Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default question about improving reception

The signal level for tcm channel on my humax is showing 40% but signal quality is zero. Does this mean that if I upgrade my lnb, dish and cable I can raise the signal quality to 40%? The experts are requested to give their opinion on this problem and oblige. Thanks

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

depends on where you are and if you have the footprint. then only you can modify your setup as you mentioned.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

thanks boknoy, i am in central pakistan. could you please explain the relationship between signal level and quality?

BANNED MEMBER Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default question bwt improving reception

yes m8 it is also depend in your EIRP strength on the said footprint and wich diameter of anntena will be used.
    LOG ON TO : www.dreamtester.org

IF YOU FIND ANY MISSPELLED OR ANY TYPOGRAPHICAL ERROR IN ANY OF MY POST IT IS BECOZ YOUR LOOKING AT IT....

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

the signal level can always be there so long as the lnb is connected, but quality will tell whether signal is available and set correctly, plus is on that particular beam.
    You could always check the lyngsat charts opn beam coverage before trying with quality.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

as mentioned above, you will always have some sort of signal level strenght displayed, but most of the time the quality is either greyed out or very weak. that means, either you don't have the exact beam towards your location, or your reception is very poor.

have you checked via lyngsat for the footprint and the suggested dish size for your area for that particular bird?
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

signal quality of tcm very poor in day time here in pakistan but in the night it becomes better and better.so its not only ur or ur dish problem.i m also facing this problem from this tp.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thank you all friends. Then we can say that signal level is just a sign that the lnb is intact and working while quality indicator is the real thing

az30094

with 40% signal strength, you should be able to get a stable picture, unless the signal strength meter is not accurate. For a signal strength of 30% and above, you should be able to get 100% quality, unless your antenna is picking up lots of noise. Take some time to check all the connections, and redo them if necessary.

By the way, the channel you are talking about, TCM is on hotbird I think. In that case, you must be in a weak coverage area. The hot weather conditions these days also affect the signal strength.

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by az30094 View Post
    with 40% signal strength, you should be able to get a stable picture, unless the signal strength meter is not accurate. For a signal strength of 30% and above, you should be able to get 100% quality, unless your antenna is picking up lots of noise. Take some time to check all the connections, and redo them if necessary.

By the way, the channel you are talking about, TCM is on hotbird I think. In that case, you must be in a weak coverage area. The hot weather conditions these days also affect the signal strength.
    He must get the Bit Error Rate (BER) so termed quality before getting any pictures.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

I thought I should give some feedback to friends on my experiment with this question of signal level and quality, so here it is. I changed my lnb and cable which resulted in rise of signal level for tcm on hotbird to 67% but the signal quality improved to 12 % only. This only means that the signal quality will rise if I get a better dish (my present 8-**** dish has taken an awful lot of beating lately and therefore must be distorted) and centre the lnb optimally on that new dish. The conclusion is that if the signal level is high, you can get a good reception with a superior set of satellite equipment.

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

i has always been said from time to time that good quality materials does have an effect on signal reception.
    signal boosters or inline signal amplifiers are just "business talks" meaning "avoidable expenditures"
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Thread Information