Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default EU law on hacking /card sharing

I wish to make a correction and offer an apology to RDI readers.
    Hacking and cardsharing is not illegal in the EU where for private use and non commercial purposes as I wote BUT where I was wrong was I should have ADDED where the bouquet concerned was not available by subscription .

In the UK for example its illegal to hack/cardshare Sky Digital as the person could /should have paid for a subscription. If however a UK resident hacks/cardshares TPI the French bouquet then it is not a crime as, for copyright reasons, TPI cannot/will not sell a subscription to a UK resident.
    This legal principle applies throughout the 27 EU countries.
    Again my apologies if I misled anyone.

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND View Post
    I wish to make a correction and offer an apology to RDI readers.
    Hacking and cardsharing is not illegal in the EU where for private use and non commercial purposes as I wote BUT where I was wrong was I should have ADDED where the bouquet concerned was not available by subscription .

In the UK for example its illegal to hack/cardshare Sky Digital as the person could /should have paid for a subscription. If however a UK resident hacks/cardshares TPI the French bouquet then it is not a crime as, for copyright reasons, TPI cannot/will not sell a subscription to a UK resident.
    This legal principle applies throughout the 27 EU countries.
    Again my apologies if I misled anyone.
    No problems. Any links to the laws though? Would be appreciated
    If Evolution works, why so many idiots?

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

No problem brother C-Band.U r the man who only tells this knowledge to RDI's students like me and members.

Regards.
    " 李俊明 Born To Help People "

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Yes, Its Logical Isn't It. You Cannot 'steal' Something Which Isn't Available For Sale And Cannot Be Sold !

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Yes, Its Logical Isn't It. You Cannot 'steal' Something Which Isn't Available For Sale And Cannot Be Sold !
    with that I have to argue- so you are saying if, say, you see an artifact in,say, someones home that is not for sale then it's ok for you to steal it? On the other hand I like sat.piracy

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

i think thats a good aspect of the law C BAND, if there is nobody to pay then you can get your own means of watching - fare if you are able

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

My take on this is that EU law (and law in the individual jurisdictions such as the UK) is actually quite complex, so that this issue isn't yet settled. There have been a number of interesting cases in the UK involving publicans, who have used either pirate cards or official cards from outside the UK to screen live football (I accept that football does raise another set of issues about copyright). In the past judgments about the legality of such cards have gone both ways. There are some interesting old threads on this topic in the forum on the following site, if they can still be accessed:

http://liveonsat.com/

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

I.m sorry, but I think your argument is on very thin Ice. what your saying is if the service is not available by subscription, then it's OK to steal it.
    I think I would hate to test your retric and reasoning in a court of law.
    regards from OZ bassett

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

i beg to differ
    you carnt bye the crown jewels they are not for sale
    but if you steel them or try to they will throw you in the bloody tower
    ABA

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ABA View Post
    i beg to differ
    you carnt bye the crown jewels they are not for sale
    but if you steel them or try to they will throw you in the bloody tower
    The Kohinoor diamond The Brits stole em & it does not belong to them. He..he,,

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dom06 View Post
    The Kohinoor diamond The Brits stole em & it does not belong to them. He..he,,
    yes but they own the bloody tower
    ABA

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ABA View Post
    yes but they own the bloody tower

Accepted fact that they stole!

Byte Stalker Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

it's far different in U.S. lobbied by some civil rights movement- since those TV satellites provider have not ask any permission to beam their transmission to your premise one has all the right to do whatever he/she wanted to do on it! that's quite fair i think!
    The more we learn things the more we hunger for more! That's human nature I guess!

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Well citizen 33...am very impressed with your knowledge and am pretty sure you are a lawyer. The copyright case as you say involved publicans ! My postings were all concerns with private home use !

Also there is this to bear in mind. The signals are in the air in countries thousands of miles away...how can the owners claim the signals belongs to them to the extent they cannot be viewed by the householder ?.

An analogy was raised in Australia concerning defunct abandoned Sky dishes. Sky claims the dishes belong to them...its in the contract. OK one cannot argue with that but the householder can claim rental/storage charges on each dish left behind and abandoned and these charges can exceed the value of the dish. In theory therefore the house owner can charge the Co whose signal enters his home without permission a wayleave fee . Indeed the satellite co is tresspassing on the property of the property owner if no permission was sought!

Byte Stalker Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

right on the head of the nail m8
    The more we learn things the more we hunger for more! That's human nature I guess!

Thread Information