Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Friend
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default how to flash dm using dreamup on usb port

dear all brother,
    my notebook doesn't have standard serial rs-232 port to be used for flashing my dreambox using dreamup software. then i bought usb to serial adapter. but when i plug with serial null cable, the dreamup cannot detect and cannot work. even i choose correct port as the one that created by the usb to serial adapter. i plug to my old modem, and it's detected. does anyone has any solution about it ?

Member Mentor

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by sakku View Post
    dear all brother,
    my notebook doesn't have standard serial rs-232 port to be used for flashing my dreambox using dreamup software. then i bought usb to serial adapter. but when i plug with serial null cable, the dreamup cannot detect and cannot work. even i choose correct port as the one that created by the usb to serial adapter. i plug to my old modem, and it's detected. does anyone has any solution about it ?
    Go into the com port settings of your laptop and re-name the comport as COM 1 then re-boot the laptop - That should then work

If still dont work try and intall on a different USB port but once installed you should then goto the settings and re-name it as COM 1

dreamup works fine on Laptops with USB to Serial

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

does the usb to serial adapter has some different types which one can support for null cable and the others cannot ?
    when the driver was installed on my laptop, it makes 1 com port which names prolific usb on COM3. how to rename it to COM1 ?
    does it needs the other driver which can support for null cable ?
    thanks..

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

How about ethernet? faster and easy.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by sakku View Post
    does the usb to serial adapter has some different types which one can support for null cable and the others cannot ?
    when the driver was installed on my laptop, it makes 1 com port which names prolific usb on COM3. how to rename it to COM1 ?
    does it needs the other driver which can support for null cable ?
    thanks..
    no, they are all the same.

go to control panel, system, device manager, ports, right click on your prolific, select properties, port settings advanced and change com port assignment. also it helps to have the latest driver (if the one that came on that small cd does not work) from prolific.com.tw
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

i tried to change default COM5 created by prolific driver to COM1. but dreamup still cannot connect to the dreambox.
    sir boknoy, are u sure u success using dreamup with prolific usb to serial ?

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Proximator View Post
    How about ethernet? faster and easy.
    with ethernet port, it's ok. but, in case sometime i got trouble with the images, so i have to hard-reflashing it using serial port.

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Try using a PCMCIA to serial adapter, its not very expensive but works great, as some lap tops do not communicate effectively from USB to serial cable.

Thread Information