Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Friend
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default How to tune/setup a Digital Satellite Receiver

Massod i had posted this in the general section...Maybe i shud have put it here..Any input will be highly appreciated
    ==============================================
    Hi guys,

I am currently in Sharjah, UAE.

I have installed 2 dishes and receive Hotbird and NSS6.
    Due to certain voltage fluctations the memoy on my receiver keeps getting wiped out. I thus have to approach the local dish operators who charge me a hefty fee just for a 10-15 minute job of tuning it. Sometimes they intentionally dont tune some channles thereby starting the viscious cycle of me having to call them again n pay them. I am now totally fed up of this.

Even though the voltage fluctuation problem has been fixed, i don want to eb at the mercy of these operators. Could any of u guys point me to some web site or give me some links where i cna elarn the basics of tuning the reciver, learning how to add/delete/modify a channel/satellite, learn abt transponders and which satellites i can receive in Sharjah etc.

I have a simple receviev and can currently view ESPN Intl, Spice,etc. earlier i cud watch BBC Prime but not anymore..

Any help would be highly appreciated

Cheers

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

after receiver is set up for you, record all the settings in a book, when it doesnt show, check what has changed and correct it. where you fail ask them to come again, till you will know your receiver settings. plus what is the instruction book for?
    for someone to read and do it for u , he/she has to be paid.
    do it slowly but learn your receiver, dont just watch programmes.
    Dstv HD PVR

Member Mentor

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: How to tune/setup a Digital Satellite Receiver

Quote Originally Posted by tango
    Massod i had posted this in the general section...Maybe i shud have put it here..Any input will be highly appreciated
    ==============================================
    Hi guys,

I am currently in Sharjah, UAE.

I have installed 2 dishes and receive Hotbird and NSS6.
    Due to certain voltage fluctations the memoy on my receiver keeps getting wiped out. I thus have to approach the local dish operators who charge me a hefty fee just for a 10-15 minute job of tuning it. Sometimes they intentionally dont tune some channles thereby starting the viscious cycle of me having to call them again n pay them. I am now totally fed up of this.

Even though the voltage fluctuation problem has been fixed, i don want to eb at the mercy of these operators. Could any of u guys point me to some web site or give me some links where i cna elarn the basics of tuning the reciver, learning how to add/delete/modify a channel/satellite, learn abt transponders and which satellites i can receive in Sharjah etc.

I have a simple receviev and can currently view ESPN Intl, Spice,etc. earlier i cud watch BBC Prime but not anymore..

Any help would be highly appreciated

Cheers
    check this link:http://www.********.com/f2/viewtopic.php?t=69529

you might find the answers there

az30094

@ tango

Before you waste more money on getting your receiver retuned, get the following insight about receivers.

All receivers have a piece of memory called "FALSH". This is a non-volatile memory, i.e., it keeps its contents intact even when it is not powered. These types of memory chips could be read and written using special instructions by the software. The use of this memory in a receiver is mainly to have the working software PLUS the user settings. User settings include any preferences you have changed - like date, time, etc, AND channles that you have scanned. These kinds of data stays put all the time and DOES not get erased by itself.

Now to your case. You started facing this problem after power fluctuation. This indicated only one thing - that your falsh memory has gone SOUTHWARDS (failed).

The solution? To replace the faulty Flash chip. The procedure is to desolder the defective chip and solder a new chip in its place. The modern day PCBs with SMD devices needs special tools to do this work, or on a personal level, needs a lot of skill to do this job. It may be expensive here in Middle East where most of the technicians just leech on guys like you. Even if you get the Flash chip replaced, the reliability of your receiver is always at stake and is not guaranteed. I recommend, and also it is much cheaper to buy NEW receiver (which may cost around 300 Dhs).

Hope you got the point.

Good luck.

Thread Information