Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.


Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Senior Member Expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South India
    Posts
    1,090
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default How to Remove Bad Sectors from HDD


    Dear Friends. I need to remove Bad Sectors from HDD. Does anyone have which software is good. Please PM me if u can';t post it directly here.

    Also is Disk Manager software useful. I want to download the new version of it. Anyone has DM 9 version. please let me know.

    thanks.
    You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.

  2. #2
    Junior Member Teacher
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    472
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default Bad Sectors

    The minute your computer's hard disk starts to act flaky, make sure you have an up-to-date backup. Then you can do some simple diagnostics and repairs. Both Windows and Mac OS come with built-in hard-disk utility software that scans your hard disk for errors and attempts to fix them.

    For Windows

    Instructions

    STEP 1: Double-click on My Computer to open the My Computer window.

    STEP 2: Select the disk that you want to diagnose and repair.

    STEP 3: Choose Properties from the File menu. You should see the Properties window for the drive that you selected.

    STEP 4: Choose the Tools tab.

    STEP 5: Click the Check Now button under Error Checking Status.

    STEP 6: Depending on your version of Windows, choose either "Thorough" or "Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors."

    STEP 7: Click on Start.


    For Mac OS

    Instructions

    STEP 1: If you're running Mac OS 9.2 or an earlier version, search your hard drive for a file called Disk First Aid. You can use this Apple-supplied utility to verify and repair disk errors.

    STEP 2: If Disk First Aid says it can verify but not repair your disk because it's the startup disk, you should restart your Mac from the System CD-ROM disc that came with your computer. Hold down the C key during startup to force the Mac to start from the CD-ROM. Older Macs, pre-G3, need to press the Command- Opt-Shift-Delete combination.

    STEP 3: If Disk First Aid fails to fix all the problems it detected the first time you run it, try running it a few more times

    STEP 4: If you're running Mac OS X, you'll find that Disk First Aid has been made part of the Disk Utility program, which you'll find in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. Click on the First Aid tab after launching Disk Utility.

  3. #3
    Banned Member Expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Coast of Ionian Sea
    Posts
    1,040
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mj786 View Post
    Dear Friends. I need to remove Bad Sectors from HDD. Does anyone have which software is good. Please PM me if u can';t post it directly here.

    Also is Disk Manager software useful. I want to download the new version of it. Anyone has DM 9 version. please let me know.

    thanks.
    there is no way to remove a bad sector on your hdd. the reason it is called a bad sector means during a thorough scandisk it detects that there is a small part on the hdd w/c is defective. during the process of scandisk it marks that small part on your hdd as a "bad sector". the data on the bad sector is then moved to another sector on the hdd. it doesnt do any better w/c program or software you used, even entirely reformatting your hdd the bad sector will always be there. the more bad sectors your hdd have, the more it slows down your hdd's reliability. therefore slowing down the performance of the computer itself. solution is new hdd.
    No GUTS!No GLORY!
    .

  4. #4
    Banned Member Expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Coast of Ionian Sea
    Posts
    1,040
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    yes, you can do diagnostics as mentioned. try several times to do diagnostics maybe it can repair or it wont repair at all. but once a bad sector is detected your hdd is becoming unreliable specially if it is too old. it maybe too little too late for your important data if you havent back it up. replacing your hdd is a better option in the end.
    No GUTS!No GLORY!
    .

  5. #5
    Senior Member Expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South India
    Posts
    1,090
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    yes, you can do diagnostics as mentioned. try several times to do diagnostics maybe it can repair or it wont repair at all. but once a bad sector is detected your hdd is becoming unreliable specially if it is too old. it maybe too little too late for your important data if you havent back it up. replacing your hdd is a better option in the end.

    The problem with the HDD now is that when ever i turn the system ON it shows the Bad sectors by scandisk... then when it come to load windows it gives some error and hangs.

    I think the main file of windows is corrupted. Anyhow thanks for ur posts..
    I am not worried about loosing any data from it.. I just want it to run again.

    hope to find more good replies.
    You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.

  6. #6
    Silver Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    2,090
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    MJ why not use a booting floppy or in dos mode run the scandisk and fix the errors? Reload the windows if it fails to load.

  7. #7
    Platinum member Expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29°20'N 47°59'E
    Posts
    5,711
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    can't pass this up.

    bad sectors are PHYSICAL DAMAGES on your hdd. there is nothing you can do about that except to have them marked up as bad sectors so that data will not be written on it. try to run scandisk as suggested so that you may be able to salvage your data, if ever. after that, backup and run your hdd's formatting tool to thoroughly map out the bad sectors. if you have more than 20% bad sectors, consider buying a new disk.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

  8. #8
    Junior Member Master
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    86
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Smile

    hi..
    there are two kind of bad sectors....
    one is permanent, these are the one that can not be removed they are caused by some damaged done to the disks inside the hard drive, due to shock while it was running or something like that... u can still remove that in a way that u can make a partition of the damaged area and hide it u can use the remaining space as u like it as the damaged area would never be accessed after u hide this partition this damage will not be harmfull anymore as it wont spread over the disk....
    now the second one is when u dont have actually a damaged disk on your hard drive but some viruses or some programs or due to anyother reason the data on the disk is currupted as such that the heads on the disk is unable to read this data or read it in a form where ur file system can not recognise it..... so it mark it as bad.
    now i quoted a solution to the first problem for the second one u can initialize the hard disk and u will then ur hdd will be as good as new..
    by initializing i mean to say you have to low level format the hdd.
    low level format means that u actually write tracks sectors and cluster from the start on the disk which would in turn distroy all the data from the disk and as ur disk will be in a consistant state it would be then ok for u to use.
    but there is a risk some hdd's does not support low level format for the second time as for the first time it is already done as part of the manufaturing process.
    .....
    now if u r using DM v 9 u can achieve ur goal by going in to maintenance and the utilites and then either low level format or zero fil....
    but this will distory all the data on ur disk....

    for partitioning u can us partition magic for dos or windows....
    but if u want ur data to be save then u can for for a software called ...
    Hdd regenerator.... u can download a cracked version if u cant find it let me know i will send it to u....
    if u want to low level format ur disk then use a utility by Maxtor corporation...
    MAXLLF. u can search yahoo for "lformat" to find Maxllf.
    but there is a problem...
    if ur Master boot record has a problem like this...
    coz the MBR is present on Track zero... and if u have a prblem at Track zero... the ur disk is useless......

    have a nice time fixing ur drive....

  9. #9
    Member Mentor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    677
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    [quote=boknoy_ph;289719]can't pass this up.


    Thanks boknoy_ph,
    Will periodic disk fragmentation & scan disk help in avoiding such problems as bad sectors?
    Kindly advice

  10. #10
    Platinum member Expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29°20'N 47°59'E
    Posts
    5,711
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    now this is a point of contention, lol.

    as has been stated above, there are two kinds of bad sectors. but mostly they are caused physically on the disks, and not by some viruses and malwares. true, while some malwares may cause your disk to not access specific partitions or parts of a file on your disk, this is not the real definition of a bad sector. these kind of bad sectors can be "repaired" as has been outlined above using different kind of softwares available for download on the internet. this kind of "soft" badsectors can happen if the power loss or whatever interrupts a write operation, wherein the sector data is (partially) written but checksums (ECC data) are not written yet. This sector will be considered bad by hard disk firmware. Manufacturers tools (and some third party are also available) may get rid of those, via LLF (which entails full erasure of your data) and may result in either of these:

    1. If ECC checksums are missing, they will be restored, returning the sector in service.
    2. If the sector is physically damaged, it will be marked bad and replaced by the spare (if there are any spares), at the on-disk controller level, without OS intervention. If there are no spares left the sector will remain bad.

    modern drives are manufactured with errors on them already. these errors are written on P-list (manufacturer error log) and the g-list which is maintained mostly by the SMART controller on the hdds. now, what the manufacturer llf and diagnostic tools will try to do is to add these badsector list to the p-list (this explains why you don't have the full capacity on a brand new hdd, lol).

    hence, no software of any sort can truly low-level format today's modern drives. The ability to low-level format hard drives was lost back in the early 1990's when disc surfaces began incorporating factory written "embedded servo data". If you have a very old drive that can truly be low-level reformatted.

    besides, there is no true LLF utility out there nowadays, mostly they are "zero-fill" utilities. don't confuse a true LLF to a zero fill.

    @dom06,

    no, it won't help you to prevent it from happening. the best thing you can do is to have your installers always handy and backup your personal data (that's what i do). but at least with scandisk, you will be forewarned of an impending disk error, and might be able to save some valuable data by moving the data from the errant sector to the backup sector which may be read by your OS.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

  11. #11
    Member Mentor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    677
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Thank you Mr Boknoy_ph

  12. #12
    Banned Member Expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Coast of Ionian Sea
    Posts
    1,040
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    way to go B_ph just cant let us down easily like that

    @mj786
    there you have it b_ph just said it. "bad sector" is usually irreversible once it is phisically detected. the way you mentioned your hdd's problem [quote=The problem with the HDD now is that when ever i turn the system ON it shows the Bad sectors by scandisk... then when it come to load windows it gives some error and hangs.[quote=
    the way i see it you have only one option but to buy new hdd.
    anyways, hdd isnt that expensive anymore (like samsung made orig'ly by korea while seagate is made in china) its your choice, mine is just an opinion.
    No GUTS!No GLORY!
    .

  13. #13
    Moderator Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Africa-Kenya-Nbi
    Posts
    3,108
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph View Post
    can't pass this up.

    bad sectors are PHYSICAL DAMAGES on your hdd.
    thanks sir boknoy,
    i thought you cannot leave us to sink on quicksand if you were to passby, and we just feel questions like above need your answers and thats what we are used to

  14. #14
    Senior Member Expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South India
    Posts
    1,090
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razakhan View Post
    hi..
    there are two kind of bad sectors....
    one is permanent, these are the one that can not be removed they are caused by some damaged done to the disks inside the hard drive, due to shock while it was running or something like that... u can still remove that in a way that u can make a partition of the damaged area and hide it u can use the remaining space as u like it as the damaged area would never be accessed after u hide this partition this damage will not be harmfull anymore as it wont spread over the disk....
    now the second one is when u dont have actually a damaged disk on your hard drive but some viruses or some programs or due to anyother reason the data on the disk is currupted as such that the heads on the disk is unable to read this data or read it in a form where ur file system can not recognise it..... so it mark it as bad.
    now i quoted a solution to the first problem for the second one u can initialize the hard disk and u will then ur hdd will be as good as new..
    by initializing i mean to say you have to low level format the hdd.
    low level format means that u actually write tracks sectors and cluster from the start on the disk which would in turn distroy all the data from the disk and as ur disk will be in a consistant state it would be then ok for u to use.
    but there is a risk some hdd's does not support low level format for the second time as for the first time it is already done as part of the manufaturing process.
    .....
    now if u r using DM v 9 u can achieve ur goal by going in to maintenance and the utilites and then either low level format or zero fil....
    but this will distory all the data on ur disk....

    for partitioning u can us partition magic for dos or windows....
    but if u want ur data to be save then u can for for a software called ...
    Hdd regenerator.... u can download a cracked version if u cant find it let me know i will send it to u....
    if u want to low level format ur disk then use a utility by Maxtor corporation...
    MAXLLF. u can search yahoo for "lformat" to find Maxllf.
    but there is a problem...
    if ur Master boot record has a problem like this...
    coz the MBR is present on Track zero... and if u have a prblem at Track zero... the ur disk is useless......

    have a nice time fixing ur drive....

    Thanks for the post.. I was hoping for such replies.. Please send me the file. I am sending u email id to ur PM box.. ok check it..
    You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South India
    Posts
    1,090
    Posts Thanks / Likes

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph View Post
    can't pass this up.

    bad sectors are PHYSICAL DAMAGES on your hdd. there is nothing you can do about that except to have them marked up as bad sectors so that data will not be written on it. try to run scandisk as suggested so that you may be able to salvage your data, if ever. after that, backup and run your hdd's formatting tool to thoroughly map out the bad sectors. if you have more than 20% bad sectors, consider buying a new disk.

    As told before. I am not worried about loosing any data from that disk.

    Its not a matter of purchasing new hdd.. which I already had purchased. I just want this 40gb hdd to run atleast with 20gb space ..
    You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top