Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Master
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Question PC-DVB device with WIFI ?

Is there any PC-DVB device available that support wifi communication with PC?

Or can I use PC-DVB Usb conjunction with any device (Usb-Wifi etc.) which allows me to do so?

Experts, kindly reply.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

none so far. the only wireless option i know would be the diablo wireless, which is for normal STB and not for pc.

what are you trying to achieve anyway?
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Wifi

Presently I am using PC-DVB PCI card on my pc and from there I transmit MPEG stream using MyTheatre+AVbroadcaster. I watch TV on my laptop (any where at my home) using wifi.

But for this setup, I have to dedicate my PC to just to retramsmit the MPEG Stream. If any how I get a PC-DVB wifi device, which get connected to LNB and transmit TS and allow communiction through wifi, then I won't require my PC for that.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cmehta View Post
    But for this setup, I have to dedicate my PC to just to retransmit the MPEG Stream. If any how I get a PC-DVB wifi device, which get connected to LNB and transmit TS and allow communiction through wifi, then I won't require my PC for that.
    what you want is not physically feasible (at least for now), since according to my limited understanding you want a pc dvb-s device that will communicate via wifi to the lnb. then the answer to your question is, NO.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Write in more details Mr. Cmehta
    Last edited by alone3805; 11th February 2007 at 18:19.

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thanks boknoy_ph,

I don't want a device that will communicate with LNB through Wifi. But a device that will be directly connected to LNB and will communicate with PC through Wifi.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

well, there is no such device as of now. afaik, there's no stb out there that will stream via wifi too, except of course if you install some wireless video sender.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Byte Stalker Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

what ur looking for is an intelligent STB that has a fully capable processor & an operating system just like a PC. Even Cisco networking pheriperals has only simple Os for IpTV!
    The more we learn things the more we hunger for more! That's human nature I guess!

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

we can always add that to our wishlist, can't we? hehehe
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Smile

Thanks boknoy_ph,

I don't want a device that will communicate with LNB through Wifi. But a device that will be directly connected to LNB and will communicate with PC through Wifi.
    In my own experience i'm enjoying that process for several months but not with pc dvb-s device but with my Dreambox DM500-s connected to Ruckus MF2900 Multimedia wifi access point. I can control my stb and watch tv programs thru my laptop connected to wifi via Dreamview.
    Unfortunately it works good only with Ruckus but when i tried it to linksys the video output smear and pixilate but i never tried in other brand of wifi exept these two..

Byte Stalker Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Wink

well, that's our hobby, if there's no such devices we improvised what's available.... then we got satisfaction! even in labs they do trial & error before it goes to the drawing board!

to the more extreme, you could see TV( for sports addict) that anywhere in your country, with dedicated PC(dsl connected) & a cellphone wifi & 3g capable! if there's a will there's a way!
    The more we learn things the more we hunger for more! That's human nature I guess!

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Presently I am using PC-DVB PCI card on my pc and from there I transmit MPEG stream using MyTheatre+AVbroadcaster. I watch TV on my laptop (any where at my home) using wifi.

But for this setup, I have to dedicate my PC to just to retramsmit the MPEG Stream. If any how I get a PC-DVB wifi device, which get connected to LNB and transmit TS and allow communiction through wifi, then I won't require my PC for that.
    Yaar, you are saying you want a PC-DVB wifi device.
    What does that mean without a PC (as you do not need a PC) ?
    Where the av data will be decoded/decrypted without a PC ?

But for requirement I'll suggest you to go for a Topfield STB with wifi which will receive the LNB input and will give your TV the av data and also will broadcast the same through its wifi ....
    http://www.i-topfield.com/product_e/...pn=TF6000PVR#p

Here STB will replace ur PC and I'll say a STB is also a small computer.
    Technology Makes You Live

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Talking Dream device

Thanks urpradhan,

I agree, a PC will encode MPEG stream (Rather a process1ing power, whether embeded or PC).

The output of a typical PC-DVB device is TS (Transport stream), that is handled by DVB app (To view channels, sat internet, bla bla bla)

Now what I want is to get the TS from PC-DVB Wifi Device through wifi. My laptop will get this and a PC-DVB app process it (As it process TS from Twinhan or Skystar cards).

The STB you refered is equvalent to a dedicating PC for me. As I need raw TS at my Laptop through wifi (It will also allow DVB apps to all bla bla bla).

So my dream device have a wireless communication between PC-DVB device and PC (Presently Skystar2 USB is using a wire to communication with PC). I am damn sure it will available in near future. (See WUSB h**p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_USB). I can name that device as PC-DVB wifi (if that device will use Wifi) or PC-DVB Wirless USb (if WUSB).

I hope every who understand this, need this device.

Thanks.

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

SkyStar USB + Wirless USB HUB will resolve my problem. Buy very costly setup right now. (100$ + 200$)

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/12...lkin/index.php

Thread Information