Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Sony TV will not display PAL in colour !

Have got the Sony Bangkok technicians in a tizzle
    My 29 inch Sony will only show colour (when fed from a Dynasat or Dmbox sat box) if output in NTSC. ...........PAL is shown in black and white !
    The technicians are mystified and just cannot understand the reason as these boxes work well in PAL on Sony tv's of a smaller screen size and indeed with other makes of sat receivers..
    Anyone come across this problem before ?
    Will anyone help Sony out of its misery with an explanation before Tokyo has to be called in to solve the enigma ?

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Your Multi-chip [NTSC, PAL, SECAM] is not switching, or something in your set-up is not correct.
    A black // white picture is what you get with PAL-G setting and a NTSC signal . or is the Sony , [yuck] a NTSC only TV, it sounds as if it might be. In which case go into the menu of the Dream clone and change the setting , to make it output NTSC only..
    regards from OZ bassett

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by bassett View Post
    Your Multi-chip [NTSC, PAL, SECAM] is not switching, or something in your set-up is not correct.
    A black // white picture is what you get with PAL-G setting and a NTSC signal . or is the Sony , [yuck] a NTSC only TV, it sounds as if it might be. In which case go into the menu of the Dream clone and change the setting , to make it output NTSC only..
    Firstly I should say this is Sony's problem now not mine as the set is guaranteed to work correctly
    Yes as you rightly say it works fine in NTSC . Problem is in that mode it cuts the bottom three/four inches off the picture so titles etc dont show.
    Both tv and box switch flawlessly to PAL where a black and white picture is shown even though the system output is PAL !
    NOTE : Problem arises only with certain receivers such as DM box and Dynasat....with others the tv accepts the PAL signal and shows it in colour.
    A true mystery baffling the Sony service engineers who are blaming it on faulty chip in the Dm box and Dyna

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

you didn't mention if you are in A/V or in RF? if RF, some receivers have a settings for a separate PAL/NTSC system. or as basset have said can be switching problem....
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

and also isolate your problem w/another unit, say a vcd/dvd player. coz it is also possible your sony tv is not the problem. perhaps you missed a setting in your rcvrs too...
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    NOTE : Problem arises only with certain receivers such as DM box and Dynasat....with others the tv accepts the PAL signal and shows it in colour.
    A true mystery baffling the Sony service engineers who are blaming it on faulty chip in the Dm box and Dyna
    OK your TV certainly has a problem if it's a multisystem.

However if your botton part of the picture dissapears when you convert from PAL to NTSC then that is your receivers firmware problem.

I have seen that here with receivers that cut off the bottom of the picture when converted PAL to NTSC.

The receivers I use give a complete picture and great picture quality even though converted.

So you said some receivers work fine and others don't as it's a receiver firmware issue.

Silver Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    Firstly I should say this is Sony's problem now not mine as the set is guaranteed to work correctly
    Yes as you rightly say it works fine in NTSC . Problem is in that mode it cuts the bottom three/four inches off the picture so titles etc dont show.
    Both tv and box switch flawlessly to PAL where a black and white picture is shown even though the system output is PAL !
    Is their any option on the DM such as PAL G, PAL I, PAL B etc?

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by lnb15k View Post
    Is their any option on the DM such as PAL G, PAL I, PAL B etc?
    thats a good question although it happens on 2 different sat receivers and that is strange.
    u can also try 2 use another cable.

anyway on ur dm500
    press menu
    goto setup
    goto system settings
    goto a/v settings
    color format rgb
    aspect ratio 4:3 letterbox (16:9 is u have a widescreen)
    tv system multinorm
    save

hope this helps

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Remember this is NOT a dreambox, But a chinese clone, God only knows what the menu's consist of.
    As for the Sony TV,, Sony are well known for bad service, and the time they take to fix there products and the costs involved if the warrenty is over.
    regards from OZ bassett

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    you didn't mention if you are in A/V or in RF? if RF, some receivers have a settings for a separate PAL/NTSC system. or as basset have said can be switching problem....
    AV CONNECTIONS.............PERHAPS WORTH TRYING RF AS A POSSIBLE TEMPORARY SOLUTION

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    and also isolate your problem w/another unit, say a vcd/dvd player. coz it is also possible your sony tv is not the problem. perhaps you missed a setting in your rcvrs too...
    I believe the fault way be deeper as the TV set when switched on tries visibly to add colour...as some streaking shows...but just cant make it.

As a TOTALLY non technical person it's as if .....FICTIONAL NOW for demonstration purposes only......to show colour a certain level of colour signal is required ...lets say level 20 but these two boxes send out level 15.
    A Kaon box on the other hand outputs level 22 so colour comes through ok

OK will try your suggestion ...send via another box but in fact its Sony's job to sort this out as colour outputs fine from the DM box in PAL on 21 inch tv's but not on this 29 incher !.

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Multi-system TV?

Where did you get the TV? Did it work with PAL outputs before?

-Test your decoder on another TV

-Test your TV with a PAL DVD player or VCR

-Try using the RCA composite video out instead of the SCART connecter

-Try using the component connecters if you have them (try them one at a time) Do you see colors?

-The decoder could be another region of PAL that you’re your TV doesn’t recognize try setting it to (PAL I) Sony can normally deal with that system.

-If you know about electronics to the point where you have or know where to get an (O scope) you may try looking for the repair manual for the TV. Sony has straight forward trouble shooting block diagrams. I have always had luck with them. Anyway if it gets to that point you are way better off taking to a repair man that has a Sony Certification.

Alexius

or just get a panasonic tv and avoid the whole issue...

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by DVB-madness View Post
    Where did you get the TV? Did it work with PAL outputs before?

-Test your decoder on another TV

-Test your TV with a PAL DVD player or VCR

-Try using the RCA composite video out instead of the SCART connecter

-Try using the component connecters if you have them (try them one at a time) Do you see colors?

-The decoder could be another region of PAL that you’re your TV doesn’t recognize try setting it to (PAL I) Sony can normally deal with that system.

-If you know about electronics to the point where you have or know where to get an (O scope) you may try looking for the repair manual for the TV. Sony has straight forward trouble shooting block diagrams. I have always had luck with them. Anyway if it gets to that point you are way better off taking to a repair man that has a Sony Certification.
    Bought in a dealar's shop two years ago. Never been able to receive colour using the DYNASAT unless switched to NTSC. Yes the box works in colour PAL with other Sony 21 inch tv's bought the same year. Tried various connectors .
    IMPORTANT NOTE : This tv visibly TRIES to get a colour signal in PAL and somtimes shows PAL for a millisecond if tv turned off and on again and also shows colour streaking at times. It just cannot make it !
    I think RocK Spider is spot on....its either a fault in the tv or in the model design...the threshold of the signal sent out by these two boxes is not high enough to trigger PAL in this tv set ....but is high enough to trigger PAL in the smaller 21 inch Sony tvs which demand a lower threshold.
    Make sense anyone ?

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Factory tech manual

Make sure that the guy you have working on the TV has the factory tech manual for that model. The manuals can be quite expensive. It the tech doesn’t have toe correct manual he will be clueless. You maybe able to order the manual form Sony. They can cost upwards of 100.00 USD.

Thread Information