Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Friend
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Astra 19.2E in Dubai

Hi,

does anyone knows how big a dish is needed to receive Astra 19.2E in Dubai?

Any experience?

Thanks.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by charly20 View Post
    Hi,
    does anyone knows how big a dish is needed to receive Astra 19.2E in Dubai?
    Any experience?
    Thanks.
    maybe you can try with 20ft and above? :P
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

thanks for your input but it is pure speculation.

I need real experience of people in Dubai who receive Astra 19,2E.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

have you checked lately on the footprint of the satellite you are asking. WE ARE WAY OUT OF FOOTPRINT from Astra. not even a fragment of side lobe signal can be obtained from the middle east. maybe if you are somewhere in egypt, libya, or somewhere nort, then MAYBE you may get SOME transponders, though there is no guarantee.

to wit: we have tried it with 12ft solid here in Kuwait and we did not get anything. a dish bigger than that would require a crane to lift to the rooftop, so it's your call if you want to wait for somebody to claim that they have got Astra from Dubai. just make sure before you buy the dish and have it installed that you are GUARANTEED reception of the channel you are trying to aim. you know how it is here in middle east, they will always tell you everything is good and blame it to the ants on your rooftop when you cannot get the signal.

what the heck, i'll be more than happy to be proven wrong on this so that others may replicate the success story of Astra reception in middle east (so that we can all forget about hotbird and all the channels we are losing).
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Members are receiving Astra even in south India see this thread.

http://www.rdi-board.com/showthread....h+India&page=2

Analogue channels on 12 feet and Digital on 16 feet dish in south India.
    Strongest transponder is also mentioned.
    Good things comes to those who wait.

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

@ boknoy_ph:

I am not scared of out of footprint reception.

I live in Brussels/Belgium at the moment and I receive all Nilesat transponders even though I am way out of footprint:

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/images/nile101.gif

To achive that, I use a 240cm PFA dish (8 feet) from Finland (Aerial Oy):

http://www.aerial.fi/prod_ant_Satellite.asp

http://www.aerial.fi/ep/tiedostot/Sa...V_antennas.pdf

Here is a picture of the dish in my garden:

So I know what it takes to get out of footprint reception.

I know that Astra in Dubai is very far stretched. But I have read that the Ambassy of Great Britain in Dubai uses a 5m dish (16 feet) to receive Astra.

I will be moving to Dubai soon and I dont want to give up on receiving Astra. So I thought if I buy a excellent quality 4.5m to 5m dish, it should work. But before buying, I wanted to have more feedback about Astra reception in Dubai.

Regarding your experience in Kuwait, I can share with you my experience with Kuwait as I have family there and I have been to Kuwait a few times:

Sat equipment in Kuwait is of poor quality. I have been to all the sat shops in Kuwait City, between Beirut St. and Abdullah Al Uthman St. I also have been on the roofs of many buildings and houses in Kuwait in order to take a look at the dishes and equipment. So I know about sat equipment in Kuwait.

I, myself, bought a 6 feet dish from RTG in Kuwait (I paid 9 KD). Here is a picture of the dish in my garden in Belgium:

I can tell you that the dish is very poor, with poor performance results. The dish is made by Jonsa in Taiwan:

http://www.jonsa.com.tw/

So you tell me that you tried to receive Astra in Kuwait with a 12 feet dish. But if you used a cheap dish from China, Taiwan or equivalent, it does not surprise me that results were negative. Do you have a picture of the dish you used to try to receive Astra? Can you give me the technical specifications of the dish?

Reception results of Astra in Dubai with first quality dishes such as Andrew, Patriot, Vertex or Prodelin (all from the USA) would be most interesting.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

i cannot give you any picture as you have provided since the house that we tried that on is on Riggae (that was some two years ago). so im very happy to be proven wrong on this, i can blame the dish here in kuwait.

different satellites will have different performances in different places with different equipments being used. that is why i said that people would be more than happy to replicate your success story if you can prove it. it is easy to talk and claim about so many things, but to prove it with video and audio (there has been a lot of topic on this already in the past, specifically some technicians in Dubai claiming to be able to install Astra without guarantees).

so good luck, buy your dish. or if you do not trust the dishes here in the middle east, bring your own and set it up in Dubai when you come over. your question can be considered rhetorical sine you already know the answer to your own question even before you asked for it by providing the "proof" of Astra being receivable by the UK embassy.
    CCcam 2.1.4

az30094

I am wondering if it is really worth to spend the extra bucks on the quality and size of dish just to receive signals from Astra?

For most of the average viewers like me, it is enough to have a modest dish and a modest receiver and receive enough channels from the birds available in this region. The kind of viewing experience we get from the two most popular birds of the region - Badr (Arabsat) and Niesat, plus another dish added to view the ethnic channels for most Asians as well as Europeans can cover all the aspects of entertainment as well as inotainment.

By the way, watching satellite channels is not my passion, but just a pastime. Hence, many professionals may disagree with me.

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

what about eutelsat w2 can we get it in bahren?

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by az30094 View Post
    I am wondering if it is really worth to spend the extra bucks on the quality and size of dish just to receive signals from Astra?
    Thanks but that is MY choice. Cheers.

Thread Information