Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member Master
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Transform a 10 ft mesh dish into solid

I need to do it because i can not receive many transponders on C-band and nothing viewable on Ku-band.
    Have someone already try this or can give some tips?
    I want to try to paint it with a mixture of cement (those used to repair crashed car) and paint to fill in the holes. Should it be ok?
    Sorry for bad english.
    PIV 2.66Ghz RAM 512Mo WinXP Pro Sp1
    Skystar2 - 3.75m KTI- Drake ESR700e - Yuri 15 k C-Band - Sharp 0.6 dB Ku-Band

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

ANY flat paint should do, avoid too much glossy, reflective paint as it will damage your lnb cap in the long run. avoid mixing it with cement or something similar that may alter the curvature of the dish. i suggest you lay down some thin foil over the dish to close the mesh then paint it over. however, it all depends on how you lay down the foil, lol. try to avoid wrinkles on the structure too. some suggest paint containing titanium dioxide (most paints do) or graphite paint. good luck.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thanks boknoy,
    I have already done this but maybe the paint i used were too fluid and the holes were note filled in. I think I will do a second try as your advices. Do you think it will improve a lot my reception if done correctly?

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Just a precision. I painted the dish with black paint. Does the colour have any effect on the reception quality?

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

congratulations. i don't think color has anything to do with the reception quality.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Dear sir boknoy, will the solid dish more receive very good signal than a mesh dish?Pls. explain me.I'm really don't know this.

Thanks alot.
    " 李俊明 Born To Help People "

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by yan naing
    Dear sir boknoy, will the solid dish more receive very good signal than a mesh dish?Pls. explain me.I'm really don't know this.

Thanks alot.
    it will effect on high frequency like Ku band 12 GHz.. and so..
    the mesh dish good for receiving Ku signal need to be smaller than 2mm mesh. Solid dish have i think at least 5% to 10% gain to mesh dish.

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

To make a comparison, with the same configuration, I have 64% quality level on Parabole Reunion using a 70 cm solid dish, only 54% with the 10 ft mesh dish. However, with the 10 ft, the Ku-band lnb is off by 6 cm from the focal point because it is placed near the C-band lnb which is iguess centered.
    On C-band, i can see most of the transponder only on very clear day.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

could be that you are simply way out of footprint to get a clear reception.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by zolaforever

it will effect on high frequency like Ku band 12 GHz.. and so..
    the mesh dish good for receiving Ku signal need to be smaller than 2mm mesh. Solid dish have i think at least 5% to 10% gain to mesh dish.
    Thanks alot ko zola...
    Dear sir boknoy, Pls. give me some advise...

Regards.

DM 500s , Pacific 3600 CI , Humax F2 Finder , Angel Box , My Dream Machine , Tatasky , KAON , Topfield 3030 , Yuri YR1Dap , Dynasat 7100 , F1 , Plus and II , Metabox II , 10 , Viva Vs 9000 , SkyBox II , X-Sat 430 , 420 , Bolt N2 , NewB , New Shine Ns 3000 , Victory V 889 , F1 Newshine , New Star , Innovia 3088 CA , Atom 7000 , PBI , Prosat , Dstv 3Q76 , GA 88a , Tatasky , Big Tv , Airtel .

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

a solid dish won't affect that much, almost negligible especially if the perforations on the mesh (the "holes") are kind of narrow enough not to let the ku band signals pass through. i believe the mesh dish was in concept for windloading problems with early actuators/motors but nowadays, even 2.5 solid dish can easily be handled by the newer motors so mesh dish are slowly dying a slow death, i think. windloading for both dishes are almost the same at 80kph. but if you belong to out of footprint side lobe signals, then a solid dish is much preferable to get that extra 5%-10% signal gain as most mesh dish have a tendency for poor side lobe signal rejection. also take into consideration that most mesh dish will easily bend and deform.
    CCcam 2.1.4

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

There are a couple of ways of converting a mesh dish to solid... but really none of them will give you , the same result as a genuine solid dish, be it a spun alum solid or a panelled dish.

The first way is to retain the mesh and use fibreclass mat over the mesh and spray it with fibre glass.

The 2nd, is to remove the mesh panels and replace with sheet metel, panels the size of each segment , with a 1 inch strip down one side to overlap the next segment.
    I know of someone that did this with a five meter dish, and really the performace was reduced to a 3.7 meter dish.. hardly what you would call a success, and really for a reletivly small dish like a 10 footer, it's hardly worth the work.
    Some large dishes 7 meters and over, have a solid centre section, with the outside meter ring of the dish mesh, this to allow for Ku reception, and to cut down on the weight factor.
    regards from OZ bassett

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Dear sir boknoy, thanks alot for ur patient explain n I'm very appreciate ur think.

Best wishes.

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thanks for all contributions to this thread. A little precision, my dish is a 12 ft one, not 10 ft.
    I prefer the painting solution because it does not need to remove the dish, replace the panel and redo the pointing job (very hard work for me).
    I spent 4 kg of black paint now and only 1/5 of the dish is now totally covered . It is very ugly but I have 10% more quality signal in Ku-band, not good enough to view more channels.
    I plan to use brown and green paints to do the rest so it would look like an army dish in the jungle.
    Regards.

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Dear,

Interesting posts - I never heard of this.

Any how good luck.
    Regards

Thread Information