Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Junior
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default ProgDVB MPEG2 Recorder

I have been using the SS2 receiver and PROGDVB software for several months with excellent results. I usually keep my system on the ASTRA 19DEGREES satellite. I had a dvd system I bought in Singapore which played back my progdvb MPEG2 recordings with no problems. Last week, however, my dvd recorder broke and I was forced to convert my mpeg2 recordings to DVD format so I could watch them from another DVD player I have which will not play back raw MPEG2 recordings. Yesterday I bought a new DVD playback unit which also decodes MPEG2 recordings. Here is my question: My new DVD playback unit works perfectly with my MPEG2 recordings taken from any of the PREMIERE channels. For all other channels on the ASTRA satellite my playback audio is ok but the video drops frames or has a sync problem and therefore is jumpy. Is there something unique about the Premier channels? All of the mpeg2 players on my computer decodes all of my mpeg2 recordings (Premiere and other provider recordings) with no problem. But this new DVD player I just bought which also decodes MPEG2 will not work properly with any MPEG2 recordings I makes except those I make from Premiere broadcasts. Should I return my DVD player and try another one which decodes MPEG2 or is there a different MPEG2 ENCODER I can use with my PROGDVB which is more versatile than the one that comes with the progam? There is something different between the PREMIERE broadcasts and Digital or Taquilla broadcasts for example. Premiere MPEG2 recordings work just fine but Digital and Taquilla MPEG2 recordings dont work. What is the fix for my problem? I thank you in advance for your answers to my questions.

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

No sure friend;

I'm playing my progDVB recorded stuffs in my PC, never tried with any DVD player. But that does not matter (I think so). May be you should look into the burning process of ur DVD rather looking for problem in the non-premier stream.

Its my perception. You can give it a try.
    Technology Makes You Live

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Reply to Urpradhan

I did try everything I could think of to change method of recording the MPEG2 files and could not get any changes to make a difference. I also tried to analyze the difference between my Premiere and Channel plus recordings but could find no difference. for good movies I like to just make a data dvd by copying the raw MPEG2 FILE to a DVD and then I play the DVD (with only the data MPEG2 recording which can be burned in about 30 seconds) on my large TV. Anyway, I decided that the new DVD unit I had did not have a versatile MPEG2 decoder so I returned it this morning for a cheep 25Euro unit which said it was state of the art MPEG II compatible. This new unit works perfect on all ASTRA broadcasts so my problem is solved. There is a difference between the MPEG II data recorded from Premiere and other channels on ASTRA and I don't know what that difference might be but I now have a DVD player that handles the different MPEG2 recordings and that was all I wanted to do. If I had to burn a true DVD from the MPEG II files I find the process far to long especially when you consider that many DVD players will work perfectly good with the raw MPEG2 FILES. Thank you for your input. Still, if you ever find out what the difference is between the Premiere downstreams and other ASTRA broadcasts I would be interested in knowing. Thanks again, Regards, Dwight1

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by dwight1 View Post
    I did try everything I could think of to change method of recording the MPEG2 files and could not get any changes to make a difference. I also tried to analyze the difference between my Premiere and Channel plus recordings but could find no difference. for good movies I like to just make a data dvd by copying the raw MPEG2 FILE to a DVD and then I play the DVD (with only the data MPEG2 recording which can be burned in about 30 seconds) on my large TV. Anyway, I decided that the new DVD unit I had did not have a versatile MPEG2 decoder so I returned it this morning for a cheep 25Euro unit which said it was state of the art MPEG II compatible. This new unit works perfect on all ASTRA broadcasts so my problem is solved. There is a difference between the MPEG II data recorded from Premiere and other channels on ASTRA and I don't know what that difference might be but I now have a DVD player that handles the different MPEG2 recordings and that was all I wanted to do. If I had to burn a true DVD from the MPEG II files I find the process far to long especially when you consider that many DVD players will work perfectly good with the raw MPEG2 FILES. Thank you for your input. Still, if you ever find out what the difference is between the Premiere downstreams and other ASTRA broadcasts I would be interested in knowing. Thanks again, Regards, Dwight1
    To know the difference between two diffrent stream use MPC (Media Player Classic). Opne your file in MPC then click
    File -> Properties
    then click the Detials tab

you will get info about your stream
    e.g.
    Code:
    Video: MPEG2 Video 720x576 (4:3) 25.00fps 3300Kbps [Video]
    Audio: MPEG Audio 48000Hz stereo 256Kbps [Audio]
    Subtitle: DVD Subpicture [Subtitle]
    Usually the frame size will not be standard. in the agbove case the frame size is in standard size 720x576

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

if you can get hold of a linux box, try dvbsnoop to disect your streams and confirm your suspicions.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Thread Information