to do this or even knowing anyone who can. The fact you can use the sling to watch Ozzie tv in Thailand proves it should be possible and can be done. The cost using a Pinnacle would be minimal as could be shared by several willing people.

Member Mentor

Posts Thanks / Likes

Please excuse my ignorance of technical terms ! I just know megs. Here in Thailand its usually one meg down. In the UK a Co called BE ...www.bethere.co.uk has a 22meg download and a 1.3 meg upload and thats fast and costs only $35 a month !
    Of course many UK expats dream to be able to watch here in Thailand , BSkyB probably the best package outside the USA and the hundreds of FTA channels on Astra 2 that are available in the UK., but not one person has posted being able to do this or even knowing anyone who can. The fact you can use the sling to watch Ozzie tv in Thailand proves it should be possible and can be done. The cost using a Pinnacle would be minimal as could be shared by several willing people.
    I watch Uk SkyTv here in thailand no problems at all with slingbox

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by PhuketSatellite View Post
    I watch Uk SkyTv here in thailand no problems at all with slingbox

OK please dump the slingbox and send it over a Pinnacle so that others can log in and watch .......and also share the cost
    How many people do you think could access it before the speed would be affected ?
    ps the Pinnacle was on offer at Maplins a month or two ago for around sixty pounds
    WARNING : without the required computer and internet skills do not think anyone could manage a successful set up, so easier said than done !

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

will a slingbox work with a dream box ?

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by big pimpin View Post
    will a slingbox work with a dream box ?
    It's IPTV.....the progs show on your computer screen or tv with certain models.....nothing to do with satellite on the receiving end !

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

i have a slingbox, I sent it over to sweeden and I connect to it from here, so I get to watch the hotbridchannels, what do you want to know about it

all I can say is you need a good up link to get good picture

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by arabian_Tiger03 View Post
    i have a slingbox, I sent it over to sweeden and I connect to it from here, so I get to watch the hotbridchannels, what do you want to know about it

all I can say is you need a good up link to get good picture
    Surely Hotbird is easy to access all over Europe so dont need a slingbox ?

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Surely Hotbird is easy to access all over Europe so dont need a slingbox ?
    im in australia

Thread Information