Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.


Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
  1. #1
    Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    THAILAND
    Posts
    1,437
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default Rip Off Dish ? Is This Possible ?


    Just purchased a new undamaged solid 1.8 M prime focus dish. Manufacturer JIAXIN China.
    It looks just like every other dish of its size and comes on a stand .
    Well my installer spent a whole day with this dish and used an lnb which had been fully tested on other dishes.
    Result : my installer could not get ANY signal strong enough to show a picture and had tried both C band and Ku.
    Seems my money was wasted and can only use the dish as an ornament.
    Is my installer wrong ? Can any properly manufactured dish be so useless ?
    PS the focus was mathematically and physically correct

  2. #2
    Junior Member Master
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Other Not Shown
    Posts
    76
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    Just purchased a new undamaged solid 1.8 M prime focus dish. Manufacturer JIAXIN China.
    It looks just like every other dish of its size and comes on a stand .
    Well my installer spent a whole day with this dish and used an lnb which had been fully tested on other dishes.
    Result : my installer could not get ANY signal strong enough to show a picture and had tried both C band and Ku.
    Seems my money was wasted and can only use the dish as an ornament.
    Is my installer wrong ? Can any properly manufactured dish be so useless ?
    PS the focus was mathematically and physically correct


    100% i would say your installer not enough knowledge on....

    1. to find Azimuth +Elevation
    2. parameter such as FREQ + pol + s/r wrong input


    I am using a CHINA wok with stand 1.5 metres for AS3s...not problem.

    Thaicom...some strong transponder...also not a problem.

    Measat C-band can receive too.

    How about if you DIY your dish yourself....I think you can do it.

  3. #3
    Member Mentor
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    873
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    Just purchased a new undamaged solid 1.8 M prime focus dish. Manufacturer JIAXIN China.
    It looks just like every other dish of its size and comes on a stand .
    Well my installer spent a whole day with this dish and used an lnb which had been fully tested on other dishes.
    Result : my installer could not get ANY signal strong enough to show a picture and had tried both C band and Ku.
    Seems my money was wasted and can only use the dish as an ornament.
    Is my installer wrong ? Can any properly manufactured dish be so useless ?
    PS the focus was mathematically and physically correct
    Yes its very possible that the dish is made wrong
    Also the distance of the LNB away from the dish will also do this

    Why everyone wants to save a few bucks $$$ but when we look and study the forums with people comments on there cheap products
    IS IT WORTH IT ?

    I would have another go at the dish installation again as this is proberly the problem . Get a proffessional installer around like Jsat.tv who know how to installe satellite dish properly

    Give jsat.tv a call they will sort if for your properly !


  4. #4
    Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    S.A
    Posts
    116
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    Just purchased a new undamaged solid 1.8 M prime focus dish. Manufacturer JIAXIN China.
    It looks just like every other dish of its size and comes on a stand .
    Well my installer spent a whole day with this dish and used an lnb which had been fully tested on other dishes.
    Result : my installer could not get ANY signal strong enough to show a picture and had tried both C band and Ku.
    Seems my money was wasted and can only use the dish as an ornament.
    Is my installer wrong ? Can any properly manufactured dish be so useless ?
    PS the focus was mathematically and physically correct
    i've also seen before, where these kung-fu-li-jing- bla- bla cheap dishes dont give good signal, just have a look and u'll see that its nearly flat..... the deeper a dish, the better the focus point...


    the moral of the story, DONT BUY JAP-CRAP!
    ..::Southern African Satellites::..

  5. #5
    canine consultant Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    over the Hill, and down the road
    Posts
    1,318
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    You say that the focal length was correct, Did you do the calculation to determine if it was correct or simply go by the LNB arms supplied.

    Another thing IF you tried the C-band LNB, and got nothing assuming you where on satellite. and frankly if the Focal length is not correct, then you have no way of knowing if you where in fact ON satellite.

    Then you tried the Ku LNB, on the same arms, I would suggest to you that ether the C-band or the Ku band will not be at the correct focal length, simply because it's imposable, unless you extend the LNB arms a couple of inches to compensate for the different sizes of the scaler ring fixtures, with the Ku LNB.

    Also your mesh dish is questionable as to whether it is in fact suitable for KU reception. how big are the holes in the mesh "petal"

    And did your installer do a full rotation of the LNB's to determine the "skew"

    If you think the dish is not acurate, and out of round, or simply bent, did your installer do the "string" test.

    First thing to do is find another installer, that one knows bugger all and is taking your money on false pretences
    regards from OZ bassett

  6. #6
    Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    THAILAND
    Posts
    1,437
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default Lousy dish or lousy installer ??

    Many thanks to you all for all the advice and suggestions. I instead bought a 1.8 offset from Infosat second hand (as they no loger sell 1.7 M offset dishes) which gives a very strong signal. I will try another installer in the near furure though I dont think it will be jsat Bangkok who are the most expensive installer in Bkk (Come on Jsat...offer a normal Thai price and Ill take your service...I know you read RDI regularly)

    I feel it would be appropriate to show you all a picture of the dish in question and trust it does not break any rules if by doing so it give away the suppliers name.
    If any rdi'er knows / recognises this dish please let us know.

    http://www.blsat.com/index.php?lay=s...ticle&Id=62292

    Thank you

  7. #7
    Member Mentor
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    873
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    Many thanks to you all for all the advice and suggestions. I instead bought a 1.8 offset from Infosat second hand (as they no loger sell 1.7 M offset dishes) which gives a very strong signal. I will try another installer in the near furure though I dont think it will be jsat Bangkok who are the most expensive installer in Bkk (Come on Jsat...offer a normal Thai price and Ill take your service...I know you read RDI regularly)

    I feel it would be appropriate to show you all a picture of the dish in question and trust it does not break any rules if by doing so it give away the suppliers name.
    If any rdi'er knows / recognises this dish please let us know.

    http://www.blsat.com/index.php?lay=s...ticle&Id=62292

    Thank you
    Why should Jsat drop his price
    Nobody in Bkk and Surrounding Area's Install a Dish professionally like Jsat

    Thais yes are cheaper as there install normally involve 1 man on a dish and another at TV shouting left and right abit ( that will do ? )

    All Customers who purchase products from me outside Phuket i always tell them to get Jsat to install there dish - He is the BEST in Bangkok for Satellite Installations and as for his PRICE - Well i would rather put my Hand in my Pockect and pay a little extra for the Installation

    The Most Important part of your system is Your Satellite Dish Installation

    Jsat Price is cheap - Try UK Price for a proffessionl Install you would pay 4 Times the Price Of Jsat Install .

    We ONLY do install's in Phuket and we charge more than Jsat

    If your in Bkk and Surroundings Area I would call Jsat.tv

    He dont need to drop his price

    The MAN knows his Job and for sure his the best Satellite Installer in BKK


  8. #8
    Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    THAILAND
    Posts
    1,437
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    The published rate of Jsat, who by the way usesThai labour, is $35 an HOUR.
    The Thai installers usually charge $30 a DAY
    Nuff said .

  9. #9
    SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bletchley Park Code Breaking Lab
    Posts
    2,521
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    The published rate of Jsat, who by the way usesThai labour, is $35 an HOUR. The Thai installers usually charge $30 a DAY ...Nuff said .
    Sure US$30 a day for no signals sounds fair.

    I have stayed at JSAT's house and we dicuss our toys and our experiences. If you want proofessionals pay for it.

    Over here in Taiwan I have set prices for installs unless it's a re-install or a dish only install for a new customer. I only charge US$61 per hour but I do my own work. JSAT also does a lot of his own work himself but he cant be everywhere at once.

    Why can I charge these prices, because the local installers lose their dishes in every typhoon and mine stay put, on the satellite and don't drop signals. I dont use crap cable TV coax and I use F connectors with O ring seals and water proof tape. The locals use cable tv twist on connectors and no tape. I employ local guys who must work to my standards as well.

    Also living costs here are a lot higher than in Thiland as are local salaries.

    Funny how expats want the best services, get paid thousands of US$ a month then expect everything to be done for 10 cents.

    I have had to re align many installs where the installers here think on signal is enough without checking if the dish or lnb are correctly tuned to the satellite. Near enough is good enough.

    I am the only company that privides a list of channel links and schedules and has a forum for my own customers. I provide online help as well whenever possible. Usually cause somebody thought doing a factory reset sounds like fun.

    I reckon you should just do your own installs then. You can save that US$30 per day.

    Maybe Cband can tell me if he can live in Thailand on US$30 per day?
    If Evolution works, why so many idiots?


  10. #10
    Member Mentor
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    873
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    Sure US$30 a day for no signals sounds fair.

    I have stayed at JSAT's house and we dicuss our toys and our experiences. If you want proofessionals pay for it.

    Over here in Taiwan I have set prices for installs unless it's a re-install or a dish only install for a new customer. I only charge US$61 per hour but I do my own work. JSAT also does a lot of his own work himself but he cant be everywhere at once.

    Why can I charge these prices, because the local installers lose their dishes in every typhoon and mine stay put, on the satellite and don't drop signals. I dont use crap cable TV coax and I use F connectors with O ring seals and water proof tape. The locals use cable tv twist on connectors and no tape. I employ local guys who must work to my standards as well.

    Also living costs here are a lot higher than in Thiland as are local salaries.

    Funny how expats want the best services, get paid thousands of US$ a month then expect everything to be done for 10 cents.

    I have had to re align many installs where the installers here think on signal is enough without checking if the dish or lnb are correctly tuned to the satellite. Near enough is good enough.

    I am the only company that privides a list of channel links and schedules and has a forum for my own customers. I provide online help as well whenever possible. Usually cause somebody thought doing a factory reset sounds like fun.

    I reckon you should just do your own installs then. You can save that US$30 per day.

    Maybe Cband can tell me if he can live in Thailand on US$30 per day?
    Very clear explaination of what the customer is paying for
    Proffessional Install and a dish that dont fall down or ends up 5km down the road somewhere

    Maybe CBand can live for $30 a day in bangkok

    But a Proffesional Man and is Team can charge whatever there price for there expertise and knowledge and customer satisfaction .

  11. #11
    Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    THAILAND
    Posts
    1,437
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    To imply that all local sat engineers are unable to carry out their work efficiently and professionally and that an expat engineer is superior is to defame the whole local population and is a colonial type of attitude.
    I am sure that there are indigenous sat installers in Thailand who are as good if not better than expat ones.
    So why pay 500 percent more for identical work ? In any case it is always better to employ a local as these men need to feed their families whereas the expat engineers often do not need the money anyway and their work is just a pastime or hobby to keep themselves busy.

    By the way a normal salary in Bangkok would be B7000 ( around $200 pm) so B1000 a day represents a good living wage for them with which they are very happy.

  12. #12
    Member Mentor
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    873
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    To imply that all local sat engineers are unable to carry out their work efficiently and professionally and that an expat engineer is superior is to defame the whole local population and is a colonial type of attitude.
    I am sure that there are indigenous sat installers in Thailand who are as good if not better than expat ones.
    So why pay 500 percent more for identical work ? In any case it is always better to employ a local as these men need to feed their families whereas the expat engineers often do not need the money anyway and their work is just a pastime or hobby to keep themselves busy.

    By the way a normal salary in Bangkok would be B7000 ( around $200 pm) so B1000 a day represents a good living wage for them with which they are very happy.
    jeeeze in phuket you will not get a local thai man out of bed for that
    average install by a thai local in phuket is around 4/5000 baht ( thai local ) depending on how difficult the installation .

    My original post was not about you feeding the pockects of a FARANG as you say and depreive the locals .

    I clearly answered your post about you needed help and gave you the best possible advise i know - That was for you to contact Jsat for a true proffesional install as you clearly stated he has thai workers so my post was actaully feeding the pockects of thai's and not farang ?

    My advice was correct and i stand by my original post Jsat is the ONLY true proffessional satellite installer i know in Bangkok ..

    If you know any better then get these locals to contact me as i always looking for good satellite installers who know what there doing

    I do not defame thais i have supported thailand since 1989 and all my staff are thai and all my family are thai - I also have employed 100s of thais in the Entertainment Bizz and also in the Property Market .

    I also support local thai charitys

    I just clearly answered your post and adivsed you in the best possible way and as you stated his installers are THAI ?

    Last edited by PhuketSatellite; 3rd November 2007 at 16:51.

  13. #13
    Moderator Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Africa-Kenya-Nbi
    Posts
    3,108
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    I do find profesionals charges are always high, but it pays in the end
    and you always have in my country a one year warranty with any
    professional installation, and all if anything would go wrong, not on material,
    the customer will not want to know, but to watch.
    and the other factor, you"ll always find the proffesionals whenever
    anything goes wrong, or just for advise.
    All that is where the high fee goes.
    We have had some experience to correct bad installations, the fee is still
    the same from an expert.
    Its good to use the cheaper services, but when anything goes wrong, they
    too should be at hand to correct and compensate.

  14. #14
    Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Near Chennai, India
    Posts
    197
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    Just purchased a new undamaged solid 1.8 M prime focus dish. Manufacturer JIAXIN China.
    It looks just like every other dish of its size and comes on a stand .
    Well my installer spent a whole day with this dish and used an lnb which had been fully tested on other dishes.
    Result : my installer could not get ANY signal strong enough to show a picture and had tried both C band and Ku.
    Seems my money was wasted and can only use the dish as an ornament.
    Is my installer wrong ? Can any properly manufactured dish be so useless ?
    PS the focus was mathematically and physically correct
    Dear C-BAND
    Is it possible to provide some photos of your installed dish. If so many of our members may help to correct the dish by your self.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    THAILAND
    Posts
    1,437
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Selvaraj View Post
    Dear C-BAND
    Is it possible to provide some photos of your installed dish. If so many of our members may help to correct the dish by your self.
    Thanks. If you click on the website on above previuous posting on this thread you will see a photo of the actual dish and may be able to spot something unusual . It is not currently installed but stands as an ornament because it could not be used on any satellite.
    [Please note...I did not point any finger of blame on my Thai installer...my suspicions were aimed at the Chinese dish manufacturer !]

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top