Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Thread: DSL Line

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default DSL Line

CAn anyone give username and password for any DSL network in Saudi Arabia.
    Thanks

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

My friend u need a DSL Modem and a Phone line if u want 2 use internet. U cannot use any1 else's username or password. U have 2 subscribe to use it.

Regards
    satpal

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

maybe he was telling about dial up connection = user name and password

when DSL was first introduced, it also has a user name and password.

but now it doesnt bcoz of DHCP "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol" (purpose is to enable individual computers on an IP network to extract their configurations from a server (the 'DHCP server') or servers, in particular, servers that have no exact information about the individual computers until they request the information. The overall purpose of this is to reduce the work necessary to administer a large IP network. The most significant piece of information distributed in this manner is the IP address.) the modem itself has the ip address not the computer.

but like you said, he has to subscribe his DSL w/ SaudiTel
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

There are two common devices that customers use to get DSL. The most common is a DSL router which is connected to the PC by a LAN interface. The other is a DSL modem that connects via USB. The USB modem connects to the ISP thru a VPN connection and this works like a dialup connection where you have to type in user name and password. And every time you start your PC you will have to dial the connection.

Even in the router, a user name and password are programmed but thats a once off thing and you dont see it afterwords.

Like it has been pointed out before, you will need a DSL enabled line in order to get DSL, otherwise it will not work even if you have user account.
    Don't Stop......Keep Learning!

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    The most common is a DSL router which is connected to the PC by a LAN interface. The other is a DSL modem that connects via USB. The USB modem connects to the ISP thru a VPN connection and this works like a dialup connection where you have to type in user name and password. And every time you start your PC you will have to dial the connection.
    friend you're telling an eon old DSL. i can tell you my dsl is DHCP assigned. i dont need to typed in user name and password just to connect to the internet. my modem has an ip address assigned and the modem itself can acquire this ip address automatic everytime i turned on my computer
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

I was only telling about different ways of connecting, USB modem, LAN modem, router etc. DHCP or static IP is a different matter. And yes you are right, these days most ISPs make it very easy for users.
    Don't Stop......Keep Learning!

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    friend you're telling an eon old DSL. i can tell you my dsl is DHCP assigned. i dont need to typed in user name and password just to connect to the internet. my modem has an ip address assigned and the modem itself can acquire this ip address automatic everytime i turned on my computer
    it depends on the provider actually. some will require passwords, others will even assign you a static IP. so it's all the same.

but the poster wants a dsl password and username. now, some providers do provide password and usernames JUST IN CASE the dsl line goes down, they have a backup dial-up servers wherein users can temporarily logon and surf the net while having the dsl line fixed, or if you want to use another line (maybe you went out of your home and is using a friend's line) then the dial-up backup can be used. but you cannot logon to both the dsl line and the dial-up servers, either one will be disconnected. maybe that's why he asked for such a question.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Cool

i have a DSL, it is configured with a username and password via modem
    however when i turn my pc on or access the net from my laptop (via my wireless router), im not asked to enter the username and password coz thats how my modem is configured.

if i remove password from the modem, DSL wont work.

if i take the same modem to another location or telephone line(on which DSL has been activated by telephone company) i can use the same modem to access DSL in KSA.

thats what the poster asked i guess, he wants someone from Saudi to share his DSL username and password with him. NOT ME FOR SURE ....
    STB info:
    Humax5400 with ****** FREECAM 2-019, Coship, Manhattan Plaza ST550 PVR with 80GB Maxtor Quickview HDD.
    Dish Info:
    HotBird,NileSat;ArabSat;Panamsat-10,AsiaSat3s
    Subscriptions:
    Showtime,Pehla

Thread Information