Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 16 EUR (16%)
Donate to support this site...

RDI - Board Banned Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default A murit Arthur C. Clarke

Legendarul scriitor de science fiction, Arthur C. Clarke a decedat astayi în Sri Lanka, la vârsta de 90 de ani.

Clarke a devenit celebru datorită cărţii "2001: A Space Odyssey", care a fost ecranizata în 1968 de regizorul Stanley Kubrick. Scriitorul a câştigat numeroase premii pentru cele peste 100 de cărţi despre spaţiul cosmic, ştiinţă şi viitor, fiind considerat unul dintre marii vizionări ai secolului 20.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke s-a mutat în Sri Lanka în 1956, atras de scufundările marine, care îi ofereau o experienţă asemănătoare cu imponderabilitatea spaţială.
    Clarke nu a fost doar un scriitor de science fiction, el a introdus conceptul de satelit de comunicaţii în 1945, cu mult inaitea realizării lor. De altfel, orbitele geosincrone, care ţin sateliţii într-o poziţie fixă, în referinţă cu Pământul, se numesc orbite Clarke.

Inimos din cale afara Expert
    in my own mind
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Domnul sa-l odihneasca pe orbita!
    Oamenii se nasc si mor, fara ca macar sa aibe idee unde se afla cu adevarat si care e sensul existentei.

Gold Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Gold Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Eutelsat Communications pays tribute to Arthur C. Clarke

Eutelsat Communications pays tribute to Arthur C. Clarke
    March 20th, 2008

Eutelsat Communications has paid tribute to Sir Arthur C. Clarke, the writer and scientist whose expertise and imagination ushered in the age of satellite communications and who died yesterday in Colombo, Sri Lanka. It was Sir Arthur C. Clarke’s article published in the British Journal ‘Wireless World’ in October 1945 that mapped out the potential of the geostationary orbit for satellite communications.

Clarke’s theory was that at an altitude of 36,000 km above the earth a satellite would make one revolution every 24 hours; i.e., that it would remain stationary above the same spot. Today, over 300 satellites are located in the ‘Clarke Belt’, providing broadcasting, broadband and telecommunications services around the world and forming a vital component of the Information Society.

Giuliano Berretta, Eutelsat Communications CEO said: “Sir Arthur C. Clarke’s departure is a sad day for all satellite operators, and also for me personally. I was a great admirer of his science-fiction work at an early age, and even more so later in my professional life working in telecommunications and television satellites. I was regularly in contact with him, and in 2000 Eutelsat dedicated to him our SESAT1 satellite which is the nearest in longitude from his home in Sri Lanka.

“As recently as February this year Eutelsat sent a film crew to interview him in what may be his last interview.”

Click here for Sir Arthur C. Clarke’s article in Wireless World.

(Source: Eutelsat)

Thread Information