Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Question Difference between: Signal Quality Vs Level ?

Friends

What is the terms Signal Level and Signal Quality defines properly ?

I'm using 3 different DVB-S applications.

1. progDVB (82,82)
    2. MyTheater (78,87)
    3. DVB Dream (83,100)

Both the signal level and quality (for same channel) are different with the above 3 different applications respectively (see the figures against the apps)

Can anybody plz explain what are the terms exactly and why they are different with different apps ?
    Technology Makes You Live

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

the levels are subject to the particular receiver tuner gain capability, receivers with high gain tuners have higher quality and signal levels on same subject or channel, because of the tuner and video amp circuitry. this varies from designer and components used.
    just like sony tuners and video amps have the best world picture analysis and have set a very high standard, so does the eurostar tuners compared to many receivers - my opinion
    signal level is just that, while quality refers to the video(picture) clarity.
    Dstv HD PVR

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cogil View Post
    the levels are subject to the particular receiver tuner gain capability, receivers with high gain tuners have higher quality and signal levels on same subject or channel, because of the tuner and video amp circuitry. this varies from designer and components used.
    just like sony tuners and video amps have the best world picture analysis and have set a very high standard, so does the eurostar tuners compared to many receivers - my opinion
    signal level is just that, while quality refers to the video(picture) clarity.
    ... then how we can able to know exactly the actual signal level and quality ?
    can I trust to SetUpPC the original s/w of Skystar2) ? because I'm using SS2 not any STB receiver.

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

even the ss2 depends on the brand like technosat etc, the levels on different brands will differ slightly.
    but for exact levels you can use a proffesional level meter, like those used for proffesional dish set up will always be same and exact.
    Dstv HD PVR

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cogil View Post
    even the ss2 depends on the brand like technosat etc, the levels on different brands will differ slightly.
    but for exact levels you can use a proffesional level meter, like those used for proffesional dish set up will always be same and exact.
    Ok..I may be wrong, but dear as I know SS2 (Skystar2) is ONLY brand from Technisat, no others can have that brand.

Anyway got the ans to my query.
    Thank you

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

you are very correct mr upradhan, its me trying to widen the scope, that just like your software gives different levels, also different tuners will give different levels, that if exact measurements are required then we have to use an international calibrated tool. but for the viewer this are normally just guides and have to vary, for your ss2 in another brand of comp might also give a different reading on same software - that applies to user levels.
    there is also ss2 - satstar2 which is same as ss2 - skystar2 though on different softwares and manufacturers.
    the way the world runs you will find ss2 manufactured in 3 different countries, have different levels in quality
    Dstv HD PVR

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Actually I think the two parameters that the tuner hardware sends to upper layers (driver, application) are: signal power in reception (dB) which is "Level" and errors in the stream (BER - Bit Error Rate) which is "Quality". These can be interpreted by different apps.
    Almost all the software shows these as percent, so you don't know what is the benchmark for 100%. This benchmark can be different on different software versions/manufacturers, so that is why you get different values.

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

for better and accurate signal level reading, use a spectrum analyser. some stb differ with signal quality coz they are not same sensitivity. also, if the cable is long while the other is short or even connected on loop through. but since we are just receiving and your antenna and polariser is set correctly, no matter what the signal quality is as long as we get a good picture quality.

Thread Information