Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default MAXTOR PVR HARDS DISK FOR RECEIVERS in DUBAI

i need some information regarding the following:

1) who sells Maxtor Hard disks in Dubai ? i need it for my Manhattan plaza ST550, i need the PVR type hard disk not the regular.

2) where is the dish and satellite market in dubai, i might buy the Multichoice south africa card from dubai.

your input shall be appreciated.

thanks
    STB info:
    Humax5400 with ****** FREECAM 2-019, Coship, Manhattan Plaza ST550 PVR with 80GB Maxtor Quickview HDD.
    Dish Info:
    HotBird,NileSat;ArabSat;Panamsat-10,AsiaSat3s
    Subscriptions:
    Showtime,Pehla

boholanon

Default Re: MAXTOR PVR HARDS DISK FOR RECEIVERS in DUBAI

Quote Originally Posted by Guy

1) who sells Maxtor Hard disks in Dubai ? i need it for my Manhattan plaza ST550, i need the PVR type hard disk not the regular.

2) where is the dish and satellite market in dubai, i might buy the Multichoice south africa card from dubai.

thanks
    Replies!
    1. A lot of computer shops in Bur Dubai area...Opposite SeaShell Hotel. All hardDisk are same, you may buy SEAGATE also. Do not connect to your PC when planning to use in STB otherwise it wont work, it will formatted as per Windows, your receiver has diffrent Operating System (OS).
    2. Tell taxi driver to bring you to Nakeel Road, Diera.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

thanks boholanon,

1) i have had unstable performance with regular hard disks when using the PVR function. i have tried the seagate. now im using the western digital caviar, which is a bit stable. but once in a while it reboots my STB. i recommended Maxtor to some friends in europe and they are reporting excellent results with it so far. so i will go for maxtor's "Quickview"

2) thanks for the tip again

cheers
    STB info:
    Humax5400 with ****** FREECAM 2-019, Coship, Manhattan Plaza ST550 PVR with 80GB Maxtor Quickview HDD.
    Dish Info:
    Subscriptions:
    Showtime,Pehla

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

try getting IBM/HItachi if you can, and at the 120G capacity since the price difference from 80G to 120G is negligible (you'll be needing the big HDD space anyway). I killed two WD Caviars while doing recording back then on my pc dvb cards. it seems WD does not like to spin a lot all the time. the maxtor on my PC runs fine though.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: MAXTOR PVR HARDS DISK FOR RECEIVERS in DUBAI

thanks
    You can find them in Computer Plaza Building, Bur Dubai or along Khalid Bin Waleed Rd, Bur Dubai. I have not seen complete computer shops at Al Nakeel Rd. For Maxtor (SATA) it costs Dhs. 220 in one shop (mezzanine) Computer Plaza, a shop just beside the distributor of Gigabyte products.
    I hope this will help you.
    Opportunity knocks only once!

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

just to help you understand the difference between a regular hard disk and PVR specific hard disk, i'm giving you the link for Maxtor's QUICKVIEW specification sheet.

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/...data_sheet.pdf

PVR hard disks are different from the regular hard disks.

regards
    STB info:
    Dish Info:
    Subscriptions:
    Showtime,Pehla

boholanon

just to help you understand the difference between a regular hard disk and PVR specific hard disk, i'm giving you the link for Maxtor's QUICKVIEW specification sheet.

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/...data_sheet.pdf

PVR hard disks are different from the regular hard disks.

regards
    Link features HDD using SATA instead of the more common IDE connection...other than that are pure advertisements.

SATA has faster transfer speed than IDE such that is preffered by some manufacturers. SATA HDD is also used in PC's although not so popular probably because of price.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

my dear friend, i have experienced problems with regular HDDs in most of PVR recorders, especially the STBs.

PVR specific HDDs are more stable and most of PVR STBs use IDE standards, not SATA.

regards
    STB info:
    Dish Info:
    Subscriptions:
    Showtime,Pehla

boholanon

my dear friend, i have experienced problems with regular HDDs in most of PVR recorders, especially the STBs.

PVR specific HDDs are more stable and most of PVR STBs use IDE standards, not SATA.

regards
    No problem...most of PVR I have designed have no problem with normal HDD... .

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

ANY regular HDD can be used by a PVR. it's all marketing gimmicks. take for example the external HDDs. the cost of a pre-made external HDD using USB connection is much more compared to if you buy an ordinary HDD and additional external casing adapter, with the same storage capacity.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

i dont understand why you guys are so adamant and insisting all HDDs are similar when it comes to PVR functionality. just do a google search on "PVR HDDs for STBs" and see how in different forums users have reviewed how unstable these regular hard disks are when it comes to PVR STBs. i am with all of them and i insist these regular HDDs though can be used with PVR specific STBs, but dear boknoy, what matters most here is the stability. and my personal experience dittos majority's bad experience.

majority agree: regular HDDs can be used in PVR STBs
    majority also agree: regular HDDs are unstable with such PVRs

PVR HDD users: stable PVR functionality on STBs

i dont know boknoy if you have tried a regular HDD on ur PC or an STB, if you have a stable functionality with a regular HDD on ur STB then please give me the part number of ur HDD and STB name.

best regards
    STB info:
    Dish Info:
    Subscriptions:
    Showtime,Pehla

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

hey, hold on, ceasefire mate. i'm not here to do a pissing contest. read up on my previous posts. didn't i mention that regular HDD are not that stable BUT can be used anyway? I have tried Western Digitals, have had the best experience on them when i was running my netcafe 10 years ago (the capacity was 500mb and you own the bragging rights if you have a 1gig back then) but proved unstable when recording continously on my pc dvb cards. again, i killed TWO Caviars 80gigs each last year, even with the PC under warranty, i decided to buy a separate Maxtor from a PC shop here in kuwait (forgot the specific part number and i can't look it up since i shipped the PC back to philippines) and the maxtor is still alive today, recently got married to another maxtor 160G HDD.

anyway, your original question has been answered, and let us not sway your decision to hunt and use a PVR specific HDD. happy hunting!
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

thanks boknoy, hope you enjoy the wedding with maxtor for a prolonged period

as for maxtor "Quickview" i have contacted a few dealers in dubai and they dont seem to have it, i will try to get it from UK if i didnt find it on my trip next week to dubai.

cheers
    STB info:
    Dish Info:
    Subscriptions:
    Showtime,Pehla

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

as for maxtor "Quickview" i have contacted a few dealers in dubai and they dont seem to have it, i will try to get it from UK if i didnt find it on my trip next week to dubai.

cheers
    If Guy is right, what is the diffrence between normal HDD and Guy's PVR specific HDD?

One way of prolonging your HDD life is to select the SPIN DOWN option in PVR, that is to let the HDD stop spinning if not in used.

boholanon

Quote Originally Posted by SohoFan

cheers
    If Guy is right, what is the diffrence between normal HDD and Guy's PVR specific HDD?

One way of prolonging your HDD life is to select the SPIN DOWN option in PVR, that is to let the HDD stop spinning if not in used.
    Sohofan,

It is probably that these HDD which guy is mentioning is capable of spinning continously over long period of time without getting its mechanical parts damaged.

Thread Information