Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Big TV starts test run with 60 channels

Reliance Communications' Big TV has started test run in homes of Anil Dhirubhai Ambani group employees even as it has drawn up an aggressive plan plan to build a sizeable direct-to-home (DTH) subscriber base.Big TV is now showing 60 channels from all major broadcasters, and has offered the boxes to its employees through internal mailers at the highly subsidised rate of Rs 1,000 per subscriber.

Industry sources said that the price of Reliance DTH would remain unchanged when it is commercially launched a few weeks from now.Big TV plans to show close to 300 channels when fully functional, a possibility because of the MPEG 4 format it will be using.

The company, which has reportedly ordered two million set-top boxes (STBs), has developed a technological solution which can upgrade an existing MPEG 2 STB to MPEG 4 level.

A source said that Reliance would deploy this solution as a marketing tool to capture the existing subscribers of Tata Sky and Dish TV. The latest regulation for the DTH sector recommended by the Telecom Authority of India (Trai) says that all new connections would have to be on the MPEG 4 format and the boxes would have to be interoperable.

This means that a subscriber can change a service provider without having to buy new equipment. Both Tata Sky and Dish TV have written to the government to remove this clause, as it would not be possible for them to upgrade the total number of five million boxes they share between themselves.

While Trai has clarified that the regulation would not affect old connections, it means that even the old DTH players would have to give new connections in MPEG 4 format.

For the rest, the existing five million would stay on the MPEG 2 format. Even in is this segment, Reliance's new solution of upgrading to MPEG 4 format would be a big lure.A price war is imminent. While TataSky has already lowered its charges by half of what it started with a year ago, just to stay in competition, it is still above the price Reliance is offering.

Dish TV officials were not ready to let their plans be public, saying "something will be done." But the real impact of Big TV's launch could be felt on the cable sector with the entry cost falling to as low as Rs 1,000.Reliance Entertainment president Rajesh Sawhney was in a meeting when contacted and could not give his comments.
    GEO SHAAN SE

Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Any signal possible in SE Asia ?
    Anyone tried to get reception there ?
    Thanks

Silver Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    Any signal possible in SE Asia ?
    Anyone tried to get reception there ?
    Thanks
    Should be possible with a bigger dish.

@durmuhammad

Thanks for the news. Let them reduce their rates. Some time back I have heard that Dish tv stbs costs Rs.200 (in bulk order) which they sold Rs.3000 or Rs.4000 each. Cable operators might suffer. Already in Tamil Nadu they are facing a tough time in those areas where cable charges are high like Rs.150. Sun Dth is capturing those markets. If Reliance comes Sun DTH will need to further reduce their price (for now selling at Rs.1000). Long gone those days of arrogant cable operators, good times for the consumers

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by lnb15k View Post
    Should be possible with a bigger dish.

@durmuhammad

Thanks for the news. Let them reduce their rates. Some time back I have heard that Dish tv stbs costs Rs.200 (in bulk order) which they sold Rs.3000 or Rs.4000 each. Cable operators might suffer. Already in Tamil Nadu they are facing a tough time in those areas where cable charges are high like Rs.150. Sun Dth is capturing those markets. If Reliance comes Sun DTH will need to further reduce their price (for now selling at Rs.1000). Long gone those days of arrogant cable operators, good times for the consumers
    bigtv from measat3? i tried after puting in the tp but unable 2 receive anything? but measat astro channel at least i found the channels. using dynasat silverbox2

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by guess View Post
    bigtv from measat3? i tried after puting in the tp but unable 2 receive anything? but measat astro channel at least i found the channels. using dynasat silverbox2
    its India Beam Astro its Malaysia Beam you are in Malysia you must use maby 14-16 ft Dish
    i get Signal from high Band but not very good here
    Daeng

10FT Dish 169° east-49°east

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by guess View Post
    Where is your dish located ?
    Without knowing that your posting is absolutely meaningless.
    Does the person posting not realise we have people from all over the world posting on RDI English with at a guess 70 percent from Asia and 30 percent from Europe.
    Fx good reception in India does not imply good reception in Thailand nor does reception in Thailand mean any reception at all anywhere in Europe (with the exception of Intelsat 10 which can be viewed in part of Europe as well in most of Asia )

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by durmuhammad View Post
    .Big TV plans to show close to 300 channels when fully functional, a possibility because of the MPEG 4 format it will be using.
    With respect, I think that might be wishfull thinking, I would doubt there are 300 channels playing full time that are HD, and why else would you require MPEG 4.

Quote Originally Posted by durmuhammad View Post
    The company, which has reportedly ordered two million set-top boxes (STBs), has developed a technological solution which can upgrade an existing MPEG 2 STB to MPEG 4 level.
    This is more then likely, that they have a combined MPEG 2 / 4 tuner, for future use.

But it might be an idea to tell us where this satellite is situated, A geostationary position, as in your blurb, you promote what's going on, but you don't name the satellite of offer any transponder frequances.

So the question remains, how de we know if we can access it's services IF we don't know where it is, or what it's called
    regards from OZ bassett

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

i thought big tv as some thing but now only came to know that it is just another dth service in india with the same list of channels same channels on 4 dth services and also on c band. what a waste of tranponder bandwidth

Thread Information