Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default License to Own a TV

hmmmm... just read about this, that you have to have a license to own a tv in UK or somewhere else? that's a bit of scary, lol.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index.jsp
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

In Romania we have to pay a monthly tax for the public television and radio. The bill is included in the electricity bill, so you can not avoid it.
    Theoretical you have to declare how many tv's and radios you have, in practice everybody declares one.
    Althou, the tax is not expansive, I would say it's negligible.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

and do they have these white roaming vans detecting if you are watching tv or not and checking against their master list if you have a license or not?
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph
    and do they have these white roaming vans detecting if you are watching tv or not and checking against their master list if you have a license or not?
    no vans. But if they see you didn't declare anything, they may pay you a visit.

Stupid is what happens to companies: no matter of thier size, 1 or 10000 employees, the tax is the same, and is mandatory to pay it, even if there is no tv. They should afford one ...

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

we had the same but it was abolished a few years ago, at times it has meaning when you can get all channels transmited free, now its open to competition, the best broadcaster wins mostly on news coverage within the country.
    Dstv HD PVR

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: License to Own a TV

hmmmm... just read about this, that you have to have a license to own a tv in UK or somewhere else? that's a bit of scary, lol.

yes boknoy
    in the uk you must have a tv licence if you want to watch tv.
    every house pays about 140 pound a year to fund the bbc.
    the bbc dont have advertisements so its supported by the uk goverment ,you can go to prison if you dont pay.
    i think the bbc is just a sham, a job for the boys at the expence of the ordinary people in the uk who must pay even if you dont watch the bbc
    JOE SOAP

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.

A colour TV Licence costs Ł131.50 and a black and white licence costs Ł44.00.

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Well, if you are curious (I was ), here we have to pay monthly 0.86 $ / family for radio and 1.40 $ for TV.
    It's negligible, but in 12 moths I trow away 27$. Bastrads.
    The fees for companies are 12 times more

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Yes they do have the roaming vans in the UK to detect your TV, and then check against their list of license holders.
    You very rarely see one, more of a deterrant I think.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by JOESOAP

yes boknoy
    the bbc dont have advertisements so its supported by the uk goverment ,you can go to prison if you dont pay.
    i think the bbc is just a sham, a job for the boys at the expence of the ordinary people in the uk who must pay even if you dont watch the bbc
    hey man don't insult the bbc here in ukraine it's one of the few sources of quality content I can get. 140 pound for some brit. to pay is a small price so I can watch bbc.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

[

yes boknoy
    i think the bbc is just a sham, a job for the boys at the expence of the ordinary people in the uk who must pay even if you dont watch the bbc[/quote]

hey man don't insult the bbc here in ukraine it's one of the few sources of quality content I can get. 140 pound for some brit. to pay is a small price so I can watch bbc.[/quote]

no mate
    its 140 pound for some old age pensioner who like many other people in the uk are living on the povery line,yes on the poverty line believe it or not.
    if you take a vote in the uk of what people want ie networks paid for from advertisements, or a tv license fee that means you must pay even if you only want to watch the other networks there would be no contest in favour of advertisements .
    the bbc is a dinosaur of years gone by, every time i put the bbc world service on,all i get is doom doom and more gloom
    JOE SOAP

att1302

In Greece we pay a tax to support public television. But to call this a "license" to view TV, that is a very different story!

att1302

In Greece we pay a tax to support public television. But to call this a "license" to view TV, that is a very different story!

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by JOESOAP
    no mate
    its 140 pound for some old age pensioner who like many other people in the uk are living on the povery line,yes on the poverty line believe it or not.
    if you take a vote in the uk of what people want ie networks paid for from advertisements, or a tv license fee that means you must pay even if you only want to watch the other networks there would be no contest in favour of advertisements .
    the bbc is a dinosaur of years gone by, every time i put the bbc world service on,all i get is doom doom and more gloom
    That's not how I view it. In the uk the so-called povertly line is way higher then in many places around the world, with all the social benefits and public wellfare- way better then darfur. Who am I, some ukrainian kid, to critisize the governmantal policies of one of the most influencial countries in the world?

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

This is how it is done in Malta:
    TV licence LM 15 (about 24 sterling) for 1st colour TV receiver. 2nd and
    above LM 24 (about 38 sterling).
    B/W TV, VCR, radio, Sat. receiver, DVD recorder, free.

First of all most never declare more than 1 tv if the dealer will not register
    the sale. Second, if you have an RGB monitor you can get away wihout
    licence. RGB monitor + VCR or Sat. receiver or DVD recorder = licence
    free TV.

Thread Information