Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default DSL router problem

Hi All,

Can anyone give me some advice or help.
    This is not directly related to Sat, but it causes me a problem while browsing the net, and while on RDI site.

Regularly while on the net or RDI page, I get an error that the page is not available.
    I have to go into my router settings, select ADSL and click restart.
    The very annoying thing is I always get a message like
    "Elaspsed Time: 8 days 7 hours 26 minutes 14 seconds "
    BUT THIS IS BULL, as I regulary reset up to three times a day, and at least once a day, the message is NEVER less than one day!

Please all you boffins out there HELP.

Thanks and regards,
    DM500S, FortecStar Alpha, Lifetime Ultra, Lifetime Classic:
    Intelsat 7/10, TelStar 12 and NSS 7

Time spent on Reconnaissance is seldom wasted.

Educator Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

u sad router not modem so the problem could be ur conection, ex: ur dynamic IP is the case...?
    Knowledge is power

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by xNowell View Post
    u sad router not modem so the problem could be ur conection, ex: ur dynamic IP is the case...?
    Hi,
    This thingy is called a Mecer 4 port ADSL router, I access it by going to 10.0.0.2 with IE, have to enter user name: admin and password to get to the setting: Restart ADSL After I click restart ADSL all is ok.
    Does this mean the problem is with the DSL line, ie the Telecom provider ?

Regards,

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

it's your mecer giving you the problem, not the telco or your line. are you running p2p applications in the background coz most p2p applications will flood the router with connection attempts, and thus hang up the router giving you a no route to host or no internet connection at all. and the remedy for that is a hard boot on the router or soft reboot via IE interface.

also, there are some routers having difficulty maintaining connections when encryption is being used. but this is more of a drivers issue on the wireless (if you are not using wireless, then this is not for you), all you have to do is update the drivers as needed for your hardware.

and lastly, try to see your vci and vpi encapsulation values to see if they look like this: VPI=8 and VCI=35 since by default these are not the values. but confirm with your ISP if you have to change to this or not, ok?

if you can get a firmware update for your hardware, so much the better. if not and it is giving you too much of a headache, replace it for something like 3com or linksys.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph View Post
    it's your mecer giving you the problem, not the telco or your line. are you running p2p applications in the background coz most p2p applications will flood the router with connection attempts, and thus hang up the router giving you a no route to host or no internet connection at all. and the remedy for that is a hard boot on the router or soft reboot via IE interface.

if you can get a firmware update for your hardware, so much the better. if not and it is giving you too much of a headache, replace it for something like 3com or linksys.
    Thank you very much for the info and explanation,
    It's good to know the problem is not with Telco, trying to solve that could be a nightmare, I can find no reference to VPI or VCI in the config setup, but there is an option of Local Code Image Update, I will try this and also look for a firmware update, if this is different.
    You are correct, either a hard boot or restart from IE always solves the problem.
    The router "about 5 months old" was very well priced, in fact about more than half the price of a competitor, so if I have to I will replace it.

Thanks again,

Byte Stalker Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

you are experiencing compatiblity issues, try to contact your isp and asked what router they recommend! sometimes the bandwidth is much lower than what you pay for if there is compatiblity issue also!
    The more we learn things the more we hunger for more! That's human nature I guess!

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by khan2ton View Post
    you are experiencing compatiblity issues, try to contact your isp and asked what router they recommend! sometimes the bandwidth is much lower than what you pay for if there is compatiblity issue also!

Thanks for the reply, I will check it out,

Regards,

Thread Information