Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

FINISHED&GONE WITH SILENT Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default whats mean by, chmod 755 in db?

dear dream box experts, plz any one explain me to "whats mean by, chmod 755 in db?"-for example...."in var/bin chmod 755"
    -sorry for open a new thread for db help....dear mods ,after i got a reply, plz add this to main thread, thankx for understanding!
    -regards

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

There are two answers to this quesion. The first one is for a dreambox users and is enough. The second answer is also for Dreambox users but abit advanced users.

Answer 1;
    The chmod simple tells linux that this file is an executeable file. In windows we use the extension ".exe" for executeable files. Linux does not has this type of extension. Instead it treats all the files the same way unless u tell it what type of file it is.

Answer 2;
    The chmod command make a file/script executeable by changing its attributes. The syntax of the chmod command is as folllows

Code:
    chmod ABC filename
    The ABC is the 3 digit code to set attributes. The three digit are for three types of users.

A is the attributes for the owner of the file "i.e. Dreambox"
    B is the attributes for the group i.e Dreambox but in case of linux this can be other users.
    C is the attributes for world. Means anyone who can access this file.

The code made from the sum of three permission.
    1 is for Executeable.
    2 is for Writeable.
    4 is for Readble.

now if u want to make a file executeable for the owner then u will have to make it "4" but u must also give the perimison of reading a file. because u cant executea a file if u can read it so the permission will be the sum of the two.
    Execute + Read

4 + 1 = 5 (file is readable and executeable)

so the chmod code will be as follows.

Code:
    chmod 500 filename
    this file will be readable and executeabe by the owner of the file only. To give read persmission to everyone u can use this command

Code:
    chmod 544 filename
    now everyone can view it but only the owner can execute it.

normally you only use the 755 or 644. I think u should know the meaning of these codes now.

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by tahir_ali View Post
    There are two answers to this quesion. The first one is for a dreambox users and is enough. The second answer is also for Dreambox users but abit advanced users.

Answer 1;
    The chmod simple tells linux that this file is an executeable file. In windows we use the extension ".exe" for executeable files. Linux does not has this type of extension. Instead it treats all the files the same way unless u tell it what type of file it is.

Answer 2;
    The chmod command make a file/script executeable by changing its attributes. The syntax of the chmod command is as folllows

Code:
    chmod ABC filename
    The ABC is the 3 digit code to set attributes. The three digit are for three types of users.

A is the attributes for the owner of the file "i.e. Dreambox"
    B is the attributes for the group i.e Dreambox but in case of linux this can be other users.
    C is the attributes for world. Means anyone who can access this file.

The code made from the sum of three permission.
    1 is for Executeable.
    2 is for Writeable.
    4 is for Readble.

now if u want to make a file executeable for the owner then u will have to make it "4" but u must also give the perimison of reading a file. because u cant executea a file if u can read it so the permission will be the sum of the two.
    Execute + Read

4 + 1 = 5 (file is readable and executeable)

so the chmod code will be as follows.

Code:
    chmod 500 filename
    this file will be readable and executeabe by the owner of the file only. To give read persmission to everyone u can use this command

Code:
    chmod 544 filename
    now everyone can view it but only the owner can execute it.

normally you only use the 755 or 644. I think u should know the meaning of these codes now.
    thankx for the great explanation ...but i am very poor in cpu and linux.....so that , i am asking with blindly....i just read one read me file is that
    "fbiss in var/bin chmod 755
    biss.key in var/keys chmod 755"
    -whats this means? and how i can put this files in specific folder in dreambox? if it says as " var/bin" , then its ok.....but, then "chmod755"..what can i do next?

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

To copy the files and change its attributes (chmod) easly use any ftp program. Alot of people use the windows explorere to copy files to their dreambox. This is easy but you cannot set persmission using the windows explorer. Use any FTP program. Alot of dreambox experts recomend FlashFXP. But you can use any FTP program to copy files. And to change the attributes of the file Right click on the file in the dreambox window and look for Properties/Attributes/Settings. And then set the 3 digit code there.

Or you can use a vitual terminal to connect to your dreambox and use its command iterpreter to set permission. Its a bit hard. To connect to the dreambox through virtual terminal use Telnet or Putty.

to use Telnet use the following procedure.

Click Start --> Run and type
    telnet youre_dreambox_ip press enter

id: root
    pass: dreambox (default password)

then use the cd command to go the folder where u have to change ther file permission. eg. to chmod fbiss to 755 in var/bin use the following procedure after u login to dreambox.

cd var
    cd bin
    chmod 755 fbiss

or u can use the single command to change it.

chmod 755 /var/bin/fbiss

But I would prefer that you use a graphical ftp client to change attributes.

alanpaladka

If you are using DCC, just right click on that specified file and then click on "Attributes" option. Then you will see "755" button. Just click on that.

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by tahir_ali View Post
    To copy the files and change its attributes (chmod) easly use any ftp program. Alot of people use the windows explorere to copy files to their dreambox. This is easy but you cannot set persmission using the windows explorer. Use any FTP program. Alot of dreambox experts recomend FlashFXP. But you can use any FTP program to copy files. And to change the attributes of the file Right click on the file in the dreambox window and look for Properties/Attributes/Settings. And then set the 3 digit code there.

Or you can use a vitual terminal to connect to your dreambox and use its command iterpreter to set permission. Its a bit hard. To connect to the dreambox through virtual terminal use Telnet or Putty.

to use Telnet use the following procedure.

Click Start --> Run and type
    telnet youre_dreambox_ip press enter

id: root
    pass: dreambox (default password)

then use the cd command to go the folder where u have to change ther file permission. eg. to chmod fbiss to 755 in var/bin use the following procedure after u login to dreambox.

cd var
    cd bin
    chmod 755 fbiss

or u can use the single command to change it.

chmod 755 /var/bin/fbiss

But I would prefer that you use a graphical ftp client to change attributes.
    thankx for ur great help.........

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by alanpaladka View Post
    If you are using DCC, just right click on that specified file and then click on "Attributes" option. Then you will see "755" button. Just click on that.
    thank u alan......its very helpful to me!

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

time to polish your linux CLI, lol.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

great Sir.tahir_ali
    I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"

Thread Information