Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Thread: agc problem??

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default agc problem??

intermittant flashing of agc indicator,,and lost lnb signal,,any thoughts?
    also,,if hotplugging the lnb cable(yes, i realise this is not a recomended practice,but done with care)i notice if the cable only has contact from the centre wire,,it shows agc signal untill pushed in and earth contact is made.
    what causes this,,,any thoughts are appreciated
    cheers,,,dave

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

your AGC sense its losing signal. check your cable contacts from lnb down to your receiver. poor contact usually results in signal losses. of course, stabilty of the dish itself counts.

Note: do not disconnect / reconnect your cable to your receiver when it's powered ON, coz it may create "spark". before you know it your arse is all over the receiver wondering what went wrong.....

lighter side is if you are using multi-lnb's probably a pigeon just started making a nests out of those lnb's

see how comfi her nest sits at the back of this 60cm eliptical mesh dish....
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

swapped out the cables many times,,but alll seem to show agc varying from 80-100% with occasional drops to 16,,,any thoughts on this please?
    lnb is tested on another system and ok
    cheers,,,dave

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by davidss1 View Post
    swapped out the cables many times,,but alll seem to show agc varying from 80-100% with occasional drops to 16,,,any thoughts on this please?
    lnb is tested on another system and ok
    yes my thoughts are stop messing.no mater how many fancy switchs you use the dm doesnt like it run 1 stb at once turn off your f1 and use dm upto now you have had problems with a blown lmb which you have taken apart severl diq switch and format your f1 i dont know how meany times if you had done wot you was told mnths ago you would have any hassel if you want f1 and dm on at same time get extra dish and posistioner for your dm

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

assuming your dish is focused and positioned properly.........

simply swapping cables do not actually isolates your problem.

Q: how long your cables are? A: the longer your cable becomes; chances are you also losses signal quality and strength.

Q: is your cable cheaper than cheap? A: if yes, not good for signal quality and strength.

Q: is your cable having a "coupler"?, means you joined 2 cables together coz your cable run short.. A: if yes, not very good also for signal quality and strength..

these are only factors you might consider..........

above all, cable durability do counts. http://www.mjsales.net/cat2.asp?this...=266&cat2ID=34
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by big pimpin View Post
    yes my thoughts are stop messing.no mater how many fancy switchs you use the dm doesnt like it run 1 stb at once turn off your f1 and use dm upto now you have had problems with a blown lmb which you have taken apart severl diq switch and format your f1 i dont know how meany times if you had done wot you was told mnths ago you would have any hassel if you want f1 and dm on at same time get extra dish and posistioner for your dm
    hi brother,,,u are correct in saying the db will not work with another stb IF there are trying to use different polarization eg: h or v. but this will NOT damage anything..,..only resulting in the largest voltage selecting the polarization ,meaning the box with the most voltage applied at the time will win out.,,this is irrespective of the order of looping the stb's.

yes, i could have stopped playing around a few months ago ,,and maybe be watching tv right now,,,but since then and due to my "playing" i have increased my knowledge and am now trying to config a more complicated lnb/dish array.

some lessons learned have been free,,others have had a price attached,but i think this is a normal scenario for anyone trying to progress in this knowledge.

the lnb that i repaired is working ok,even after all replies telling me to simply throw it away and replace it .im not scared to try things,as others maybe that advise not to even try.

you mention previously in another thread that u have also had equipment failures re:diseqc switches etc,,can u tell me what lead to these failures,,,were U playingor was it simply hardware fault? please share ur experiences to save people(maybe even me) from problems that could be avoided.

my question in this thread was pertaining to agc levels,,,do u have anything informative on this subject ?

help me brother,,,just dont try to kick me when im down!
    cheers,,,dave

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    assuming your dish is focused and positioned properly.........

simply swapping cables do not actually isolates your problem.

Q: how long your cables are? A: the longer your cable becomes; chances are you also losses signal quality and strength.

Q: is your cable cheaper than cheap? A: if yes, not good for signal quality and strength.

Q: is your cable having a "coupler"?, means you joined 2 cables together coz your cable run short.. A: if yes, not very good also for signal quality and strength..

these are only factors you might consider..........

above all, cable durability do counts. http://www.mjsales.net/cat2.asp?this...=266&cat2ID=34
    hi brother,,thnx for ur reply,
    i have tested with long and short cables to same conclusion.
    have tried to use single spans without couplers.
    im not sure about the cable quality,,but this could be a factor . i actually found one section of cable that had become water saturated between the cores and insulation and had permiated the full length of the run,,,this was with tape covering all conections but after a few years of service.its now in the bin.
    cheers,,,dave

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

hi brother,,thnx for ur reply,
    i have tested with long and short cables to same conclusion.
    have tried to use single spans without couplers.
    im not sure about the cable quality,,but this could be a factor . i actually found one section of cable that had become water saturated between the cores and insulation and had permiated the full length of the run,,,this was with tape covering all conections but after a few years of service.its now in the bin.
    Just look at ur F1 connectors, they can sit lose and u wud not notice that.
    furthermore u can use a multimeter 2 check if ur cable doesnt short.
    and yes, use, fiddel, mis-use the box as much as u can. its the only way 2 increase ur knowledge.
    in the end the box can always be flashed or jtagged.
    u can even get a new pcb if it alll went very wrong

Thread Information