Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Is Cansorship And Removal Of Channels The Right Thing To Do ?

FROM TODAYS BANGKOK POST

Thaicom announced on Wednesday it had ended satellite broadcasts by the Hezbollah propaganda TV channel al-Manar, a service which had brought worldwide protest.

DO RDI''ERS AGREE WITH THIS DECISION ?

[A LOT OF MY ARAB NEIGHBOURS IN BANGKOK SOI 3 USED TO WATCH THIS CHANNEL REGULARLY.]

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    FROM TODAYS BANGKOK POST

Thaicom announced on Wednesday it had ended satellite broadcasts by the Hezbollah propaganda TV channel al-Manar, a service which had brought worldwide protest.

DO RDI''ERS AGREE WITH THIS DECISION ?

[A LOT OF MY ARAB NEIGHBOURS IN BANGKOK SOI 3 USED TO WATCH THIS CHANNEL REGULARLY.]

It preaches hate of people and condones killing others based on their religious creed.... so yes it should go....
    If Evolution works, why so many idiots?

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

no comment.....
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

If so called "Censorship" is applicable to everyone including Govt's own channels than it looks fair but if it only aims to "check" one particular religion/country/faith then its Dictatorship and crushing of Freedom of Speech/Expression...........

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by smartbuddy View Post
    If so called "Censorship" is applicable to everyone including Govt's own channels than it looks fair but if it only aims to "check" one particular religion/country/faith then its Dictatorship and crushing of Freedom of Speech/Expression...........
    I know what you're saying and I'm not a great fan of censorship myself but if people of any religion/country/race support killing for people that don't follow their way of thinking than YES it should be turned off.
    It's funny how when that happens they cry that they've been hard done by and that have rights and that they're being racially mistreated, yet they defy Freedom of choice to others.
    No other religion goes around preaching that they'll kill anyone that doesn't believe in their God.
    If you act different you get treated different.

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    It preaches hate of people and condones killing others based on their religious creed.... so yes it should go....
    I AM NOT TRYING TO DEFEND THE CHANNEL BUT HAVE TO ASK ....HAVE YOU ACTUALLY WATCHED THIS CHANNEL AND/OR HAD AN ARAB SPEAKING FRIEND INTERPRET ?

WAS IT NOT PASTOR NIEMOLLER WHO SAID SOMETHING LIKE ..TO PARAPHRASE LIBERALLY

"THEY WENT AFTER THE GYPSIES, AND WE ALL KEPT SILENT, THEN THEY WENT AFTER THE COMMUNISTS AND WE SAID NOTHING. THEN THEY WENT AFTER THE JEWS AND WE TURNED A BLIND EYE .
    NOW THEY ARE GOING AFTER US ( HE WAS A CATHOLIC) ...AND THERE WAS NOBODY LEFT TO HELP AND DEFEND US.

SURELY WE SHOULD AT LEAST SPEAK UP IF WE ARE AGAINST CENSORSHIP ?

GOING BY GEORGE BUSHE'S LATEST SPEECH IT SEEMS THE IRAN NEWS CHANNEL IS THE NEXT ONE THE AMERICANS WILL TRY TO HAVE SHUT DOWN . FALUNG GONG IS ALREADY HAVING PROBLEMS STAYING ON AIR DUE TO PRESSURE FROM THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT.
    WHICH CHANNEL NEXT ? RUSSIA TODAY IF PUTIN KEEPS UP HIS ANTI WEST RHETORIC ?

Banned
    RDI - Board Banned Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Put in balance : freedom with stoping terrorist propaganda . I choose second variant .

Freedom have limits , and with terrorist propaganda , we do not have freedom after .

Freedom mean peace .

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ********* View Post
    Put in balance : freedom with stoping terrorist propaganda . I choose second variant .

Freedom have limits , and with terrorist propaganda , we do not have freedom after .

Freedom mean peace .
    YES, BUT WHO DECIDES WHO IS THE TERRORIST WHO IS THE FREEDOM FIGHTER ?

NELSON MANDELA WAS A TERRORIST AND CONVICTED AND IMPRISONED FOR TRYING TO BLOW UP A POWER STATION. DID THIS MAN'S MILITARY WING THE SISIGWE EL KUNTE
    ( OR SIMILAR ) NOT SEND THEIR MEN INTO A CHURCH ONE SUNDAY MORNING IN CAPE TOWN AND GUN DOWN AND MASSACRE INNOCENT PRAYING WOMEN AND CHILDREN ?

THE EOKA IN CYPRUS LED BY ARCHBISHOP MAKARIOS REGULARLY SHOT BRITISH SOLDIERS IN THE HEAD AS THEY STROLLED DOWN THE STREETS OF NICOSIA.

THE HAGANAH ...WHOSE LEADER MENACHIM BEGIN BECAME PRIME MINISTER OF ISRAEL AND SIGNED THE PEACE TREATY WITH SADAT AT THE WHITE HOUSE WAS THE TERRORIST WHO ARRANGED AND BLEW UP THE KING DAVID HOTEL IN JERUSALEM ( WHERE BUSH MADE HIS ANTI IRAN SPEECH TWO DAYS AGO ) WITH HUNDREDS OF INNOCENTS KILLED..

NEARER HOME FOR COGIL ...THE "TERRORIST" MAU MAU WHO SLAUGHTERED ENGLISH SETTLER FAMILIES ...WOMEN AND CHILDREN AND WHOSE LEADER JOMO KENYATTA BECAME FATHER FIGURE OF KENYA

AND THE CURRENT DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER OF NORTHERN ISLAND WHO WAS A KNOWN LEADER OF THE VICIOUS IRA WHICH MURDERED THOUSANDS OF LOYALISTS IN BELFAST

OK, LETS GO FURTHER BACK...THE AMERICAN COLONIAL TRAITORS UNDER GEORGE WASHINGTON WHO MASSACRED LOYALIST SETTLERS (WHO WERE THEN FORCED TO FLEE TO CANADA.)

WHERE DOES THE LIST END.......NOT EVEN AT 1066 WHEN THE LAWFUL KING OF ENGLAND HARALD WAS SLAIN BY NORMAN TERRORISTS AT THE BATTLE OF HASTINGS AND THE NATIVE BRITISH SUBJUGATED FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    I know what you're saying and I'm not a great fan of censorship myself but if people of any religion/country/race support killing for people that don't follow their way of thinking than YES it should be turned off.
    It's funny how when that happens they cry that they've been hard done by and that have rights and that they're being racially mistreated, yet they defy Freedom of choice to others.
    No other religion goes around preaching that they'll kill anyone that doesn't believe in their God.
    I have not seen the channel myself so cannot comment on that "particular channel"

Yes, I agree with you that if any channel shows killing or propagates killing innocent people should be taken OFF air but there are channels which show the other side of the story to the world like the Al-Jazeera channel did in its time.

American Media always shows one side of the story, the other side of the story remains unseen lot of times. So, yes if a channel is preaching killing/violence then it should go but if its showing news (other side of the coin), then it should be left for people to decide!

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    NEARER HOME FOR COGIL ...THE "TERRORIST" MAU MAU WHO SLAUGHTERED ENGLISH SETTLER FAMILIES ...WOMEN AND CHILDREN AND WHOSE LEADER JOMO KENYATTA BECAME FATHER FIGURE OF KENYA
    You must have mastered in political history or science, but the freedom fighters always push for their leaders, so them leaders dont commit the atrocities but their cronies do, lots of freedom come out of human deaths or sacrifices - otherwise leaders close their eyes to human cry.
    most parts of the world at present are well educated and chose what to digest from tv programs mostly news.
    Like now we watch Aljazera, BBC, CNN, SKY plus 5 local TV channels, but you find Aljazera as No 1 - live, local ones are barred from live transmissions, they transmit through Aljazera. What do you think when some areas in a country are switched off power at news time, when things are thick.

Censorships and removals do go well with the government in power, but not the citizens or enthusiasts, its like being told only what you know but not what you want to know. See & listen to history but not news! Anyway it brings peace
    Dstv HD PVR

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Should Censorship Be Allowed In A Free Society ?

I HAVE A THEORY.
    IF THE NEWS CHANNELS SHOWED THE TV NEWS WITHOUT CENSORSHIP OF ANY KIND WARS AND FIGHTING WOULD COME TO AN END MUCH MORE QUICKLY.

FOR EXAMPLE SOME MONTHS AGO OVER A HUNDRED INNOCENTS WERE BLOWN UP AT A MARKET IN IRAQ. YES WE HEARD THE NEWS AND SAW THE STREETS BEING WASHED DOWN OF BLOOD....BUT NO BODIES .
    BUT HAD THE CAMERAS BEEN ALLOWED TO SHOW THE DEAD AND MANGLED BODIES OF ALL THOSE DOZENS AND DOZENS OF INNOCENT WOMEN AND CHILDRED......HORRIFIC...THE OUTCRY FROM THE PUBLIC WOULD HAVE BEEN SO HUGE WITH MARCHES IN THE STREETS BY MILLIONS ALL OVER THE WORLD ...AND THE WAR WOULD SOON HAVE STOPPED.

NO, WHAT WE DO IS xxxxSANITIZExxxxx THE NEWS AND HIDE THE HORRIBLE TRUTH AND THATS WHY THE PUBLIC ALLOWS THE ATROCITIES TO CONTINUE.

ARE YOU AWARE GEORGE BUSH HAS PROHIBITED BODY BAGS OF SLAUGHTERED US SOLDERS
    ARRIVING BACK IN THE US ,BEING SHOWN PUBLICLY ON TV......AS HE WELL KNOWS THAT IT WAS THOSE BODY BAGS THAT ENDED THE WAR IN VIETNAM.....THE US PUBLIC HAD HAD ENOUGH. ...THE DEMOS STARTED IN EARNEST ...AND KISSINGER SIGNED A PEACE ACCORD AND THE KILLINGS STOPPED . VIETNAM IS NOW A PEACEFUL COUNTRY WITH THE US SOLDIERS GONE ...DITTO IRAQ ?

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

IRAQ is in a mess. And who put them in mess its the so called Protectors of the world: "USA".

Bush has destroyed countries after countries, killed millions of innocent women/children, destruction all around and still he is known as President and not a Terrorist.

We are only shown what they want us to see, reality is not always what we get to see!

betasat

I've watched al-Manar. None of this is true. It goes a lot deeper than these idiotic claims. It really is about media wars, failure to get your own propaganda out and silencing anyone with a different view.

Al-Manar is more than just a propaganda outlet. It has been declared "News station of the year" in Lebanon in the past, is one of the top stations in the Middle East and widely respected by many other top Arab broadcasters.

It also shows soapies, nature shows, game shows, cartoons, puppet shows (no, and they don't have the 'terrorist' stuff those against them claim).

Fact is al-Manar became the top Arab channel in Australia and France - no wonder it became such a worry.

Oh yes, and if you argue that anyone who calls for killing others should be taken off the air, then it would include all news channels - especially those who broadcasted the propaganda (which everyone now knows was lies) for the attack on Iraq. Many civilians have been killed there because those channels supported it.

So my view: no to censorship. Let me watch the channel, hear the information and decide what I want to believe. I'm not a kid and the satellite companies or governments are not my parents!

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    I really think you have said all that needs to be said, You have summed up the situation as it is and not how some people would interpret it.

The big problem is with any propaganda machine, the thing gets distorted, and while we all have a different opinion on the subject, which is correct in the "free" world. Some of these fanatic's defy description, by the way they treat there own citizens. and more especially there woman folk.

What mother in her right mind grows her children to be suicide bombers, and then proclaims justification for there actions.

We all have our standards that are taught to us by our parents, and our culture. We are all responsible for our actions, we should all be accountable for what we do. But really some of these people defy description.

And while we don't have access to this channel in OZ, well at least I don't think we do. Hezbollah propaganda machines are not wanted in your chosen country. when you migrate to another country, you should except the standards of that country, as you have moved there simply because it's a better place for yourself and more importantly your family. You should not try and drag, the standards that you have fled in your
    birth country into your new one. Doing that really makes it pointless in migrating.

Hopefully this thread won't turn into a political drum beat, and common sense will prevail
    regards from OZ bassett

Silver Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Fighting for Freedom in their homeland is different from killing people in other countries in the name of holy war Who are they to preach us what to do and what not to do? Better they should follow and be islotated if they don't like the majority (terrorists).

Thread Information