Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Master
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default DTV Thailand - how does it work?

Shin Corp launched a new cut price DTV satellite service earlier this year for the 'free' Thai TV channels on Ku band on Thaicom 5 (that can also be viewed via True Visions/UBC). I was surprised to find out that the small white STB supplied for DTV does not have a card slot. Previously I had assumed that this service would be similar to the 'freeview' card that was obtainable from UBC, usually with a limited time offer to view premium channels and continued access to the free channels when that lapsed. However, I always understood that the system relied on a card that could decode ****** 2. According to Lyngsat, the basic Thai channels are still encrypted in ****** 2, so how does the cardless receiver work? I never heard of ****** 2 being opened with a firmware-type softcam. Also when I have experimented in the past, the Thai channels wouldn't open with the ****** cam only and no card (i.e. they didn't seem to be 'soft encrypted'). I know these same channels are FTA in C band but I am asking about Ku band. Anybody know from first-hand experience?

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

The answer to your question lies with Shincorp of Singapore.
    Just find their website relating to the service you mention and the name of this service.....I'll do the rest . Ive been seeing a service and box called ipm.
    Could this be it.? ..in any case these channels would be of little interest to non Thai speakers....or should I correct my wording by saying by those who understand Thai. BIG PIMPIN who is Thai surely has the solution.

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Perhaps strictly speaking I should have said 'Shin Broadband', which as I understand it was a subsidiary of the Thaksin family company that is now in Singaporian ownership. The product is sold under the name of 'DTV'. What I was surprised to discover is that the STBs don't use cards but open the Ku band Thai channels - ITV, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11.

The product is interesting to many expats with Thai wives because it allows then to watch ESPN on True Visions while the wife watches the soaps on the cheap DTV system. I should think it would also be very interesting to many on here if the box can decrypt I*****2 from firmware with no card (but I would be surprised if it really does this). The simple answer could be that the Ku channels are now broadcast FTA (even though Lygnsat says no). I'm not presently in Thailand to check this.

From Satnews

Shin Broadband Launches "DTV" - A New Low-Cost Satellite TV Dish for Every Household

June 25, 2007

Shin Broadband Internet (Thailand) Co., Ltd. has announced the the launch of its brand new product named "DTV". DTV is the Ku-band satellite dish set able to receive free-to-air television programs with no monthly fees with the concept of "An affordable Satellite TV Dish for Every Home". The DTV satellite dish set is the lowest cost product in Thailand and in the region. Shin Broadband Internet also launched the special DTV Fantastic Caravan vans to promote the product in four regions of Thailand. The Company aims to install up to one (1) million DTV dishes across the country within the year 2008.

The "DTV" satellite dish uses the lime yellow color to represent liveliness and brightness. The satellite dish can be easily installed by a technician. Viewers no longer need to use the Yagi aerials, which are more expensive and with lower quality signals. According to Shin Broadband’s latest marketing survey, most Thai TV viewers still predominately watch free-to-air channels and do not want to pay monthly fees.

Mr. Tanadit Charoenchan, General Manager of Shin Broadband Internet (Thailand) Co., Ltd., said "Our company, a satellite applications developer, have been developing DTV, a low-cost Ku-band satellite TV dish set, since 2006. Our aim was to build a very low-cost satellite TV dish set that makes it affordable to all households. The product also is high performance with high signal quality and sharp pictures with brilliant colors. The most important point of all is that there are no monthly charges and viewers can receive all free-to-air Thai TV channels (3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and TITV) with digital quality."

"At present, there are many frustrated Thai TV viewers with typical Yagi aerials at home having to put up with unclear picture quality. In addition, to set up a high Yagi aerial is quite costly with no guarantee of receiving sharp pictures for all channels. As everyone knows, TV is still the most popular and cheapest form of entertainment. Therefore, Shin Broadband saw an opportunity to find a solution to benefit TV viewers across the country and came up with the "DTV" product. Our DTV product can receive all free-to-air Thai TV programs directly from the THAICOM satellite in crystal clear digital. Many households, especially in the remote areas, where normally a very high Yagi aerial needs to be erected, will greatly benefit." Added Mr. Tanadit.

After today’s launch of DTV, Shin Broadband plans to expand its distribution channels into the grass roots in order to cope with the high demand. The Company launched pre-marketing and sales activities of the "DTV" product a few months ago and the demand has been enormous and products being sold out. Shin Broadband is therefore confident that it can reach the target of deploying one (1) million DTV sets within the year 2008.

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Brought this back to the top to have a final try for an answer. Surely one of our Thailand experts will have come across DTV?

Thread Information