Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.


Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member Friend
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    28
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default Polarity problem (H/V/L) difference, please experts can you advice me?


    dear friends
    I am able to receive some satellites such as asiasat/panamsat etc OK with my technosat LNB and decoder.

    Looking at the page for Yamal 202
    http://www.lyngsat.com/yamal202.html

    I notice polarity is described as L (instead of the usual V and H)

    My questions:
    1. do I need new LNB to receive this polarity as my LNB can only get V and H polarity?
    2. Do I need new STB also? My stb has only option for Vertical or Horizontal not L, can I use same STB (It is technosat 555)

    dear experts can you please advice me what I should do?
    thank you for your kind help

  2. #2
    Junior Member Junior
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Polarities L and R are circular (left or right). They can be picked up on both V and H provided the signal is strong enough and you dish is big enough.

    Sometimes the signal is slightly stronger on V then H and sometimes it's slightly stronger on H than V.

    No need for a new STB or LNB just try and scan in all the channels with that freq FEC and SR on V or H. If you can't get them on V or H you will probably need a bigger dish.

  3. #3
    Junior Member Friend
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    28
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    dear dragon47
    thank you very much for your kind and helpful reply. I will try that.
    I am in Sri Lanka trying to get Yamal 202. According to footprint it is possible to get Yamal 202 easily in sri Lanka.
    Tried today was unable to locate. Will try again
    Can anyone tell me which are strongest transponders in Yamal 202? So I can try pointing dish while tuned to those? thank you all again
    dish is 6 **** solid dish

    My receiver has only option for Vertical and Horizontal under polarity. How should I set it to L? (it is a Technosat 555)
    Last edited by lank22; 6th July 2007 at 23:52.

  4. #4
    Moderator Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Africa-Kenya-Nbi
    Posts
    3,108
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    for L and H transponders use the teflon plate, fit it in the C band lnb
    then the circular waves can be received as V and H.
    mostly if your dish is not very big, you need the plate.
    Dstv HD PVR

  5. #5
    Junior Member Friend
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    28
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Asante Sana, Cogil. Seeing the flag in your sig brings back fond memories.

    Actually, you guys are lucky in africa as you get excellent satellite coverage and access to satellites like Arabsat and Hotbird which are hard/impossible to receive on this side of the world. The one problem you have is paid satellite TV e.g. multivision is hellishly expensive vs over here where you can get all the channels you want for about $10 - $20.

    Re: teflon plate - I don't seem to have one. Is it possible for me to construct something and use? I have a very simple C band LNB from technosat, opening the lids I just saw a cylinder with two spikes inside I think.

    Do you have any suggestions as to how I could construct one - if not possible I guess I will try to buy another LNB

    Just two questions if you don't mind me asking:

    1. Does REN TV contain any english programming? The web site shows many modern series channels
    2. Assuming I get another LNB/teflon plate, do I need to get a new decoder? Mine only has options for Horizontal and Vertical polarity. Or, does the existing decoder do the job with H and V being equivalent for L and R?
    Last edited by lank22; 7th July 2007 at 02:18.

  6. #6
    Junior Member Teacher
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    415
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Hi lank22,

    You can try to make a plate out of an old choppingboard.
    The white skinny plastic (teflon) ones are ideal for this purpose.
    Another thing you can try is to make a wave guide by using a soda can (or similar) that has the bottom cut out and two sides flattened out (so the tunnel will look more oval than round), Fit this over the front of the LNB.
    Good luck.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Teacher
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    411
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cogil View Post
    for L and H transponders use the teflon plate, fit it in the C band lnb
    then the circular waves can be received as V and H.
    mostly if your dish is not very big, you need the plate.
    i think you meen for L and R transponders use the teflon plate
    ABA

  8. #8
    Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    112
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    H lank22, I'm also from Sri Lanka. I'm receiving Yamal 202 (49 E) wit my 6 feet solid dish. What you have to do to get it is to put the little teflon plate (you get with your C band LNB) inside your LNB. In my LNB it's marked the place where I have to place the teflon plate. After that I get the L & R transponders in my normal STB. (I get all the channels in the Yamal 202 as V pol.

    Only 10 FTA channels available in Yamal 202 including TVLanka 1 & 2.

  9. #9
    FINISHED&GONE WITH SILENT Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,675
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lank22 View Post
    dear friends
    I am able to receive some satellites such as asiasat/panamsat etc OK with my technosat LNB and decoder.

    Looking at the page for Yamal 202
    http://www.lyngsat.com/yamal202.html

    I notice polarity is described as L (instead of the usual V and H)

    My questions:
    1. do I need new LNB to receive this polarity as my LNB can only get V and H polarity?
    2. Do I need new STB also? My stb has only option for Vertical or Horizontal not L, can I use same STB (It is technosat 555)

    dear experts can you please advice me what I should do?
    thank you for your kind help
    plz visit this thread for more help.....

  10. #10
    Moderator Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Africa-Kenya-Nbi
    Posts
    3,108
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lank22 View Post
    Asante Sana, Cogil. Seeing the flag in your sig brings back fond memories.

    Actually, you guys are lucky in africa as you get excellent satellite coverage and access to satellites like Arabsat and Hotbird which are hard/impossible to receive on this side of the world. The one problem you have is paid satellite TV e.g. multivision is hellishly expensive vs over here where you can get all the channels you want for about $10 - $20.

    Re: teflon plate - I don't seem to have one. Is it possible for me to construct something and use? I have a very simple C band LNB from technosat, opening the lids I just saw a cylinder with two spikes inside I think.

    Do you have any suggestions as to how I could construct one - if not possible I guess I will try to buy another LNB

    Just two questions if you don't mind me asking:

    1. Does REN TV contain any english programming? The web site shows many modern series channels
    2. Assuming I get another LNB/teflon plate, do I need to get a new decoder? Mine only has options for Horizontal and Vertical polarity. Or, does the existing decoder do the job with H and V being equivalent for L and R?
    "Asante pia Lank22" and thanks on the fond memories.
    I see your questions have been answered, you dont need another decoder, and anybody on sats will give you his teflon plate free, if not using.
    Plus the eurostar lnbs - cband come with it, alo geomax.
    By the way we dont get Hotbird. Any further querries welcome.

  11. #11
    Moderator Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Africa-Kenya-Nbi
    Posts
    3,108
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ABA View Post
    i think you meen for L and R transponders use the teflon plate
    Thanks ABA you are right i meant L and R

  12. #12
    Moderator Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Africa-Kenya-Nbi
    Posts
    3,108
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default


    you can also go through this old topicL AND R

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top