Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Dreambox Control Center Cannot Get IP

Before the crash of my dreambox I had no problems acquiring an IP for it in the Dreambox Control Center, using it in the browser ( Firefox ). Since it was returned to me, it has been a nightmare trying to get an IP. The search function has thus far given me two IP's. The first one 192.168.0.164 worked briefly, the second one 192.168.0.248 never did. In the firewall settings I allowed Dreambox Control Center to have access in and out, and in the log file I can see its quite active at going places, but its obviously not doing anything for me. Both my PC's work and the client connects to the internet through the host PC. The host PC connects to the internet through Huawei fixed wireless terminal.I have run the network set-up wizard numerous times with everything turned on, it has not helped, as a matter of fact after the last time I got all red lines from the switch to the dreambox, to the PC. This is driving me crazy and so far this dreambox has been a waste of money. In the communication setup window it has been reading as follows. IP: 10.0.0.97 , DHCP is checked, Netmask 255.0.0.0, Type LAN, Name Server 192.168.0.1 which is the host PC, Gateway 127.0.0.1 Enable Network is checked , port 80, I have spoken to PhuketSatellite about this and he told me to get a router instead of the switch I have, which works. I went so far as to get a router, but the computer shop I go to said that a router wont work with a wireless internet setup. Any advise on getting this small Nightmarebox to work would be great. I don't know what image is in there now. THE CP is whats on the screen.

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

I think I have a similar problem with Aiji cordless dial up, cannot connect through a router but all have to go direct to comp.
    What I have to do all the time I go on and off is, uncheck DHCP and enter the IP address you want, actually showing on the DCC, then save . after that do the connection and GREEN bar will come on connected.
    only when one of the two goes off I find the IP address changes again on the DM. Try check off the DHCP and enter IP manually on DM, also you can choose to enter the number on the DM ip,manually on the dcc. or search on the dcc and accept.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cogil View Post
    I think I have a similar problem with Aiji cordless dial up, cannot connect through a router but all have to go direct to comp.
    What I have to do all the time I go on and off is, uncheck DHCP and enter the IP address you want, actually showing on the DCC, then save . after that do the connection and GREEN bar will come on connected.
    only when one of the two goes off I find the IP address changes again on the DM. Try check off the DHCP and enter IP manually on DM, also you can choose to enter the number on the DM ip,manually on the dcc. or search on the dcc and accept.
    Thanks cogil. That's something I can try tomorrow. Will let you know how it works. Previously, before the crash it worked by itself, when it had Nabilosat image in it.

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by mellow View Post
    I don't know what image is in there now. THE CP is whats on the screen.
    That would be GP which stands for Gemini Project.
    So it's running a Gemini image.
    I've had the same problem mellow. But solved it the same way as cogil suggested.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cogil View Post
    cogil: Today I sat down and attempted to follow your instructions. I unchecked the DHCP and entered an Address which has worked before, after that I finally got a network connection showing from the switch to the PC ( previously the line was red now turned green ) I then entered the address into the Control Center and pressed reconnect. I then get a error message " 10057 in function socket not connected ". I tried this with 3 different addresses. I then re- checked DHCP and did a search for an address but none was found. I unchecked DHCP to try a search that way which also got no results. The Dreambox Control Center has full access in and out of the firewall and it asks for it when the computer is booted up, I allow access after connecting to the internet. I am using Dreambox Control Center v2.93 I also tried 2.94. I unchecked DHCP rebooted the computer , started up DCC and there was no longer any network connection from switch to PC the line is now red again, and DHCP checked itself in the communication setup window of the Dreambox, I suppose because of not pushing save.
    When I uncheck DHCP enter address 192.168.0.164 and enter same address in Control Center the connection between switch and PC turns green again but the connection to the Dreambox remains red.

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

cogil: Today I sat down and attempted to follow your instructions. I unchecked the DHCP and entered an Address which has worked before, after that I finally got a network connection showing from the switch to the PC ( previously the line was red now turned green ) I then entered the address into the Control Center and pressed reconnect. I then get a error message " 10057 in function socket not connected ". I tried this with 3 different addresses. I then re- checked DHCP and did a search for an address but none was found. I unchecked DHCP to try a search that way which also got no results. The Dreambox Control Center has full access in and out of the firewall and it asks for it when the computer is booted up, I allow access after connecting to the internet. I am using Dreambox Control Center v2.93 I also tried 2.94. I unchecked DHCP rebooted the computer , started up DCC and there was no longer any network connection from switch to PC the line is now red again, and DHCP checked itself in the communication setup window of the Dreambox, I suppose because of not pushing save.
    When I uncheck DHCP enter address 192.168.0.164 and enter same address in Control Center the connection between switch and PC turns green again but the connection to the Dreambox remains red.
    Hi mellow,
    am no dm expert, but this are just the problems i have gone through,
    again and again.
    One of the factors difference is the IP address for comp and DM only differs on the last numbers - from single digit 1 to 254.
    I do connection direct to pc and not through a switch or hub.
    Like just now when I try with the switch option checked, i see a red line btwn DM and Switch, but green between comp and DM, while you need both.
    The switch normally has no IP while routers do, and routers or switches do have shorter ip addresses. could you have mis wired your dm to be detected as a switcher. Also cables for comp to switcher are different from those between switcher and DM.Maybe try a direct connection minus switcher and you'll be on my way then after that sort out your switcher.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Before the crash of my dreambox I had no problems acquiring an IP for it in the Dreambox Control Center, using it in the browser ( Firefox ). Since it was returned to me, it has been a nightmare trying to get an IP. The search function has thus far given me two IP's. The first one 192.168.0.164 worked briefly, the second one 192.168.0.248 never did. In the firewall settings I allowed Dreambox Control Center to have access in and out, and in the log file I can see its quite active at going places, but its obviously not doing anything for me. Both my PC's work and the client connects to the internet through the host PC. The host PC connects to the internet through Huawei fixed wireless terminal.I have run the network set-up wizard numerous times with everything turned on, it has not helped, as a matter of fact after the last time I got all red lines from the switch to the dreambox, to the PC. This is driving me crazy and so far this dreambox has been a waste of money. In the communication setup window it has been reading as follows. IP: 10.0.0.97 , DHCP is checked, Netmask 255.0.0.0, Type LAN, Name Server 192.168.0.1 which is the host PC, Gateway 127.0.0.1 Enable Network is checked , port 80, I have spoken to PhuketSatellite about this and he told me to get a router instead of the switch I have, which works. I went so far as to get a router, but the computer shop I go to said that a router wont work with a wireless internet setup. Any advise on getting this small Nightmarebox to work would be great. I don't know what image is in there now. THE CP is whats on the screen.
    mellow, the dreambox is not a waste of money. u had some bad luck until now. hang in there until all is solved.

you dont need a router, though preferable.
    let us know the ip of ur pc. and also if its a fixed ip.

the thing u shud do in the meantime is check ur LAN cable connected to the box.
    then remove power from modem, switch and all connected (incl. box and comps).
    restore power.
    from what i c ur modems ip is set at 192.168.0.1
    type this in ur browser and check Start IP Address: and End IP Address:

now if the box is still not working with dcc

IP: 192.168.0.164 , (or ip in range of Start IP Address: and End IP Address)
    DHCP is NOT checked,
    Netmask 255.255.255.0,
    Type LAN,
    Name Server 192.168.0.1
    Gateway 192.168.0.1
    Enable Network is checked ,
    port 80

if all is working again, try to connect ur pc's direct to the switch

good luck

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

the person who told you that the router will not work in a wireless internet setup should be hit on the head, and hit HARD enough. you should find a router that has bridging mode capability, that way, you don't even need a computer to dial-in your connection. all your pc and dm will connect to the router. pc/dm -> router -> modem -> internet.

i am not an expert in DM as well, but the way i see it, you have a conflict in your IP range. try to make this:

1. on the main pc which is connected to the internet, make the IP of 192.168.0.1 (this will be your gateway IP/PC)
    2. on your host pc (if you have any) make the IP of 192.168.0.2
    3. assign the IP 192.168.0.3 to your dreambox.
    4. make all of this on the same subnet.

DISABLE all presence of DHCP everywhere! DCHP will simply give you headaches, since you are only managing a handfull of internet devices, you might as well do it manually for troubleshooting purposes.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph View Post
    the person who told you that the router will not work in a wireless internet setup should be hit on the head, and hit HARD enough. you should find a router that has bridging mode capability, that way, you don't even need a computer to dial-in your connection. all your pc and dm will connect to the router. pc/dm -> router -> modem -> internet.

i am not an expert in DM as well, but the way i see it, you have a conflict in your IP range. try to make this:
    Still appreciate your training,
    would this router have a connection for modems with com 1 9pin connector or usb connection. All this phones only have the two for connection to the computer, but not the "LAN - Ethernet" kind of connector.
    I also want to use a router as on your advise.

Thread Information