Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Doha, QATAR Anyone out there ?

Please can you inform us : A few years ago I read that Doha was fully cabled and satellite dishes and equipment banned there .
    Is this still true ? I ave avoided Qatar Airways also because I believed this to be true and that there were no sat shops there ,prefering Dubai instead.
    Thanks

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Red face Satellite dish and receiver alalowed

A couple of years back when dish antenna and receivers were in their infancy, the rich and powerful used to have those monster antenna erected in their lawn.

When the phenomenon started to spread among the middle class the government enacted a law banning the use of dish. At the same time Qtel, the telecom monopoly (50-50 Govt. and public) introduced cable system offering selected news and entertainment channels. They also outsourced the installations of small specifically built antenna and receivers to eight local companies in the field of electronics. (Actually it is not a cable system per say. A combination of satellite receiving earth stations in remote areas and relaying it to Qtel facility in the town and then sending out the signals to subscribers, who can receive it through specially designed small antenna with a tiny LNB. All decorders can be controlled by Qtel from their offices. For example someone wants to add a sports channel what s/he should do is to telphone Qtel and ask to add the channel. In no time the channel will be added to that perticular decorder. I do not know the name the technical world to describe the whole thing.)

The technology that Qtel used that they have a 1 minute time delay in receiving and transmitting signals, giving Qtel amble time to censor vulgarity.

Since then they have modified Qtel "decoder" to include many more channels as packages to suit western, asian and sports enthusiasts. It is still working. The new offer Qtel made last year is a combination of cable, dish, internet, telephone connection all in one.

After the ban on dish the mighty and powerful did not bother to remove thier antenna and some others follow suit. Realizing that the govt. cannot control the phenomenon as the neighbouring Gulf countries were allowed the use of satellite dish and receivers, the Govt. backtracked and started to allow disk and receivers as part of the right of the populace to free and fair information.

Still in force is the law regulating the size of dish people can use. 180" dish is legally not allowed but widely used, especially by Asian expatriates because they need a larger dish to receive their favourite home-made channels.

Finally, Sir, dish and receivers are very popular and easily available. All the latest versions of receivers are in the market. There are couple of shops selling all accessories related to satellite dish and receivers.

Comparing with other Gulf countries, the prices of these equip are bit higher. It is party the creation of shops owners.

I earnestly hope the info given above is satisfactory

Thanks and regards

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Excellent reply. Excellent English,* may I just clarify two points please
    1. You refer to 180 inch dishes . That's 15 ****..a true monster . Did you not mean a 1.80Meter dish ? If really 15 **** is this a solid or a mesh dish and what would this cost ? Can it pick up Astra from Europe ?
    Secondly the sat shops in Doha.
    Are they easy to find ? Are they in the centre of town and most importantly for others posting here, are they confiscating the Indian Dish receivers at the Qatar airport as they are at Dubai airport ? Many thanks
    ps * "per se" not "per say " ! its Latin !

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Dish and Antennae in Qatar

Dear C-Band,

Your were right. I admit that there was a mistake in the measurement I have given to the size of the dish. What I meant was 180 cms. It is a solid dish.

I cannot comment on receiving Astra, since I am not an expert in this field. I really don't have any idea.

There are plenty of sat shops in Doha, the capital city of the State of Qatar. Some of them are professionals and dealers of branded receivers. Some bringing low-priced receivers from Dubai, United Arab Emirates or from Saudi Arabia. Therefore they costs more.

The shops are mainly in two commercial districts of Doha, namely "Arab Bank Roundabout" and "Fariq Al-Nasser".

Apart from the professional technicians, there are plenty of expatriate handymen doing the installation and fine tuning or upgrading softwares of the recivers and thereby making some extra money during their spare time.

As you are an expert in the field of receivers, may I ask you something related to receiver.

I could not find Echo Link EL700 FTA in Qatar although it is believed to be made in the UAE.

My second opetion was Star Sat SX-R 4200 D, unfortunately, this model is out of stock. Shops offer a newer version of Star Sat, which is 1300 Super.

My question is which one is better, 4200 D or 1300 Super. Does 1300 Super has all the functions and upgrade facilities as 4200 D. I was told that 4200 D can autoupgrade keys through hotbird. I am not sure.

Your comment and recommendation in this respect would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Jadooghar

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thank You For The Info.

You May Not Have Noticed But We Here Are In Thailand.

We Cannot Receive Hotbird Or Any European Satellites.

Therefore We Have Different Receivers And Most Of Ours Come Directly From China So The Make Starsat Which I've Seen All Over Dubai Is Not Sold Here And Never Seen It In Thailand

Most People Here On This Forum Seem To Be Interested In The Dream Bouquet As Its The Only Hackable Bouquet In Se Asia....or In The Dreambox For Card Sharing.

One Dealer Sells The Very Cheap Indian Dish 100 Channel Bouquet Using A 2.4 Meter Dish . Postings Above Say At The Dubai Airport These Dish Receivers Are Being Confiscated.
    Please Tell Us : Are They Available In Qatar And Are They Confiscated At The Airport In Qatar ?
    Thank You

Thread Information