Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default SS2 DVB choppy video and audio

Dear Sirs,

My problem is my new [email protected] SS2. I've used Dream DVB, Alt-DVB and ProgDVB - all with the same result: which is - after a while (around 5 to 10 seconds) after tuning into a channel (FTA, i haven't tried PayTV yet), the audio becomes choppy for a few seconds, then totally no audio. after around 15 to 20 seconds - the same thing will happen to the video.

i have single dish with two LNBs (hotb!rd & n[email protected]) connected to a Starsat SR-X 2100CU connected thru its LOOP-THROUGH output into my SS2 (PCI). I have a motherboard with built-in sound and a GeForce 7600GS. is it my "not" having a dedicated PCI soundcard? games and videos are working great though. i am wondering if i need a dedicated sound card for my DVB Players to work.

FYI: i have tried to connect the SS2 directly (not through my STBs LOOP-THROUGH) with the same result. And another thing, the Signal level that i'm getting on my STB is not the same one that i'm getting on my SS2. My STB reads 45 to 65%, while i get 15 to 30% on my SS2 - even with direct connection.

please help me please, please, please... Timeshifting and watching TPS are the only reasons i got myself a new computer - got tired of my shitty 2100CU...
    What better place than HERE,
    What better time than NOW!

Member Mentor
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by bushfirewalker View Post
    Dear Sirs,

My problem is my new [email protected] SS2. I've used Dream DVB, Alt-DVB and ProgDVB - all with the same result: which is - after a while (around 5 to 10 seconds) after tuning into a channel (FTA, i haven't tried PayTV yet), the audio becomes choppy for a few seconds, then totally no audio. after around 15 to 20 seconds - the same thing will happen to the video.

i have single dish with two LNBs (hotb!rd & [email protected]) connected to a Starsat SR-X 2100CU connected thru its LOOP-THROUGH output into my SS2 (PCI). I have a motherboard with built-in sound and a GeForce 7600GS. is it my "not" having a dedicated PCI soundcard? games and videos are working great though. i am wondering if i need a dedicated sound card for my DVB Players to work.

FYI: i have tried to connect the SS2 directly (not through my STBs LOOP-THROUGH) with the same result. And another thing, the Signal level that i'm getting on my STB is not the same one that i'm getting on my SS2. My STB reads 45 to 65%, while i get 15 to 30% on my SS2 - even with direct connection.

please help me please, please, please... Timeshifting and watching TPS are the only reasons i got myself a new computer - got tired of my shitty 2100CU...
    i think this is the problem of your signals quality.one more thing is this problem with both birds or only in hotbird?

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

My STB reads 45 to 65%, while i get 15 to 30% on my SS2 - even with direct connection.
    your problem is with your dish itself.

try to adjust your dish focus to get better signal quality. 45% even 65% signal strenght on your STB is still not stable enough thats the reason Y you have choppy Aud. and Vid.

i tried looping my SS2 on my STB's 98% signal strenght, i got 100% signal quality on Alt-DVB / 70% on ProgDVB / 80% on DVB Dream.
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

@ Dodi - thats what i reckon, i tried not to fool around with the STB (just by simply letting it be, i mean no channel surfing) last night, and i get my ProgDVB to work. mr boknoy was nice enough to point that out. friggin disecq switches! haahahhah. i'll try to install a dedicated dish for HB - i haven't tried it on nileshit err, i mean nilesat yet.

@ Zoren - yeah you're spot on mate, a dedicated dish for each bird is what i'm considering. i hope i can do that before the Spanish GP and French Open starts. hey, i really like DreamDVB and Alt-DVB compared to ProgDVB (sadly, progdvb is the only player thats working) if i can only get them - Dream and Alt - to work. got some pointers? i can't get the WinLIRC to work either... help please!

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    try to adjust your dish focus to get better signal quality. 45% even 65% signal strenght on your STB is still not stable enough thats the reason Y you have choppy Aud. and Vid.

I am able to view channels with signal quality 30% and up perfectly without any choppieness on ss2 & progdvb. I have a single LNB on a motorized dish, my sound card is built into the motherboard. Hope that info was of help.

Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by yuriythebest View Post
    I am able to view channels with signal quality 30% and up perfectly without any choppieness on ss2 & progdvb. I have a single LNB on a motorized dish, my sound card is built into the motherboard. Hope that info was of help.
    sir yuri,

i can watch some channels just fine (as of last night) - but i can't get some channels (that i can watch with no problems on my STB) on my SS2/ProgDVB. even if i did a number of manual scans, i just can't seem to get the elusive TP$ signals.

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by yuriythebest View Post
    well, it depends also on each individual STB's tuners sensitivity too and dish sizes...
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

sir yuri,
    i can watch some channels just fine (as of last night) - but i can't get some channels (that i can watch with no problems on my STB) on my SS2/ProgDVB. even if i did a number of manual scans, i just can't seem to get the elusive TP$ signals.
    1. get rid of the loopthrough setup
    2. get a bigger dish and fine tune your signals
    3. get twin out lnbs and make separate disecqs and lines to your stb and ss2
    4. get quality coax like TFC cables.
    5. ensure your wires are not shorted
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Thread Information