Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Friend
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Is Personal Dishes Illegal in UK

I am new in UK. I want to Install my own dish towards Hotbird, Pas 7/10 for Pakistani & European Chennals. Please Guide me it is not Illegal to install private dish as there is DTH system working in UK. Some of my friends told me it is Illegal to install a Dish for viewing FTA channels.

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by nauman1 View Post
    I am new in UK. I want to Install my own dish towards Hotbird, Pas 7/10 for Pakistani & European Chennals. Please Guide me it is not Illegal to install private dish as there is DTH system working in UK. Some of my friends told me it is Illegal to install a Dish for viewing FTA channels.
    get more details about cbands post:

www.rdi-board.com/showthread.php?t=41343
    Dstv HD PVR

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Uk Dish installation

dear friend,

Yes its illegal to install private dish in Uk unless you apply for a permit from the Information and brocasting agency.

Regards
    Morgan Gregory

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

It is NOT illegal
    Despite what some town councils (& Sky UK) would like you to beleive.
    Size matters though ! (90CM is the legal limit i beleive)
    Most satellites (ku) viewable here can be seen with an 80cm so there shouldn't be a problem.
    So long as the dish is near 1 metre you should not have any problems.
    I use a 1metre (offset) and a 1.25metre (prime focus) both in the back garden, never had any complaints.

Your local Town council might interfere if a neighbour complains so just be a bit thoughtful before you proceed with a big dish. OR if you live in a "conservation area" ... you might be surprised at some places that fall into this trap, so basically, if you can see dishes elsewhere in your area then it must be ok anyway. Just go ahead. But, consider the neighbours ! (they'll have to live with it to)...bear in mind an "offset" dish on a house wall can look very scruffy ! ... especially if it's turned towards the lower Sats in the sky as they look like they are falling off the wall and are bound to cause concerns and complaints, (even i wince when i see this) but if u stick it on a pole or ground stand tidyly near the fence or back wall in the back garden most people here accept them.

HOWEVER, the 1.8m etc C-Band dishes (hardly worth it here anyway) require you to seek proper "Planning Permission" from your local Town Council BEFORE you proceed.

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

sorry but you are all wrong
    the legal limit now is a 1 m dish and a sky mini dish with out permition
    you only need planing permition if its a listed building or any part of the dish sticks up highter than the apex of the roof
    ABA

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ABA View Post
    sorry but you are all wrong
    the legal limit now is a 1 m dish and a sky mini dish with out permition
    you only need planing permition if its a listed building or any part of the dish sticks up highter than the apex of the roof
    @aba, how many have u put up :
    thank you for the clarification,

nauman1 - there you go, boost your roof

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

that's why people use the pulsat2000 sometimes or hide their dishes behind fiberglass roofings, just to conceal their dish.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

There Is Also The Right Of Communication In The Eu Convention On Human Rights. This Law Stands Above The Local Law.
    So If You Have A Larger Than 1 Meter Dish Which You Require To Access Your Home Country's Tv Ie Nile Sat 1.5 Meter Dish To Access Egypt You Have A Basic Right To Instal That Dish.
    This Human Rights Law Is Already Being Used Regularly In Germany Where The Turkish Have Larger Dishes Than The 1 Meter The Locals Are Allowed And Also In France.
    No Reason Not To Invoke This Right In The Uk. Only For Historic And Cultural Reasons Would Your Right Be Overuled Ie A Visible Dish On A Listed Building Of Historic Interest

Thread Information