Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    betasat
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Default C-band motor setup problem - help!

I recently installed my 3.2m c-band dish with 26inch actuator(motor). Problem is, I am able to get sats, but only a few, then the dish seems to move out of alignment.

For example: I am able to get Pas 7/10 (68.5E), Intelsat 906 (64E) and Intelsat 902(62E), but beyond that nothing else - no Thaicom, Telstar 10, NSS 7 etc. What could be the problem. Please help!

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Dish jack

Quote Originally Posted by betasat View Post
    I recently installed my 3.2m c-band dish with 26inch actuator(motor). Problem is, I am able to get sats, but only a few, then the dish seems to move out of alignment.

For example: I am able to get Pas 7/10 (68.5E), Intelsat 906 (64E) and Intelsat 902(62E), but beyond that nothing else - no Thaicom, Telstar 10, NSS 7 etc. What could be the problem. Please help!
    Dear Friend first you have to open the back cover of the Jack (Acutator) and adjust/set the gear safety switch (max) safety range and you then will get the maximum play of the jack ,that mean you get the fullest stretch .
    then you set the dish to east (max) and west (max) and then you go from the Lowest East/West and when you get a sat signal you must mark the said sat(by your remote control) then its stored in the Positioner box or decoder and repeat the process till the max of the Jack. Our other RDI members may give some idea too. Regards

betasat

Thanx Gregory

The problem is not that the motor doesnt move. I've setup the limits etc. But after these sats, its unable to find any of the others. It seems the dish is not following the arc properly or going out of alignment for the other sats.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Thanx Gregory

The problem is not that the motor doesnt move. I've setup the limits etc. But after these sats, its unable to find any of the others. It seems the dish is not following the arc properly or going out of alignment for the other sats.

If ur motor is working well then this is not the motor problem.I think ur angle is wrong bcoz. u can get the sat along 62 to 68.5.U need to alignment ur dish.May be I can wrong but this is my suggestion.

Thx.
    " 李俊明 Born To Help People "

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Silver Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

It is not tracking the arc properly. So you are not receiving them. Elevation might be slightly wrong to start with. I might be wrong as I am not an expert.

betasat

Quote Originally Posted by lnb15k View Post
    It is not tracking the arc properly. So you are not receiving them. Elevation might be slightly wrong to start with. I might be wrong as I am not an expert.
    This seems to be the problem. What I cant understand though, is how it is able to get a few of the sats, but not the rest. My understanding was that once u set one sat, the dish automatically follows the arc. Could it be that my pole is not straight?

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

It sounds like your delegation setting are out a fraction, This sets the dish on the arc, Too much declination and your aimed above the satellite, and not enough and your below the arc.
    Try setting the dish and then doing the old pull up of the dish or pull down . If this gives you a signal, then declination is your problem

What would be a worry for me is your small actuator on a dish of that size. Really for a dish of that size and weight, a 36 inch actuator, would be a lot better, and the further you can mount the thing on the dish ring the better. Actuators exert a tremendous amount of
    torque, which if fitted incorrectly will bend or break a dish fittings before you will stop them, But really the bigger the actuator, the less it needs to work, and the wider you can set the thing, The big problem is on low satellites and if fitted incorrectly instead of driving the dish upwards, it will continue to drive the dish down
    regards from OZ bassett

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by bassett View Post
    It sounds like your delegation setting are out a fraction, This sets the dish on the arc, Too much declination and your aimed above the satellite, and not enough and your below the arc.
    Try setting the dish and then doing the old pull up of the dish or pull down . If this gives you a signal, then declination is your problem

What would be a worry for me is your small actuator on a dish of that size. Really for a dish of that size and weight, a 36 inch actuator, would be a lot better, and the further you can mount the thing on the dish ring the better. Actuators exert a tremendous amount of
    torque, which if fitted incorrectly will bend or break a dish fittings before you will stop them, But really the bigger the actuator, the less it needs to work, and the wider you can set the thing, The big problem is on low satellites and if fitted incorrectly instead of driving the dish upwards, it will continue to drive the dish down
    I agree bassett, that size actuator does seem a bit small for the dish size.
    I used to have one that size on my 3.6 meter dish and it didn't like pulling the dish back up from the lower sats so I ended up buying a 36 " actuator.
    Actuators seem to be stronger pushing than pulling.
    Like the previous posters have already said betasat, you'll definitely need to tweak your settings. Check both elevation and declination.
    Good luck.

betasat

Lightbulb

Guys, thanks for the replies. I guess i'll have to get up there and do some adjustments.

As for the actuator - yep it is 36 inch - not 26 my apologies, that was a typo. I had a 24 inch before but that gave in after 1-and-half years of good service.

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Guys, thanks for the replies. I guess i'll have to get up there and do some adjustments.

As for the actuator - yep it is 36 inch - not 26 my apologies, that was a typo. I had a 24 inch before but that gave in after 1-and-half years of good service.
    Good luck mate. It's probably easiest to find a sat as close to your own longitude coordinates as possible and set your declination and elevation to what they should be.
    Then start swinging either way and adjust. There's some pretty good tutorials around on how to set up your motorised dish.
    If you haven't already got it , Gorbtrack is a free and handy program that can help you a lot. Google it and download it, it's great.
    Let us know how you go.

cheers weirdo

betasat

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    Good luck mate. It's probably easiest to find a sat as close to your own longitude coordinates as possible and set your declination and elevation to what they should be.
    Then start swinging either way and adjust. There's some pretty good tutorials around on how to set up your motorised dish.
    If you haven't already got it , Gorbtrack is a free and handy program that can help you a lot. Google it and download it, it's great.
    Let us know how you go.

cheers weirdo
    Thanks Wierdo. I'll do some searches on the net and try Gorbtrack. Then play around with the dish. Thanks for the help. Will keep u guys posted.

betasat

Ok, guys. I've managed to adjust the elevation. Dish was hitting 60deg elevation at centre most point. Brought that down to 51deg as needed (according to Gorbtrack).

I'm located at 22E so Arabsat C @ 26E is closest. Picks that bird up perfectly. But dish still appears to go out once I reach 62E and further or 1W and further.

I can't manage to get my way round the declination bit. Did some reading but to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

betasat

Sorted!

Thanks guys for your help. Dish is trackign perfectly, picking up everything now. Just need to extend the actuator bracket now so i can move further west.

Silver Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Smile

Sorted!

Thanks guys for your help. Dish is trackign perfectly, picking up everything now. Just need to extend the actuator bracket now so i can move further west.
    Good to hear it. All the best.

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Sorted!

I bet you feel good about achieving it and that it all makes sense now.
    Well done betasat and thanks for the feedback.

Thread Information