Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default risks of card sharing

Never seen this discussed before anywhere, so thought I'd start. Are the risks of card sharing higher than simply using a softcam? Also, any way for the satellite provider to find out who is sharing their card?

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: risks of card sharing

No i don't believe the provider can find out except if you post to a forum saying you are sharing your card, but then again they don't know what card to block, so all they can do is look up the IP address of your sharing box and ask your ISP to identify you and then mount a legal challenge in the courts against you for sharing your card. However in several countries the satellite provider may have no juristiction to prosecute you so can in theory get away with it.

The best way of card sharing is for the softcam designers to make decentralised p2p versions so there is no *one* person sharing, but a community of socially responsible persons sharing. cardspiders are one such method, but needs more wider adoption.

Like i mentioned in another forum, satellite providers should use this technology better instead of wasting billions on sending non-biodegradable plastic to every subscriber and giving them a whole load of channels in a boquet they don't want to watch. I'd rather pay my provider on a per use basis than get a load of channels i don't really care about. It's the same way in the olden days when you'd buy a CD for 2 songs and pay the price for 10 other garbage tracks which the used to fill the CD to make it look like you were getting value for money.

Look at apple, they took this very idea and are selling songs for 99c and makng millions and you only buy the song you want.

Satellite providers, wake up, or you'll be left behind. !

Quote Originally Posted by yuriythebest
    Never seen this discussed before anywhere, so thought I'd start. Are the risks of card sharing higher than simply using a softcam? Also, any way for the satellite provider to find out who is sharing their card?

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

thanks for the info

Thread Information