Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Thread: about dreambox

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default about dreambox

everybody advising these day's to buy a dreambox, but is this box useable on telephone line connection , ( i have no adsl here in small thai village,the line is running on the main road to an other small village in the back , and they haven't found out yet how to make an extension from this line to other homes here arround, i am about 300m from this main line, but can not do ......, TIT ), and if so,do you need to be online all day , or only update when they changing keys ? , other solution here is to use ipstar sat internet, but also this not working very well in thailand or must i say issaan....
    thanks for any advice or info anyone can give on this matter.......

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by patthai View Post
    everybody advising these day's to buy a dreambox, but is this box useable on telephone line connection , ( i have no adsl here in small thai village,the line is running on the main road to an other small village in the back , and they haven't found out yet how to make an extension from this line to other homes here arround, i am about 300m from this main line, but can not do ......, TIT ), and if so,do you need to be online all day , or only update when they changing keys ? , other solution here is to use ipstar sat internet, but also this not working very well in thailand or must i say issaan....
    hi m8,,as far as i know u can use it with dialup internet,,u would have to stay online for the keys to update.

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

There are 4 options for you:

1)iPSTAR, quite expensive, but works OK for the little data the dreambox sends back and forth. I personally know several people who use it with iPSTAR, and it works OK. Only the uptime of iPSTAR is not always perfect...
    2)Dial-up. There is a plug in available to allow you to connect an older style external modem (with the serial port instead of USB) to your dreambox.
    Never used it myself, and might be difficult to get going.
    3)Dial-up on your PC, and set your PC to allow for internet sharing. Your PC will then act like an adsl modem, it will give internet access to anybody connected to it's LAN port...
    4)GPRS mobile phone. With following firmware (Gemini 3.6) you can directly control a GPRS capable mobile phone.
    http://school.obec.go.th/btnk/dl/sat...0_20070608.zip
    Again, might be not so easy to get going, and finding a gprs mobile phone with a serial cable connection will also not be to easy!

Your 2 best choices are 1 and 3. Option 3 will be the cheapest if you have one of those unlimited dial-up access cards (I guess you have a PC already). Do note that they disconnect you every so often, so you'll need another 3 Baht dial-up call to reconnect.
    With option 1 you have the added advantage of getting faster internet in your place as well.

Cheers

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

I live in Issan,and I had dial up,very slow,was getting about 38kbts.If you,preferably your wife checks around,you will find that it's sub-contractors who put in new lines to various homes.If you have asdl 300 meters away,you can pay these guys to pull a new line to your house.There is no reason why they can't do it,if you pay for the line and labor.I assume you have a phone number.
    I live in the sticks also,but far away from asdl.CAT telecom along with Hutchinson(out of Hong Kong I believe)built a bunch of new towers,like the cell phone ones.They built a new wireless internet network.I bought a fixed wireless terminal from them and at the moment get about 130kbts,its suppose to be upgraded to 512kbts at the end of the year,it also has telephone.The prices are reasonable,especially since I haven't been charged anything while waiting for the upgrade.Personally,I would try to find one of the sub-contractors for the phone company your dealing with,and pay him to pull the line.It should be cheaper than the Fixed Wireless Terminal(about 5,000Baht)and you wouldn't have to wait and hope for the upgrade.

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

i am in pakistan and many time is speed is 24/kb, but dreambox 500s, is ok and channels is open and i whach it. hotbird and panama sat 7/10,

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

can anybody tell me how many Mbs would be used a month (upload and download) on dreambox card share if i use it 24/7. I have datacaps and can only use a few Mbs a month.

Thanks in advance

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Hard to say, but I doubt it's going to be much!
    I'll put a counter on mine and see what it transfers in a 24 hour block.
    Would give us at least a rough idea.

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

or you do what my mate did there wasnt any phone cables for quater of a mile near him the first time he went to the office of tot they said no way you cant have it so a few days later he went back spoke to the manager did a deal for 6k in a white envolope with in 3days he had adsl you should know what there like here money talks iam sure it will be worth a try

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by montypattaya View Post
    Hard to say, but I doubt it's going to be much!
    I'll put a counter on mine and see what it transfers in a 24 hour block.
    Would give us at least a rough idea.

thanks

pls pm me the usage details

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

can you get any unsecured wifi if you can you can use your pc or laptop with db

Thread Information