Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Angry Dish Setup guide without any commercial tool

Dear Friends

if you can share your experience to setup the dish without any commercial tool/satellite equipment, it will be great help people for me to setup/install the system.

For the last few days I had tried to point Eurobird2 ( @ 25.5/25.8/26 E : Confused which one), but could not able to track it

I was taking reference from www.satlex.de and google earth to know the Az/El and direction from my building respectively and was using FastSatFinder But all are vain. Tooooo frustrated job ....

Any help ?
    Technology Makes You Live

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

where exactly are you located? latitude and longitude.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

your best bet is to log your tv and receiver up the roof and forget about that fastsatfinder. ANY software based tuning software for dvb-s cards are a waste of my time.

that's just my opinion, based on experience.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph View Post
    your best bet is to log your tv and receiver up the roof and forget about that fastsatfinder. ANY software based tuning software for dvb-s cards are a waste of my time.
    that's just my opinion, based on experience.
    But dear I was able to get NSS6 with that FastSatFinder only, th worked perfectly to locate NSS6 at my place. But some how I'm missing Eurobird2

Member Mentor
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by urpradhan View Post
    Dear Friends

if you can share your experience to setup the dish without any commercial tool/satellite equipment, it will be great help people for me to setup/install the system.

For the last few days I had tried to point Eurobird2 ( @ 25.5/25.8/26 E : Confused which one), but could not able to track it

I was taking reference from www.satlex.de and google earth to know the Az/El and direction from my building respectively and was using FastSatFinder But all are vain. Tooooo frustrated job ....

Any help ?
    is the signals are receiveable in your area?i mean footprint

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

this is typical for the 6ft dish.
    get the sat you know say pas 7 = 68 degress
    after that on every 1 degree move 1cm on the adjustment rod and shaft where you have the locknut.
    say if i was looking for intelsat 902, 62deg i would move the shaft in by 6cm then start trying for the sat. this is totally without, but you've got at least one sat you are sure of and know whether you are going minus or plus in degrees.
    with lots of experience it works just fine since you already know the transponder and sat post in degress - then subtraction and ruler.
    try it maybe you can improve my knowledge on that.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

For me in my country there is no sat finder and can't buy in whole country.
    I tune 169 °E to 49°E with my 6 inches tv and my satellite receiver on the toproof.I spend over 3,4 hours in my debut days in year 2K to tune these satellites.Very difficult task....
    But nowadays I can tune these satellite with 8 feet mesh dish/6 feet dish in 15 minutes.Just only experiment is need.Other countries service men will laugh at my words bcoz. I think they have all facility to search a satellite like satfinder,meter,etc.... lol:
    We have no accessories like them but we can do as our own method.As well most of my country's service men can do.
    Experiences make u perfect without any additional help.

(sorry it if not hlep the author that's my point of view)
    " 李俊明 Born To Help People "

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by yan naing View Post
    I tune 169 °E to 49°E with my 6 inches tv and my satellite receiver on the toproof.I spend over 3,4 hours in my debut days in year 2K to tune these satellites.Very difficult task....
    But nowadays I can tune these satellite with 8 feet mesh dish/6 feet dish in 15 minutes.Just only experiment is need.Other countries service men will laugh at my words bcoz. I think they have all facility to search a satellite like satfinder,meter,etc.... lol:
    We have no accessories like them but we can do as our own method.As well most of my country's service men can do.

thats correct yan,
    with los of experience the tools come in only for perfection,
    like in my country people set up multichoice dishes with no instruments at all, when i started i took about 4 hours everyday after work with the equipment for about a month or more, but now i dont require some of the equipment.
    experience is the key.
    with no experience you'll have the equipment but get nothing
    Dstv HD PVR

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by urpradhan View Post
    Dear Friends

Any help ?
    just reading your post again your satellites are within 1 degree difference.
    if you have gotten any of the transponders, then you dont have to move the dish again cause they have same transmision point and only transponders differ.
    this could be termed 1 satellite in different parts.
    if you cant get some freqs, possible no beam to your area.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Definitely right as u said Sir Cogil."old is gold like u"

Regards.

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

I spend over 3,4 hours in my debut days in year 2K to tune these satellites.Very difficult task....
    ahhhhh....... makes me think of the countless nights i spent on the rooftop trying to aim for AB3 on a 60cm dish, lol. i can do the same right now, but just in a matter of minutes too.

anyway, the original poster's location is Hindustan, so the signal reception is really suspect if he can even get them that far?
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Ah..U did it too Sir boknoy!I think the most important to tune a bird, firstly need to check the footprint and try in outside (not mean to lying in footprint,sometimes it's different in outside).When tunning a sat , receiver's signal strength is very important , it's increase when nearly the sat.That's why we don't need any satfinder.lol:

Byte Stalker Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

for nubie you better practice first with a satellites that you knew has a very strong signal! put in your receiver the pertinent data e.g. freg, sr & fec,knowing already the vertical position loosen the lateral screws of your disk & move it very slowly until you get a signal. (used a TV & sat receiver only)

once you get the hang of it, you can search for the satellites that you want. our m8s are right its really very hard the first time. i'm fortunate to have a rooftops w/ lots of occupants having their disk installed by techs, & i watch how the do it! so i told myself it they can why can i! but really very exhausting the first time!

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Dear Friends

Thank you all for your valuable inputs and exp.

BTW, I'm sure the satellite signal (Eurobird 2) falls in my country/town.
    To locate a satellite I use the following method.

1. First confirm the footprint of the bird
    2. calculate the Az/El
    3. Judge the true north angle at my location with help from google earth
    4. Starts FastSatFinder (with a transponder) with full sound mode so that the voice can be heard at my terrace
    5. Moves the dish
    6. Sets the elevation with guess

Buy I did not found Eurobird 2. I'll ask any expert here @ my place to help me out.

The footprint of Eurobird 2 is @ : http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/eb2.html

DISH CITY Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Hi yan,
    Still i am searching satellite in manual way as you mentioned but little bit different. I started searching satellites from 1998, in that time only analog channels are beamed (every body knows this). So i easily traced the some satellite in digital receiver.For new satellites i take my help from my parents; They shouts the signal level from the tv room and i tracking the satellite (they get bored and went off after some times ha ha ha). The main thing is patience.Tracking with manual method gives lots of idea.
    ALL THE BEST
    Megahertzpark

Thread Information