Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member Master
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Can I use dial-up with Dreambox?

Hi,

My Angelbox broke done on me a couple weeks ago. I would like to purchase a Dreambox, but all the info I've read, says that I need a broadband connection. I currently only have dial-up connection where I live here in Thailand. I have unlimited service, but there are numerous disconnections with this service threw out the day. Will this be a problem? Any comments and info will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Gregg

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by thaigreg View Post
    need a broadband connection
    you said it already you need broadband connection. even if you have unlimited dial-up connection, it will not work coz lan connector for broadband is different from that of dial-up
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

There is a work around to use dialup. Speed is not really a problem, but as said earlier since there is no way to directly connect dailup to dreambox, you will need to connect thru the computer. This means every time you want to use the dreambox for cardsharing you will need to turn on the computer also.

You will need the following to use dialup for dreambox:

1. A LAN port on your PC
    2. A crossover LAN cable to connect the Dreambox to the PC

On the PC you will need to enable Internet Connection Sharing for the dialup connection you use. You can find details on doing this in an ealier post.
    http://www.rdi-board.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=76

Hope this will be of some help.
    Don't Stop......Keep Learning!

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    There is a work around to use dialup. Speed is not really a problem, but as said earlier since there is no way to directly connect dailup to dreambox, you will need to connect thru the computer. This means every time you want to use the dreambox for cardsharing you will need to turn on the computer also.

You will need the following to use dialup for dreambox:

1. A LAN port on your PC
    2. A crossover LAN cable to connect the Dreambox to the PC

On the PC you will need to enable Internet Connection Sharing for the dialup connection you use. You can find details on doing this in an ealier post.
    http://www.rdi-board.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=76

Hope this will be of some help.
    Hi Cruiser,

Thanks for the info.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Thanks u so much bro.Cruiser.that will help to dial up users.

Regards.
    " 李俊明 Born To Help People "

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

You can also use the GPRS handphone with DM500 for connection to the internet.

Download the Gemini with GPRS plugin and get the handphone set to connect to the serial port of your DM500. Just use DM500 and a handphone with sim card. No PC required.

Since you are in Thailand, you can contact LINK Telecom & Solution HatYai, Songkhla H/P 081 0985515 for assistance and technical support.

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by xratedchannel View Post

Download the Gemini with GPRS plugin and get the handphone set to connect to the serial port of your DM500. Just use DM500 and a handphone with sim card. No PC required.

Since you are in Thailand, you can contact LINK Telecom & Solution HatYai, Songkhla H/P 081 0985515 for assistance and technical support.
    thanks for your new great idea,
    should be tried out as an option. great.

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

it is a great idea but for a third world country an option for cellphones such as this can be pretty expensive if utilized and it'll be an expensive cs for dm. i would still prefer cruiser's "work around option dial-up"
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

This plugin will drive an analog modem connected to the serial port of the Dreambox. No PC needed.

After the customization of the configuration file, it will automatically handle the PPP connection and authentication with the Service Provider.

Download
    http://www.meandream.org/eZnet-current.tgz

Info
    http://www.meandream.org/

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

now, this is getting more and more interesting. if you have said it like this it's more clear than before.
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    it is a great idea but for a third world country an option for cellphones such as this can be pretty expensive if utilized and it'll be an expensive cs for dm. i would still prefer cruiser's "work around option dial-up"
    yes in some Contries the cellphones its expensiv but also in many Contries its Mobile phones Cheap so here in Thailand you can get very Cheap Hisspeed Packete for Mobile Phone and also its working with Dreamboxes here the New Gemini 3.60 GPRS Soft
    http://school.obec.go.th/btnk/dl/sat...0_20070608.zip
    Daeng

10FT Dish 169° east-49°east

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

This plugin will drive an analog modem connected to the serial port of the Dreambox. No PC needed.

After the customization of the configuration file, it will automatically handle the PPP connection and authentication with the Service Provider.

Download
    http://www.meandream.org/eZnet-current.tgz

Info
    http://www.meandream.org/
    Great solution xratedchannel. It would become very useful to those without a braodband connection. Just an external modem will do the job.
    Don't Stop......Keep Learning!

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

definitely cruiser. this is good info. just the modem itself. no celfons no pc. really great for ppl w/o broadband connection.
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Really appreciate for us.Thanks alot brother. but Hand Phone is very expensive in my country.lol:

Regards.
    " 李俊明 Born To Help People "

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Alexius

if i were you i would check to see if you have true mobile signal near your dreambox, then i would go and check with true mobile and see if they still have a package that includes unlimited data on the mobile...

they used to and it cost about 600 baht for the voice contract and then 600 baht for unlimited gprs data usage

Thread Information