Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Master
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Talking mesh or solid dish

hi friends i have a old 8 **** mesh dish its depth is about 14 inches 4 piece.its mesh is missing from many places but its shape is like new one. but it gives good result on c band but nill on ku band .. can i remove the mesh and replace it metal will i be able to get ku band satellites and c band satellites .. plz tell me which metal is good or how thick metal i use .

i am wating for reply

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

use same metal as used in solid dishes,
    or tough aluminium, so long as you can get the curves
    correct for depth as before.
    your ku should work ok
    Dstv HD PVR

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

satlover01

for my openion and nolege, it will be cheaper in buying a new dish insted of install a new metal on it,

wich satellites u intresting in ku band to recive? may be a normal offset dish will give the selotion

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by aikki View Post
    satlover01

for my openion and nolege, it will be cheaper in buying a new dish insted of install a new metal on it,

wich satellites u intresting in ku band to recive? may be a normal offset dish will give the selotion
    true, the best is always a new dish, but its also good to go through the patch experience.
    that one time you can even make self dish in extreme cases.
    like ku band dishes are not that expensive, but still he should know why he cannot get ku on the present torn dish.
    Dstv HD PVR

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by aikki View Post
    satlover01

I would advise the same, unless you are a very good craftsman who could do a perfectly smooth curvature for the metal panels. This is because the wavelength of Ku band frequency is very small and so any irregularrities in the metal surface comparable to the wavelength will have a significant impact on the received signal. Mesh dishes with larger holes will not work well with Ku for the same reason. This is why a dish that works perfectly for C-band may not show anything at all on Ku band somtimes.
    Don't Stop......Keep Learning!

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

the total cost in changing the mesh to solid dish with labour work by expert in making dishes is about 1300 Rs Pakistani and the prise of new 8 **** solid dish is 4500 Rs.

i am interested in satellites
    asia sat 3s 105.5 ku and c band
    asia set 2 100.5 c and ku
    nss6 95 ku
    insta 3a 93.5 c band
    yamal 102 c and ku
    st1 88 c and ku
    instal 2e/3b 83 c and ku
    express am 80 c and ku
    thaicom 2/5 78.5 c and ku
    intelsat 68.5 c and ku

only

i there any special kind of c and ku band feed horn to get these hybird (c/ku) satellites at the same time.... on revolving stand

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

It seems cheaper to let the expert do it, cause after that he'll confirm it working both in ku and c band.
    but still a new dish looks good despite the costs, only we can not beat the experts to their job
    Dstv HD PVR

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by satlover01 View Post
    i there any special kind of c and ku band feed horn to get these hybird (c/ku) satellites at the same time.... on revolving stand
    C/Ku LNB's are:

http://www.cyberestore.com/bsc6212-c....html?cPath=23

http://www.satcrazy.com/shop/item-details.php?adno=44
    Kaefi

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

hi friends i have a old 8 **** mesh dish its depth is about 14 inches 4 piece.its mesh is missing from many places but its shape is like new one. but it gives good result on c band but nill on ku band .. can i remove the mesh and replace it metal will i be able to get ku band satellites and c band satellites .. plz tell me which metal is good or how thick metal i use .

i am wating for reply
    your wait is over "possum"
    There are others that have tried this with mixed success, the problem is, covering a dish with metal sheets will not give the same performance as a pressed // stamped solid dish, the profiles are impossable to replecate. In fact one of the contributers on here did the same thing with a 5 meter dish, and while it did work on Ku, the performance was far below the standard for the size of the dish, It was as it would be if he had retained the mesh, while some signal was lost, there was enough to produce a watchable signal.
    Have you considered using small mesh, It does not have to be high priced dish mesh, small // fine wired metal fly wire, will do the job, but don't be like someone I know and try it with fibre glass mesh, cos it was cheaper. ?
    Getting back to substituting mesh for metal. there is a thread in the dish section, on here complete with pictures and the results of what you are trying to do. http://www.vetrun.com
    regards from OZ bassett

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

so what u think should i buy a new solid dish for c and ku band satellites ha

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

from mal all the satellite that you name able to get fro 6ft solid dish..

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

so what u think should i buy a new solid dish for c and ku band satellites ha
    new dish is always better,
    then use the old for your experiments,
    knowledge gained on faults cannot be lost
    Dstv HD PVR

Thread Information