Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Sat repair/installation costs in Bangkok/Pattaya

A few weeks ago Big Pimpin complained on RDI and appeared baffled (understandably in my view ) about the No 1 Sat co requiring a form signed and filled in before they would do any work whatsoever.
    Well below you can see the reason why and by the way, this rate is equivalent to four to eight times the hourly rate charged by most sat Co's in Thailand ( Phuket excepted as that's a very special case )

"I understand there is a THB 800 per engineer per hour either for upgrades or for ad hoc work, with a minimum callout rate of THB 800 even if the hour is not used for the work I require. In some cases this minimum call out fee needs to be paid in advance, and the administration people at xxxx.tv will tell you how to do this. "

OK the man is the top expert and a skilled expat but how much do his staff get paid who he sends out to do the jobs.? Eight hundred baht is not far off $30

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    OK the man is the top expert and a skilled expat but how much do his staff get paid who he sends out to do the jobs.? Eight hundred baht is not far off $30
    SO what..... Call a cheaper company if you don't like the prices..... Firstly it takes time to get to peoples places. That also costs money as it means you are spending on fuel and not earning anything till you get there. Then you are paying health insurance and taxes plus busines staxes. Mr Cband didntyou claim to be a lawyer before in the UK? Does that costs 5p an hour?

I get call outs as well. I have a minumum fee regardless of whether or not the work takes 5 minutes or 1 hour. Yes it's an hourly fee.

After business hours the fee is 50% higher. Phone and online support if always free for my customers. Plus I have a forum where they can get many useful info. Usually it's RTFM first.

Last week I had a call out to a customer who bitterly complains he's paying money for a system he cannot watch.

I drive over to his house. He conveniently forgot to tell me he asked a cable TV company to run cable TV to another part of the house. The cable TV guys cut the first cable they saw ( my satellite coax ) put a splitter on it and then ran a cable to another TV. They never even checked to see if the cable TV was working on that other TV.

Result, one dead LNB as cutting the powered coax shorted the LNB.

Cost Thai Baht 3,500 for new LNB and my time to go out there and spend the time fixing his system. I also connected the cable TV to the correct place. Now as you know Taiwan is a far more expensive place than Thailand.

These small shitty jobs take half a day of your time by the time you travel to your client and then get somewhere else. Tahts half a day I could be spending doing another complete install.

More often than not I get people who are not my customers callsing for help asking me can I come visit and fix their problems. They all think I will do that for free.

If you want free then DIY.
    If Evolution works, why so many idiots?

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

A while back I had a large screen TV break down. [ 135cm rear projection Sumsung ]
    I contacted a well respected repairer on the coast, who has been in the same location for something like 30 years. To be told, No we don't travel that far out of town [about 100 kilometers round trip ] to do service calls, and the chances are even if we did come out, it would need specific parts we don't carry on the service vans. better bring it in..
    Now remember this thing is huge and heavy Something like 5 **** square and two **** thick. [deep] Anyway we get the thing in there, and the flat fee, just to look at it without spares is $120 aust. 3320 baht. No service fee, no work.

What you forget is people are in business to make money, they need to employ people, they run service van's ,they have service fee's, insurance, wages, fual, etc,
    etc. Frankly your $30.00 fee was very cheap.
    regards from OZ bassett

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Sorry ...and I do not intend to offend anyone, but my point concerned wage rates in Thailand and only in Thailand ....not those in Taiwan or Ozzie ...the home country of the two people responding.
    In the UK $30 an hour would be cheap service ..more likely $100 an hour in London ! In Burma wage rates are usually a small fraction of those even paid in Thailand ...I am sure Yan will confirm that !
    My point concerned :
    Wage rates in Thailand where $10 a DAY is considered a good rate as opposed to the $30 ah hour the firm charges.
    and also.....
    though not privy to the figures these local installers he sends out receive its likely to be a pittance in Ozzie or Taiwanese terms.
    To sum up : please compare like with like !.

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Wage rates in Thailand where $10 a DAY is considered a good rate as opposed to the $30 ah hour the firm charges.
    No offence taken. However I know there are other firms charging expats rates as well.

One of my Thailand customers heads the KPMG accounting group. He spends his weekends in Taiwan. KPMG charges the rates that would make you cringe... and yes they hire local Thai accountants as well.

But as you said the other firm si the #1 in Thailand... maybe there is a reason for that.

I get complaints about my fees as well. Mostly from expats who earn US$10,000 or more a month. They want large salaries with housing plus school fees for their kids... buy my oh my.... charge them for work performed and they scream blue murder about thieving no good service providers... Only problem is they called that cheap arsed local firm who fucked up the work in the first place.... same as here.

Get the same shit in Thailand too with expats there. What they really bitch is paying a local firm who fucks it up in the first place then paying me or other #1 companies in Thailand to unfuck their fucked systems. I have plenty of expats in Thailand buying DSTV cards and other services from me. They can do it locally but guess what... maybe my systems are more reliable.

What a firm charges in any market is only relative to what people will pay.

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Sorry ...and I do not intend to offend anyone, but my point concerned wage rates in Thailand and only in Thailand ....not those in Taiwan or Ozzie ...the home country of the two people responding.
    In the UK $30 an hour would be cheap service ..more likely $100 an hour in London ! In Burma wage rates are usually a small fraction of those even paid in Thailand ...I am sure Yan will confirm that !
    My point concerned :
    and also.....
    though not privy to the figures these local installers he sends out receive its likely to be a pittance in Ozzie or Taiwanese terms.
    To sum up : please compare like with like !.
    its a Forreigner Price here in Thailand
    one normal Thai worker works 8 hours and get maby 200.-Bath 1 day
    so him cant pay 800.-Bath
    but the Price its not to high its ok
    about you dont know you cant setup ore repair
    Daeng

10FT Dish 169° east-49°east

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Agreed IR 2 .
    But when I started at my law practice the junior solicitors were charged out at 10 pounds an hour and the partners 100 pounds an hour.
    I am sure our expert installer is worth every baht of his hourly fee but the juniors he sends out ( and the pittance by NZ standards he probably pays them underlining probably as I do not know ) is a different matter.
    Were I his business consultant I would give customers the choice. Use me the expert and you pay 1000 an hour...use our juniors we will charge 500 an hour.
    The business would probably end up more profable and with more clients and fewer or no complaints

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Agreed IR 2 . But when I started at my law practice the junior solicitors were charged out at 10 pounds an hour and the partners 100 pounds an hour.

I am sure our expert installer is worth every baht of his hourly fee but the juniors he sends out ( and the pittance by NZ standards he probably pays them underlining probably as I do not know ) is a different matter.

Were I his business consultant I would give customers the choice. Use me the expert and you pay 1000 an hour...use our juniors we will charge 500 an hour. The business would probably end up more profable and with more clients and fewer or no complaints
    When you started was so long ago it might have 10 pounds but it's more like 400 to 800 pounds nowadays.

Not the point.... My firm charges an hourly fee. Doesnt matter if I send out my chalkies or I come with them. You are paying for work performed and done to your satisfaction.

I get work because I dont need to come back and do it again and again as with local companies. They were paying less per hour before but had unreliable systems that needed fixing time and again. That cost them more in the end.

But I'm sure that myself and other always get calls from people asking to fix installs we didnt do in the first place. Then people don't want to pay for gettings things fixed. They think it's unfair.

But hey fuck me..... don't pay I just turn off your pay cards....

Next time you buy an expensive car don't forget to ask for 60% discount as the workers building it only got US$5 per hour.

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

who cares what he pays at the end of the day you have no idea for all you know they might get half the money.its upto him how he runs his thing i have had severel bell end instaler round when i first stared playing with sat stuff who say they know wot they are doing but when it came down to it they know f all.its easyer either teach yourself or pay. i think 800b is cheep they have the right gear for the job and are doing it every day so if you dont like it you know wot to do buy a jigsaw

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by big pimpin View Post
    who cares what he pays at the end of the day you have no idea for all you know they might get half the money.its upto him how he runs his thing i have had severel bell end instaler round when i first stared playing with sat stuff who say they know wot they are doing but when it came down to it they know f all.its easyer either teach yourself or pay. i think 800b is cheep they have the right gear for the job and are doing it every day so if you dont like it you know wot to do buy a jigsaw
    Shit did you just agree with me Big Pimkin.... Is that a first? could be lol

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    Shit did you just agree with me Big Pimkin.... Is that a first? could be lol
    yes i agree with you and dare i say it i even agree with bassett

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Great minds think alike and interesting all three agree the customer be charged the highest rate in the whole kingdom , totally irrespective of wage rates or profits. .
    I on the other hand ...am I alone in this ? ....think you should get what you pay for. A top surgeon gets ten times what a junior , a top silk (barrister) earns a million pounds a year a junior gets just enough to live on so
    So why should one not have the same choice with a sat Co.
    An expert in many fields (ie above) is worth his weight in gold but a novice still learning the trade.....no way

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Great minds think alike and interesting all three agree the customer be charged the highest rate in the whole kingdom , totally irrespective of wage rates or profits. .
    I on the other hand ...am I alone in this ? ....think you should get what you pay for. A top surgeon gets ten times what a junior , a top silk (barrister) earns a million pounds a year a junior gets just enough to live on so
    So why should one not have the same choice with a sat Co.
    An expert in many fields (ie above) is worth his weight in gold but a novice still learning the trade.....no way
    your a fine one to talk about over charging regaurdless of wot other people are earning your in the legal game and they are the biggest robbing basterds there are. at least dick tirpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed people

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

So now youa re saying the local Thai employees of the best company in Thailand employs novices.... sheeesh.

I suppose as a lawyer you just had your legal secretaries do all your work for you.

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    So now youa re saying the local Thai employees of the best company in Thailand employs novices.... sheeesh.

I suppose as a lawyer you just had your legal secretaries do all your work for you.
    Everyone has to learn ...thats no criticism We used to call such people apprentices .
    I just think the experts should be charged more and the less skilled should be charged less.....after all they earn less.
    And yes....for simple less complicated matters in my practice , the clients were happier to use the services of the articled clerks as the fees were then far less.

Thread Information