Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: setting up dish

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default setting up dish

after i get the angle from http://www.lyngsat.com/asia.html . for example 115.5°EChinasat 6B then i use the compass and turn my dish facing this direction. For the angle of inclination( up and down) from the stand how do i noe how much 2 face?

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by guess View Post
    after i get the angle from http://www.lyngsat.com/asia.html . for example 115.5°EChinasat 6B then i use the compass and turn my dish facing this direction. For the angle of inclination( up and down) from the stand how do i noe how much 2 face?
    the angles will depend on ur location also,,,it will help people to answer u about this if u give ur location
    eg.the area around bangkok is aprox.113deg,,,so that bird (115deg )is almost directly over my head at 90 deg to me,,,,understand?
    the same applies for ur inclination setting,,,it will be relevant to ur distance from the equatorial line that the geostationary sats are on.
    there are many free sat position calculators on the internet,,do a search and im sure u will find one to help u work out ur angles.
    cheers,,,dave

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by davidss1 View Post
    the angles will depend on ur location also,,,it will help people to answer u about this if u give ur location
    eg.the area around bangkok is aprox.113deg,,,so that bird (115deg )is almost directly over my head at 90 deg to me,,,,understand?
    the same applies for ur inclination setting,,,it will be relevant to ur distance from the equatorial line that the geostationary sats are on.
    there are many free sat position calculators on the internet,,do a search and im sure u will find one to help u work out ur angles.
    can u send me the link 4 the sat position calculator? on top of the lnb hav engrave 0 . does it really affect?
    Last edited by guess; 11th February 2008 at 09:46.

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

So simple, you go to this site and put in your latitute and longitude and the satellites postion and this calculator then tells you where to point your dish.

http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

But if you had downloaded the DIY INSTALL FAQ at vetrun you would have read all these things.

http://www.vetrun.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727

You ask for advice, we tell you everything you need on vetrun... but you can't be bothered to look there. All the info you need is already written and loaded into word docs that you can download and read first.

So download the doc, have a good read, then try to use the info provided.

It might take you a week to find your first satellite signals.... especially if you dont know what type of lnb is used for c band or ku band... offset lnb prime focus lnb, linear band, s band, circular band. When you have been up on the rooftop too long and need to pee but cannot find a place use a rubber band.
    If Evolution works, why so many idiots?

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    So simple, you go to this site and put in your latitute and longitude and the satellites postion and this calculator then tells you where to point your dish.

http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

But if you had downloaded the DIY INSTALL FAQ at vetrun you would have read all these things.

http://www.vetrun.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727

You ask for advice, we tell you everything you need on vetrun... but you can't be bothered to look there. All the info you need is already written and loaded into word docs that you can download and read first.

So download the doc, have a good read, then try to use the info provided.

It might take you a week to find your first satellite signals.... especially if you dont know what type of lnb is used for c band or ku band... offset lnb prime focus lnb, linear band, s band, circular band. When you have been up on the rooftop too long and need to pee but cannot find a place use a rubber band.
    i using C band 5150.. till now cant find any sattelite.. veli hard 2 find.

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Mate they are easy to find. The info I gave you links for is for Cband... try reading it

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Smile Get technical assistant

Dear Bro, Pl get someone who knows about satellite and the system how to set it ,as from your explanation its quite hard to help you from the statement given on LNB and its position . there is more than LNB and the angle as the dish & the LNB concern must be accurately set to receive a specific sat.Only way you can safe time and learn is look for a frd who knows about sat/dish/LNB setting/freq/etc. Regards

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    Mate they are easy to find. The info I gave you links for is for Cband... try reading it
    i read finish ady.. i wonder the satellite converter u gav me is really accurate, 2mrw i test it tired ady 2day. i keep on get signal but no quality for chinasat6b

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

i read finish ady.. i wonder the satellite converter u gav me is really accurate, 2mrw i test it tired ady 2day. i keep on get signal but no quality for chinasat6b
    m8,,people cannot help u unless u r willing to learn a little also,,
    i think what u r seeing is agc,,the connection for ur lnb,,not signal strength at all,,,like i told u several posts ago.
    learn the basics first bro.or,like gregory suggested,,make a friend that knows,,and let them do it so u can stop "guessing".
    im sure the postion calculator is correct if u r entering ur location correctly.
    ,,,to answer one of ur previous questions,,,,,the "0" stamped on the top of the lnb is to assist u with the rotation angle u need for different sat positions.
    cheers,,,dave

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

i read finish ady.. i wonder the satellite converter u gav me is really accurate,
    Accurate... of course not... I just publish in accurate DIY FAQ's so that you will never find a satellite.... what do you think?

Of course it's accurate....... sheesh

The only problem is that you have no clue yet on what you are doing. So it takes time to learn. And without a satellite meter you could sweep past the satellite but because your LNB is in the wrong position you get no signal quality.

As I said it might take you a week to find your first satellite.

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Mate, take it easy on him. I'm no expert, just a suggestion. I hope you know how to read lyngsat site and degree of the satellite. Look at your neighbor's satellite and the direction where it points to. I hope you have small TV and bring it to near the satellite dish. Connect cable from LNB to STB, then your TV. When you move the dish(up or down, left or right), watch the quality signal. Some STBs tell you the degree & name of the satellite when hit it. I hope this help you
    Testing: Pansat 2500A, 2700A & 9200HD, Coolsat 5000, Sonicview 360

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Try this IGP antenna alignment gives you lots of explanation on dish and lnb set ups;

IGP ANTENNA ALIGNMENT

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

The thing is, if your not going to take advice, use the information given, and put time into reading and learning. just what is the point of us spending time answering your questions. When even a bit of research on here using the "search'' function would give you all the info, in the first place.
    As we said before, we help, but we don't "spoon feed''

And I agree with the other posters, WE ALL HAVE TO LEARN, but you learn by doing, not by crying "poor me''

When a lot of us started in this hobby, there was NO forums, NO internet, NO pay TV, and very few retail outlets, and as someone said you might play round for a week, before you get a picture, but when you do, it's a great feeling of self satisfaction, knowing you have done it yourself.

I started in the hobby, with a Ku kit, 1.6 meter prime focus dish, Ku LNB, and a 50 channel analogue receiver. [ no digital in those days] and a one page instruction sheet on how to find Optus B1. After a couple of weeks farting round, I was convinced I'd done my $1200.00 Then a mate came round, who owned a "boy scout'' compass, and after a couple of days we had pictures on the TV.
    regards from OZ bassett

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Guess Member Master should be changed to Guess Member Student I'm just kidding. Make sure you check your STB's setting or config. If it is corrected, you should hit at least a satellite. Scan it and compare the channels with Lyngsat site, you would find out the name of the satellite.
    Testing: Pansat 2500A, 2700A & 9200HD, Coolsat 5000, Sonicview 360

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cogil View Post
    Try this IGP antenna alignment gives you lots of explanation on dish and lnb set ups;

IGP ANTENNA ALIGNMENT
    a good website i about to understand it. erm i thought big dish can receive more satelitte.

Thread Information