Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Member Mentor
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Manhattan Plaza ST 550

I am getting a Manhattan Plaza ST 550 CI P PVR with embedded ****** cam, Positioner and 200 GB Hard drive with two cam slots. My only worry is there is no USB connection to connect it to the computer where I can burn a DVD. The connection given is RS232 and I am not sure whether this or the USB connection is better when accessing receiver's hard drive. Any one has an idea?
    Thanks in advance.
    Felicianf

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by felicianf View Post
    I am getting a Manhattan Plaza ST 550 CI P PVR with embedded ****** cam, Positioner and 200 GB Hard drive with two cam slots. My only worry is there is no USB connection to connect it to the computer where I can burn a DVD. The connection given is RS232 and I am not sure whether this or the USB connection is better when accessing receiver's hard drive. Any one has an idea?
    Thanks in advance.
    Felicianf
    Dear, as per my research ur going in the right way... plz go ahead of the beautiful piece of h/w ur going to own. and request you to provide the feedback after few days of use. I ve not seen or used the Manhattan Plaza, but seen reviews and features which are unique in its category.
    BTW, from where you it ? and wt is the cost of the box ? And Plaza 550 is the ultimate model, but I think it does not come with HDD for PVR. You ve to add it separately. Wt you say ?
    Technology Makes You Live

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

i bought the plaza ST550 without HDD last year, but later bought a maxtor Quickview HDD and installed it myself.

no doubt the receiver is good, PVR function and recording is also good, but there is a drawback, whatever the capacity of your HDD, if you recorded 99 clips or chapters and even you still have hard disk space the PVR will give you a message "hard disk is full". you would have to delete some programs.

you cannot connect the RS232 cable to you PC to download recorded content, i even tried another way by removing the HDD from ST550 and installed it in my desktop, the PC couldnt read the recorded content, Manhattan has copyright protected the recorded content, so dont buy if you intend to burn DVDs.

technical support by Manhattan is the worst, i had alot of arguments with them coz they shipped me from UK a defective ST550, there was an error message sometimes on boot. usually happens if you have hard disk.

anyways good receiver if you by good luck get a non defective receiver, poor over all support from Manhattan.
    STB info:
    Humax5400 with ****** FREECAM 2-019, Coship, Manhattan Plaza ST550 PVR with 80GB Maxtor Quickview HDD.
    Dish Info:
    HotBird,NileSat;ArabSat;Panamsat-10,AsiaSat3s
    Subscriptions:
    Showtime,Pehla

Member Mentor

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thanks Guy- for your valuable comment. I have not found a similar comment anywhere.
    With Best Regards
    Felician
    DM 600+80GB DM 7020+160GB+ LED 55"

Member Mentor

Posts Thanks / Likes

I have got the following replies;
    Hi

the problem is as follows

The 200Gb drive probably gives you 100 approx. hours of satellite TV programs
    that is what it is designed to do

100 hours of programs might be about 100 programs and that is indeed the max.

But some people tried to use it for music tracks etc. that are short and since 100 programs is the max it is not ideal for that.

Out of 1000s sold I can only think on 1 maybe 2 problems of that type.

It is not the way most people use it.

2. Hi

the output of the Manhattan is either scart or S VHS just like any satellite receiver

So if you are using a stand alone DVD player you can scart them and make a DVD when you play back the hard drive

If there are AV inputs on a computer you can do the same

no different to any PVR

There is no digital connection - the 232 if for upgrading the software.

The best quality recording would be through an S lead

This message on the message board is misleading - some receivers may have a digital USB connection but even then I can't think of an example of when that has a recording function (mainly for faster software upgrades) although some may do this.

I have NEVER seen any receiver in the world use the 232 for recording - only software transfers.

Technical support comes first from your dealer and we give good support to all of our customers. We have an excellent relationship with the manufacturer Manhattan and they give us excellent support. For the customer to go direct to the manufacturer is not a good idea. That is not the way things are meant to be done.

You may like to update the message board?
    DM 600+80GB DM 7020+160GB+ LED 55"

Thread Information