Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Thread: lost in space

Junior Member Junior
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default lost in space

Hi everyone. I am a newby to FTa satellite and Europe as a whole. I came from Canada where we pirated directv and dish network cards. NOw I moved to Ukraine, bought a FTe golden Interstar DSR-8001 satellite and have no clue really how to get some english channels. I currently have hotbird and Eurobird programmed in it, but only get about 10 English stations. I am not even sure what satellites I should be trying to aim at. I have figured out how to change the keys and have been trying to change them but have not had much luck getting any other stations to unscramble. I actually lost my channels, the multivision stations are now all scrambled.
    Do I need a different reciever IF so what is good What satellites should I be trying to aim at to get English programming I have a 3 lnb dish. Should I buy a decoder? If so, again what is good I am sure there are a 100 more questions but if someone could point me in the right dirrection I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Hi,
    1st of all u should define ur area of interest ..... like Movies, Sports, Documantries etc. etc. ...... and the language u prefer (probably English) ...... Hotbird is a good satellite to watch ......

the problem these days is that with Receivers in which u can put some files to watch certain channels r there on teh market but the almost all encryption systems have advanced from this step so u'll need either a smart card (Cerebro or Opos) or a dreambox where u can do some card sharing (with this box almost everything is possible) ......

so it depends on the encryption system the channels use u want to see ...... if u talk about NDS-Videoguard or ******-2 then only sharing will help u for which u'll need a permanent internet access or atleast for the time u want to watch

so a detailed reply about channels u want to watch, Satellite accessable from ur position and the amout of money u r ready to spend would give us a fair idea how to help u further

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thank you for your reply. I mostly like movies and don't mind getting the news either. But most of all I would like to find a channel that has Nascar racing from the states if that is at all possible. I am still working on a full time internet connection here in Ukraine. It is possible, but at a price, and if you want high speed well I was told about 1000 american dollars for 1mps.
    English is my prefered language. I do have an ISO loader and P3 HU card from directv here with me. It uses the same chip that I have seen some cards saying they have. Is it of any use to me My reciever does not take a card so I guess I will have to look for another reciever. If I can get internet service established I may be intrested in the dreambox you talked about.
    I am in lviv Ukraine and currently pointed at 19 degrees. I think I can point at just about any direction, if there is a better choice for me.
    Thanks Bill

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

For NASCAR races watch MOTORS TV & AB MOTEURS on HOTBIRD

SATELLITE GURU Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Oh Shit... I though Lost in Space was this

New book reveals how engineers saved Hughes satellite from disaster on Christmas Day 1997

From http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-nbr010506.php

First published account of 1997 spaceflight sets record straight

A former Hughes Spacecraft Company engineer and part of a team which rescued a satellite that went astray on Christmas Day 1997 with a daring maneuver that sent it to the moon and back, gives the first complete description of the rescue in New Trends in Astrodynamics and Applications, Volume 1065 of the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. The rescue was the first successful attempt to re-route a commercial satellite into a near geostationary orbit using a "free return lunar flyby" trajectory, which may someday allow space tourists to see the moon from its far side.

After launch from Kazakhstan on Christmas day 8 years ago, the Hughes 601HP communications satellite failed to execute its final burn, leaving it stranded in an unusable elliptical orbit with an orbit plane far from the equator. "It was a healthy spacecraft in a bad orbit. Mission over," commented Cesar Ocampo, who worked for Hughes at the time but is now an associate professor of aerospace engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. The craft did not have enough fuel on board to bring it back into the proper orbit using standard methods, which are analogous to changing lanes in a traffic circle.

A DARING RESCUE

However, two aerospace engineers outside the company, Edward Belbruno and Rex Ridenoure, came up with the audacious suggestion that saved the mission: they suggested saving fuel by diverting the satellite all the way to the moon and taking advantage of the moon's gravity to bring the satellite back into a usable orbit. Belbruno is editor of the Annals volume, is visiting research collaborator at Princeton University, and president and founder of Innovative Orbital Design, Inc. Currently, Ridenoure is President and CEO of Ecliptic Enterprises Corporation of Pasadena, California.

"The suggestion to Hughes from Belbruno and Ridenoure was key," Ocampo said. "Until then nobody at Hughes had thought of using the moon to rescue this stranded satellite." The actual route to the moon used was different than the one suggested by Belbruno and Ridenoure, but the fundamental idea of having to use the moon's gravity in some capacity was critical.

A COVER-UP

Ocampo's paper, "Trajectory Analysis for the Lunar Flyby Rescue of AsiaSat-3/HGS-1" is the first published account of the rescue, which received a great deal of attention in the press at the time of the rescue, between April and July 1998. However, publicity from Hughes Spacecraft never acknowledged the contributions of either Ridenoure or Belbruno, a grievous omission that the article seeks to redress.

After the mission plan had been devised and its execution initiated, Ocampo was ordered to seize further communication with Belbruno and Ridenoure and was barred from participating in any external communication activities and presentations made to the public and other organizations.

"This cover up represents a major injustice by a prominent corporation of an historical event, and is a blemish on ethical behavior in the aerospace community," says Belbruno.

NEW USES FOR THE LUNAR FLYBY TRAJECTORY CONCEPT

The rescue mission was the first commercial operation in the vicinity the moon. The free return lunar flyby trajectory concept had also been used as contingency trajectories by NASA's Apollo spacecraft. Ocampo predicts it will soon become more common. The free return lunar fly-by trajectory is especially beneficial in terms of fuel for geostationary bound spacecraft launched from high latitude space ports. Last August, the private space tourism firm Space Adventures, Inc., said it will be offering individuals the chance to fly around the moon and back by the year 2010 using a similar maneuver. (http://www.spaceadventures.com/media...es/2005-08/284)
    If Evolution works, why so many idiots?

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

In a statement issued earlier today,Tom hanks has denied rumours that he is to star in the sequel lolz

Thread Information