Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

az30094
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Default Cable Satellite STB

Recently, I was in Bangalore. I found a friend of mine using a set top box, and he was getting digital channels through the cable. I believe the same cable was carrying Analog channels too.

The set top box has options only to scan for channels and their organization. I did not find any options related to satellite configurations (like LNB settings, Diseq settings etc.).

I want to know:

a. Is both Analog and Digital TV is broadcast on the same cable in Bangalore?
    b. Can a satellite receiver be used as a cable stb? If yes, what special settings to pay attention to?
    c. What are the models of cable STBs available in Bangalore and how much they cost.

I know a lot of RDIers are from Bangalore, and I am expecting a good response.

Silver Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by az30094 View Post
    Recently, I was in Bangalore. I found a friend of mine using a set top box, and he was getting digital channels through the cable. I believe the same cable was carrying Analog channels too.

The set top box has options only to scan for channels and their organization. I did not find any options related to satellite configurations (like LNB settings, Diseq settings etc.).

I want to know:

b. Can a satellite receiver be used as a cable stb? If yes, what special settings to pay attention to?
    c. What are the models of cable STBs available in Bangalore and how much they cost.

I am not from Bangalore but we are using these kinds of stbs from 2003 in Chennai.

YES

NO, but might be possible if you can change the tuner, software etc., which ends as a new stb. Moreover Cable stbs use QAM for modulation. A software change is need for that.

az30094

Quote Originally Posted by lnb15k View Post
    I am not from Bangalore but we are using these kinds of stbs from 2003 in Chennai.

YES

NO, but might be possible if you can change the tuner, software etc., which ends as a new stb. Moreover Cable stbs use QAM for modulation. A software change is need for that.
    Thanks lnb15k, you have made a valuable contribution to my knowledge. Now, I should be planning to buy the stb for the cable. I will appreciate if you highlight some of the stbs available in the local market. Are there any stbs with integrated cable modem built in for accessing internet?

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

I want to know:

Hi,
    Im from Bangalore & we use Humax cable TV receiver, but now my location is middle east, but my folks are there.
    Models depends on the cable operator & you will get a smart card as well, and soon they will make it conditional access or CAS pay for what you watch.
    The present cost is Rs 5000 & may differ from operator to operator, but first check with your cable operator in your locality.
    On digital you can see (EPG) program guide & better picture quality & sound.
    Not sure if there are any STB for satellite & cable 2 in 1, please check Humax site.

Silver Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thanks lnb15k, you have made a valuable contribution to my knowledge. Now, I should be planning to buy the stb for the cable. I will appreciate if you highlight some of the stbs available in the local market. Are there any stbs with integrated cable modem built in for accessing internet?
    I don't know about Bangalore. But normally there won't be anything like that. Because it will increase the price of the set top box. You need to buy STB from your MSO only and also you cannot use it with any other MSO.

Out of curiosity I am asking: Why you need to access internet through the STB?

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

I believe in the US cable STB can be hacked & U even get hacked ready box, also some guys subscribe for minimum & then watch the maximum channels.

az30094

Quote Originally Posted by dom06 View Post
    Hi,
    Im from Bangalore & we use Humax cable TV receiver, but now my location is middle east, but my folks are there.
    Models depends on the cable operator & you will get a smart card as well, and soon they will make it conditional access or CAS pay for what you watch.
    The present cost is Rs 5000 & may differ from operator to operator, but first check with your cable operator in your locality.
    On digital you can see (EPG) program guide & better picture quality & sound.
    Not sure if there are any STB for satellite & cable 2 in 1, please check Humax site.
    Thanks dom06.

I have seen the box in action and was impressed with the quality of picture. That is why I was interested. The box that I saw has a CA slot, but there were no channels that required this option, as all the channels were open by default.

Thanks for the info.

az30094

I don't know about Bangalore. But normally there won't be anything like that. Because it will increase the price of the set top box. You need to buy STB from your MSO only and also you cannot use it with any other MSO.

Sometime back, there were talks of high speed internet access through cable. I remember CityCable operator was even advertising it. I was just curious to know if this thing is available at all.

Silver Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

@Az30094
    Thanks. For that I think a cable modem is enough

MVDIG Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

You can use Dreambox with C Tuner same software and sharing too!

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Sometime back, there were talks of high speed internet access through cable. I remember CityCable operator was even advertising it. I was just curious to know if this thing is available at all.
    Yes long time back from Siticable (Zee network) with an S & also from Hathway cable operators, a bit more expensive, as they compete with BSNL DSL & also CDMA providers like Airtel & TataIndicom are giving wireless & cheaper than them, but Im not sure about their real prices. Just heard about it, may be a google would help.

Thread Information