Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SkyStar 2 USB

Junior Member Master
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default SkyStar 2 USB

Brothers i want to know whether SS2 USB is as good as SS2 PCI?.

I am looking for options to watch Sat tv on my laptop. Any other recommendations are also welcome.

I am from Lahore, Pakistan and if any one can tell what is its price and from where can i get it from my city?. THANKS.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

they are just the same, only difference is the interface, the other is USB the other is PCI. and the price of course, USB costs a bit more than PCI. (almost double).
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

When I looked into a USB version, I was told that the downside would be that it was hungrier than the PCI card in terms of processor usage. You also need to make sure that your laptop or PC has USB2, as the low speed of USB1 may be marginal for some things. I was quite attracted by the Twinhan Starbox, which seemed to me more attractive than the SS1. However, I only have an SS2 and don't have first hand experience of either of these USB boxes.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

i have had my hands on twinhans, ss2 pci and ss2 usb. i did not notice that much difference in cpu usage, all are approximately the same, depends on which dvb software and codecs you are using. i can run ss2 usb on my laptop at 13% cpu usage, maximum spike will be at around 20% only.

as for starbox usb, look around for compatible softwares first as i have not tried it firsthand, thus cannot rate as to compatibility issues with dvb softwares out there.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Boknoy, What about USB version having BDA drivers and not WDM?. I've heard BDA drivers have less compatibility as against WDM drivers. Please verify. THANKS ALL.

"sir boknoy" would be better- senior -mod

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

i have had to use BDA drivers for my ss2 on alt-dvb or else i won't be getting any channels when scanning. WDM drivers are of course more recommended for a stable performance. look at the definitions below to judge for yourself why WDM will be a better alternative for you. consider BDA as the generic unstable patches, usually done on devices that does not have that much public support. BDA drivers will work, but WDM drivers should work better.

BDA (Broadcast Driver Architecture)—A Microsoft Windows technology that enables tuner drivers for digital reception from many sources, including audio/video, television, and IP streams.

Windows Driver Model, a driver technology developed by Microsoft to create drivers that are source-code compatible for Windows 98, 2000, Me and XP.

WDM works by channeling some of the work of the device driver into portions of the code that are integrated into the operating system. These portions of code handle all of the low-level buffer management, including DMA and Plug and Play device enumeration. The WDM device driver becomes more streamlined with less code and works at greater efficiency.

All versions of Microsoft Windows after Windows 95 have implemented WDM. Kernel-mode drivers that follow WDM rules are called WDM drivers.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Sir Boknoy, any knowledge about BT878 chip, I saw a visionplus Sat DVB card with this chip. I thought only TV tuner cards have this chip and use their drivers.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Dear Sir Boknoy, I want to buy a new computer for my project and one of the dealer told me the highest one in their shop.And Plz. tell me this is good enough or not.Which is the highest CPU speed?

CPU : Athlon AMD Pros 4200
    M/B : MSI K9M
    Mem : 1 GB
    HDD : 250 GB
    G/C : MSI 256 NH 7200
    " 李俊明 Born To Help People "

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

good enough for what? depends on which software and programs you intend it to use. if you only want to play solitaire on it, then that would be an overkill. gaming and multimedia production is another story though. amd 5800+ is available in the market if you can get it. with that specs you mentioned, it is quite ok, i think considering that it should be able to churn out most of the tasks you throw at it, video encoding/processing included, lol. just buy some quality memory like corsair if you can afford it. msi k9m is ok for motherboard.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Banned Member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph View Post
    good enough for what? depends on which software and programs you intend it to use. if you only want to play solitaire on it, then that would be an overkill.
    486 is even better w/solitaire i would also recommend an Intel based Processor (top-of-the-line) if Yan would like to use it in everything he needs for a computer. wanna know more abt computers?! goto kimkomando.com their topics are all computers.
    No GUTS!No GLORY!

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph View Post
    good enough for what? depends on which software and programs you intend it to use. if you only want to play solitaire on it, then that would be an overkill. gaming and multimedia production is another story though. amd 5800+ is available in the market if you can get it. with that specs you mentioned, it is quite ok, i think considering that it should be able to churn out most of the tasks you throw at it, video encoding/processing included, lol. just buy some quality memory like corsair if you can afford it. msi k9m is ok for motherboard.

Thanks Sir boknoy for ur appreciate teach.I wanna run 40 CW finder in sametime.Nothing else to do with this computer and just now both of my computer can run 20 CW programs max in sametime.Sir Boknoy, Plz. suggest to me which kind of computer can do as I mention task?I don't know too much about computer section.

PS: this is the latest one in our country.very poor..

Regards.

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    486 is even better w/solitaire i would also recommend an Intel based Processor (top-of-the-line) if Yan would like to use it in everything he needs for a computer. wanna know more abt computers?! goto kimkomando.com their topics are all computers.

Dear Zoren, thanks for that extremely help & link.I like intel processor and both of my computers r intel.But really don't know which product may be the best to use of my necessary.

Best Regards.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

as of now, intel has beaten amd on all aspects. maybe amd will stage a comeback. your intentions are indeed nobole, but running 40 processes of cw crack on pure brute strength out of a pc is tough job, i think. i hope you have some base/dictionary list to help your cw cracking effort.

other than shifting to intel multi-cores and getting yourself a motherboard that can run multiple cpus (usually used for servers), i wont suggest anything to you as it will bleed your pocket out of money.

one thought does come to mind.... ask around if you can lease some cpu time from a Cray, heheheh.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

So that I should use intel instead of amd processoor.But I'll run the cws on three computers with max. 20 process and so that I can get 60 cws in sametime.
    I can afford some bleeding from my pocket bcoz. I can borrow some monkey from Sir Boknoy.lol:And also for lease some PCs.Can u contract with me(u'll never get it back)? (joke)

Anyhow thanks for ur help sir boknoy.And I request to u to give me some suggestion what kind of CPU I should use in my project , Intel or AMD?

God Bless You.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

go with AMD. price is a bit less for a small percentage in performance difference. take note though that your processor is only as good as the system you build it on. try to have a look at www.motherboards.org to see which one suits your taste, then open your pocket.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Thread Information