Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default 200 Free English Language Channels !

See thread :

best system ? patthai (( page 3 my posting )

[www.freesat.co.uk]

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    See thread :

best system ? patthai (( page 3 my posting )

[www.freesat.co.uk]

Yeah heard it all before...

Only problem is it is not available over here, and it is not yet available even in the UK.
    If Evolution works, why so many idiots?

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Freesat… is the next big thing

The BBC and ITV bring you freesat, a brand new digital satellite TV service offering free HD TV programming at no extra cost. freesat has no monthly subscription, just a one-off payment for the digital box, satellite dish and installation - so you pay once, and watch forever. And because freesat is broadcast via satellite, it'll be available to almost every household in the UK when it launches in Spring 08.

(copied /pasted from website)

Watch & record HDTV on a PC.
    Turn your PC into an HDTV with Pinnacle PCTV. You can watch HD and SD TV where you want, whether it's in your office while working, in the kid's room, kitchen or bedroom. With the ultra-portable USB stick products it's even easy to watch TV while on a business trip or on vacation. Recording, time shifting and other advanced PVR features let you gain control over the TV program of your choice.
    (Copied/pasted)

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Freesat… is the next big thing

The BBC and ITV bring you freesat, a brand new digital satellite TV service offering free HD TV programming at no extra cost. freesat has no monthly subscription, just a one-off payment for the digital box, satellite dish and installation - so you pay once, and watch forever. And because freesat is broadcast via satellite, it'll be available to almost every household in the UK when it launches in Spring 08.

(copied /pasted from website)
    Yeah yeah and you also claim more than 200 channels when the site says

For a one-off payment for a digital box, satellite dish and installation, freesat will offer you more than 80 TV channels.

And there is yet no channel list nor schedules....

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

let's hope this is true, it will be bad news for I2E as you see allready by his respons , but never mind afther some time when they also change to pay tv ( as many) i am sure you can buy an official card with I2E from the breaking lab, but only thing what you will break is your wallet again.....

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by patthai View Post
    let's hope this is true, it will be bad news for I2E as you see allready by his respons , but never mind afther some time when they also change to pay tv ( as many) i am sure you can buy an official card with I2E from the breaking lab, but only thing what you will break is your wallet again.....
    Why is it bad news for me? Firstly most people don't have sufficient bandwidth to upload streams. I already have UK people try to stream SKY UK to Taiwan and have a miserable experience when firstly the speed was insufficient and secondly they still didnt get the EPL.

Nobody has to buy pay cards from me. They can always ask Truevisions or DSTV and get their own pay cards if they want.

So Pathai do you think it will be free to pay for enough broadband to stream from the UK to where you are?

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Not available even in the UK at present? Strictly speaking 'no', but the better question is: 'What will be available free when this is up and running that isn't there now?' As far as I can see the answer is HD versions of some of the current FTA channels but nothing else. Freesat is a joint venture between the BBC and ITV. It will include (a) FTA channels like the BBC bouquet that are presently available on 28E (b) the 100 or so other 'free' channels available on the Sky platform subject to having a basic card obtainable for a one-off payment (e.g. ITV and Tiny Pop bouquets) and (c) channels transmitted on the terrestial digital 'Freeview' platform. Freesat has more technical potential than Freeview because the much greater bandwidth makes HD channels viable. However a number of current Freeview channels may not be easily moved to Freesat, either because of (i) licensing issues that mean they cannot be beamed beyond the UK or (b) because Sky has offered them on a discretionary basis (e.g. Sky Sports News) but currently encrypts satellite versions. At present it even looks like Freesat will use the same programme guide software as Sky and go out on the same satellite. So if you currently have a Sky box with basic card (not a subscription) plus Freeview as well, it looks like you are getting more channels (except HD) than you will receive on Freesat, as least under the current plan. I'd like to be wrong on this!

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by citizen33 View Post
    Not available even in the UK at present? Strictly speaking 'no', but the better question is: 'What will be available free when this is up and running that isn't there now?'

As far as I can see the answer is HD versions of some of the current FTA channels but nothing else. !
    Yes well if you believe cband it's over 200 new channels even though it's only 80 perhaps.

And as you correctly point out ost of that content is already FTA

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    Yeah yeah and you also claim more than 200 channels when the site says

For a one-off payment for a digital box, satellite dish and installation, freesat will offer you more than 80 TV channels.

And there is yet no channel list nor schedules....
    .................................................. ....
    No channels ... Ridiculous nionsense . Seen them myself and everyone with a cheap sat receiver and 60cm dish in the area mentioned can also tune to them at this very moment !

Clearly you are not familiar with the UK sat scene ! Everyone single one of the sd channels (other than Channel 4 which breaks free of NDS encryption in the next few months) is listed in Lyngsat at 28 degrees under Eurobird + Astro 2, as fta AND IS CURRENTLY FREE AND OPERATING !

No my friend you are attacking the wrong problem ...the Freesat channels are there now ,only the EPG and HD channels await the official launch ..the problem is getting the channels in Asia . Read about "tv hotels" in Satfacts...that may be the solution in the future for many people without the right UK contacts.
    [Go to www.wotsat.com for all UK sat info ]

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by citizen33 View Post
    Not available even in the UK at present? Strictly speaking 'no', but the better question is: 'What will be available free when this is up and running that isn't there now?' As far as I can see the answer is HD versions of some of the current FTA channels but nothing else. Freesat is a joint venture between the BBC and ITV. It will include (a) FTA channels like the BBC bouquet that are presently available on 28E (b) the 100 or so other 'free' channels available on the Sky platform subject to having a basic card obtainable for a one-off payment (e.g. ITV and Tiny Pop bouquets) and (c) channels transmitted on the terrestial digital 'Freeview' platform. Freesat has more technical potential than Freeview because the much greater bandwidth makes HD channels viable. However a number of current Freeview channels may not be easily moved to Freesat, either because of (i) licensing issues that mean they cannot be beamed beyond the UK or (b) because Sky has offered them on a discretionary basis (e.g. Sky Sports News) but currently encrypts satellite versions. At present it even looks like Freesat will use the same programme guide software as Sky and go out on the same satellite. So if you currently have a Sky box with basic card (not a subscription) plus Freeview as well, it looks like you are getting more channels (except HD) than you will receive on Freesat, as least under the current plan. I'd like to be wrong on this!
    Read the December issue of What Satellite and you will get the ACCURATE info
    Most channels already operating ( Eurobird+Astro 2 ) ...watched them all Summer !
    Getting them to ones computer in Asia....thats the difficult part !

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    Why is it bad news for me? Firstly most people don't have sufficient bandwidth to upload streams. I already have UK people try to stream SKY UK to Taiwan and have a miserable experience when firstly the speed was insufficient and secondly they still didnt get the EPL.

Nobody has to buy pay cards from me. They can always ask Truevisions or DSTV and get their own pay cards if they want.

So Pathai do you think it will be free to pay for enough broadband to stream from the UK to where you are?
    .................................................. .................................................. ...................

Upload Speed insufficient ? ...again you are unfamiliar with UK market !
    See below..inexpensive also! .

Get Be's uncapped, super-fast 24meg broadband with a free wireless modem. Experience record-breaking speeds up to 24 meg download and up to 2.5 meg upload.
    www.bethere.co.uk/ - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Poor old C-band, still believes in "spin doctors'' then admits he also reads "sadfacts"
    sorry there was a typo there I really meant "satfacts" and we all know the history of that rag, Then he admits to reading "wot sat" it just goes from worse to terrible,

No doubt the item in wotsat was written to order by the advertisers.

So after a little investigative reading it turns out that your 200 channels are now reduced to 80, there's no HD being broadcast yet, and it's all advertising spin anyway. as everything's already playing [except the HD, lets not forget everything being repeated in HD] somewhere else.

It might just be time to feed the fairy's at the bottom of your garden C-band.

But tell us, did your good mate pop round and fix up your non-working Chinese dish YET. You know the one, your own personal expert, the ex- CS man, who guarantees everything to work 10000% except your dish of cause. Still not to worry, you can always turn it into a fish pond, few plants and a few rocks it should look quite nice,
    regards from OZ bassett

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

.................................................. .................................................. ...................

Upload Speed insufficient ? ...again you are unfamiliar with UK market !
    See below..inexpensive also! .

Get Be's uncapped, super-fast 24meg broadband with a free wireless modem. Experience record-breaking speeds up to 24 meg download and up to 2.5 meg upload.
    www.bethere.co.uk/ - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

Cband there is a big difference between UP TO 2.5mb upload and dedicated garaunteed fibre speeds....

But anyways as soon as the word FREE is mentioned CBAND will rush out and BUY it lol

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by bassett View Post
    Poor old C-band, still believes in "spin doctors'' then admits he also reads "sadfacts"
    sorry there was a typo there I really meant "satfacts" and we all know the history of that rag, Then he admits to reading "wot sat" it just goes from worse to terrible,

No doubt the item in wotsat was written to order by the advertisers.

So after a little investigative reading it turns out that your 200 channels are now reduced to 80, there's no HD being broadcast yet, and it's all advertising spin anyway. as everything's already playing [except the HD, lets not forget everything being repeated in HD] somewhere else.

It might just be time to feed the fairy's at the bottom of your garden C-band.

But tell us, did your good mate pop round and fix up your non-working Chinese dish YET. You know the one, your own personal expert, the ex- CS man, who guarantees everything to work 10000% except your dish of cause. Still not to worry, you can always turn it into a fish pond, few plants and a few rocks it should look quite nice,
    Yes friends Freesat is WONDERFUL l news ...just think 200 fta English channels . Right now most are available but next month when the service officially starts we get an EPG
    WITH UP TO A WEEKS ADVANCE PROGRAMMING as well as two HD channels .

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

[QUOTE=irdeto2engineer;476736]Cband there is a big difference between UP TO 2.5mb upload and dedicated garaunteed fibre speeds....

Correct... not underestimating the difficulties of getting these 200 channels from the UK to our pc's and tv screens in Asia....we will need the skills and expertise of people like IR2 to do this as he already has a set up for accessing channels and progs from all over the world via his HAVA as his numerous screenshots prove..
    As IR2 has rightly pointed out several have tried to get Sky Digital in Asia using a Slingbox and few have suceeded...the key is a powerful uplink which few have .
    Once they succeed and using the Pinnacle with its non software controlled downlink block the sky's the limit both commerrcially and entertainment wise .AND REMEMBER these are FTA channels so criminal PIRACY issues are no longer there.( civil issues a different matter)

Thread Information