Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Junior
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Anyone Help Out w/ Knowledge

Here in the U.S. Have a Dish 522 DVR; home-boy didn't pay the bill and left, is there a way to change the Smart Card ?ID? There is no smart card present only a slot named "Smart Card"......any help, real help, no f$$ b.s. thanks

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

I take it your talking about a "Direct" or "Dish TV" subscription. The chances are, if the owner of the satellite dish // receivers, shot through, then the pay provider will want the back rental fee's before they will issue a new sub card. or if you have the sub card that has been de-activated. Then it might be a lot easer and cheaper for you to take out another subscription, and start a-fresh.

As for your comments about ,,

Quote Originally Posted by jakereuben View Post
    any help, real help, no f$$ b.s. thanks
    That sort of comment will get you no-where, All that will archive, is you will be ignored
    regards from OZ bassett

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Assuming that is true

Wouldn't there be a way to reprogram everything, after all finder's keepers Seems like the smart card slot might have somthing to do with that, I dont know....
    Last edited by jakereuben; 9th September 2007 at 06:17.

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Not so, In some cases, receivers become the renters proparty after a qualifying peried, In others they always remain the proparty of the pay provider, as does the dish.
    As you haven't said who the pay provider is, there is no way of knowing.
    Cards can be reprogrammed via the pay provider, some cards can be re-writern, but again we don't know the system or the encryption being used. In most cases subscriptions that fall into debit, the cards are automaticly de-commissioned. But they make good ice-scrapers for your car windscreen
    regards from OZ bassett

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jakereuben View Post
    Wouldn't there be a way to reprogram everything, after all finder's keepers Seems like the smart card slot might have somthing to do with that, I dont know....

Finders keepers no mate. Dish TV and Dish netwrok do not sell receivers. They only lease them and they always own them. Read their contracts.
    If Evolution works, why so many idiots?

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default re:

Quote Originally Posted by bassett View Post
    Not so, In some cases, receivers become the renters proparty after a qualifying peried, In others they always remain the proparty of the pay provider, as does the dish.
    As you haven't said who the pay provider is, there is no way of knowing.
    Cards can be reprogrammed via the pay provider, some cards can be re-writern, but again we don't know the system or the encryption being used. In most cases subscriptions that fall into debit, the cards are automaticly de-commissioned. But they make good ice-scrapers for your car windscreen
    Yes thats true, but in this case I purchased a home with the equipment as part of the deal. The original owner had already paid for the equipment.(he hadn't paid his final few months of programming) I am the curious type of person and would never go on stealing any ype of service. To me it is more of a quest for kowledge. There isn't anything wrong with knowledge as long as it is not abused. I am interested in why Dish would place on the front of their DVR a place which reads "smart card slot" and in the reference manual claim that it was for future use, but no future use developed. I must admit I am also intrigued as to how the machine was working with no card in the slot for the first few months that I were living in my new home. I thought that were strange as well. Personally, I like understanding things in depth. If someone knows anything about this subject I appreciate your help. And regarding my comment, I apologize, its just that getting any information about this sort of thing is like pulling teeth. I thought we lived in the information age? Also, ironically, I just read an article that was displayed in a national/local paper avaialable in the United States. The most remarkable thing about the article is that it went in depth on how to change hydrogen peroxide into a greater concentrate. (I didn't even know that it could be potentially explosive) The artticle went on to mention the other chemical that could be added to make it extremely volatile. I ommitted the name of that chemical on purpose. Now, what I find strange is the first amendment right protects a nationally available, local newspaper in their complete lack of judgement in publishing such material, but when it comes to knowing how things are working inside my OWN home, somehow I am supposed to stay in the dark and take a back seat to knowledge. Thats the sort of mentality that just blows my mind. Well, ttyl.

here is the link to the article I mentioned: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/wo...erland&emc=rss
    Last edited by jakereuben; 9th September 2007 at 15:41.

Thread Information