Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Friend
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Control of Polarotor

I have a Chaparral Corotor with a Polarotor but no receiver or positioner with connections for a polarotor.The Polarotor has 3 cables : Null and 5V (no problem) and the pulse.Any idea for the connection of the pulse cable that I can change the polarisation
    Thanks for any help from Sri Lanka
    Kaefi

az30094

From the desription you have mentioned, it looks like a polarizer that was being use for Analog systems. There used to be a fixed LNB in one orientation (either Horizontal or Vertical) and the polarizer was used for switching to the other orientation. This was being done automatically by the receiver. Whenever a channel is changed, the receiver sends a series of pulses for the motor to rotate the polarizer to the correct position that is set in the channel settings. In order to feed these pulses, a seperate cable had to be run from the receiver to the polarizer and carried the three cores - as you have mentioned - 0V, +12V (not 5V) and pulses. The other option was to use two LNBs placed in opposite orientation, in which case no polariser was needed.

In Digital reception, the present lnbs (universal and C-Band, that I know of) receives a voltage signal (14V) from the receiver for swithcing the orientation (H/V). This voltage is fed through the same cable that carries the signal. The whole process is automatically taken care by the receiver and no intervention is needed by the user.

Hope I have understood your question correctly and hope you are satisfied with this answer.

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thanks az30094 for your reply.
    You have nicely explained the connection and use of the Polarotor with a receiver.But I have no receiver with such a facility that I can connect a servo motor.
    I want use the Polarotor for fine adjustment of the skew and not for switching the polarisation.
    Now I have removed the motor and I turn the probes in the feedhorn manually to adjust the skew (or tilt) but this is very difficult - my dish is 610 cm,constructed on a hihgh water tank and for adjustment I am standing on a 2 meter ladder.Adjusting the skew by only a few degrees results in a big change of the signal strenght.
    I need a circuit diagram for the control of the servo motor that I can slowly turn the probes and find the best skew.
    It is also not possible for me to turn the whole feedhorn itself due to mechanical limits of the holders.
    NB: the Chaparral Polarotor needs 5V and not 12V - I have the Instruction Manual!
    12V you need for switching between 2 LNB's.
    Greetings from Sri Lanka
    Kaefi

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

The only digital receivers that I know of that has a connection for Lnb mechanical skew are Samsung Vortec,Strong 4600/10/20 and 4800 series 1 and 2 and Manhattan Plaza 550.

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

DEAR FRIEND,
    YOU DONT NEED AN EXPENSIVE DIGITAL RECEIVER TO ADJUST THE SKEW !!
    BUY AN OLD UNWANTED SECOND HAND ANALOGUE RECEIVER FOR A FEW DOLLARS AND USE THAT TO ADJUST THE SKEW ON THE FEEDHORN /COROTOR !!!

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Receivers or Positioners with a connection for a motor are presently NOTavailable in Sri Lanka.
    What voltage or signal(?) I have to connect to the pulse cable input to turn the polarisation or skew?
    Kaefi

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

YOU DON'T NEED A RECEIVER WITH POSITIONER MOTOR CONTROL !
    YOU NEED A RECEIVER WITH THREE SOCKET SKEW CONTROL ON THE BACK PANEL . YOU THEN CONTROL THE SKEW THROUGH THE MENU.
    NOT SURPRISED YOU CANNOT FIND A NEW ANALOGUE RECEIVER ALTHOUGH SOME SHOPS STILL HAVE A FEW LEFT.
    NO, YOU SHOULD BUY AN OLD SECOND HAND ANALOGUE RECEIVER WHICH SHOULD ONLY COST A FEW DOLLARS. MOST OLD ANALOGUE RECEIVERS IN ASIA HAD SKEW CONTROL.
    ( YOU COULD HAVE MINE WERE THE POSTAGE COST NOT SO HIGH ! ).
    THE THREE WIRES FROM THE COROTOR'S SKEW "MOTOR" ARE PLUGGED INTO THE RECEIVER .....AND YOU'RE AWAY USING THE MENU'S SKEW CONTROL TO TURN THE SENSOR FROM +90 TO -90

Thread Information