Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Master
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default how to shoot Astra bird from north saudi arabia

is anyone here in the forum try to shoot or having Astra as one of their satellite here in Saudi Arabia. A week ago i tried to shoot the bird using 190cm Prime Focus Dish but i failed. I got a nice firmware for my Xsat CDTV410 which contains Astra and Hotbird package thats why i am very eager to shoot this bird. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

good luck. we are too far off for the footprint, not even a glint of it can be attained from here in kuwait ( i used a 3m solid dish).
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

You can get Astra with a 5 Meter solid dish in Riyadh
    I have done this before when I was living there in 2003.
    It is a heavy job to find and you must anker the huge dish.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

lierodelb, did you receive full Astra 1G/H frequencies only (suppose all channels on 24/7 basis) or anything more ? Or did you try at 28.2E/28.5E ? If so what did you get from there ?

What brand/model was the 5m ?

Which LNB and Receiver(s) were used ? Any well performing with low noise, high cross polarization rejection, high gain and high tuner sensitivity ?

Greetings from the center of all 19.2E footprints where a wall and a dish installation restriction lets me also be without reception.

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

As boknoy_ph said not possible to get the footprints of Astra satellite in Saudi Arabia. Maybe shadow of satellite is possible in Riyadh as per lierobdelb claim.

But anyhow if you really insist to see Astra with your eyes, visit TABUK, SAUDI ARABIA. There you will find the biggest farm ever exist in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as they even exporting their goods to Europe & African countries. They have huge farm for all kinds of birds were you can shoot with permission.

Check it here and you'll find the footprints of ASTRA
    http://www.astra.com.sa/

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

The link you posted has nothing to do with SES Astra and some time ago i read also that some dutch channels are beeing received even in Omanon 2.40m, so why not further north ? I am sure that it is possible but only with excellent alignment, very sensitive equipment and depending on the weather.

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by deepbluesky
    The link you posted has nothing to do with SES Astra and some time ago i read also that some dutch channels are beeing received even in Omanon 2.40m, so why not further north ? I am sure that it is possible but only with excellent alignment, very sensitive equipment and depending on the weather.

Maybe you are talking ASTRA 4A at 37.5 West. Check this out.
    http://www.ses-astra.com/corpSite/si...ra4a/index.php

At the bottom of the page, click Footprints. If you visit Lyngsat, this is the satellites at 37.5W - Telstar 11 & AMC 12

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

I am aware of Astra 4A or call it AMC12. I meant 19.2E or 28.2E and i know that both positions are beeing received in the Mid East but information is too small about people getting them so that's why i am asking. Astra 4A so far does only transmit some data on the Europe-African beam. The few TV/Radio stations aim North or South America.

Greetings from snowy Stuttgart

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

The S2 beam of Eurobird 28 East should be easily receivable on 2.5m approx according to Satcodx software.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Concerning the footprint of the EB1 S2 beam, the 38dbW line just reaches the north of Israel so i doubt that a 2.5m in Saudi Arabia can guarantee reception on all frequencies but this can be proven only in reality.

The next thing is: Never rely on the SatcoDX diameter calculator. I tested it with many out of footprint satellites for Greece and the differences to the real conditions are huge.

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by dreamphils
    As boknoy_ph said not possible to get the footprints of Astra satellite in Saudi Arabia. Maybe shadow of satellite is possible in Riyadh as per lierobdelb claim.

But anyhow if you really insist to see Astra with your eyes, visit TABUK, SAUDI ARABIA. There you will find the biggest farm ever exist in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as they even exporting their goods to Europe & African countries. They have huge farm for all kinds of birds were you can shoot with permission.

Check it here and you'll find the footprints of ASTRA
    http://www.astra.com.sa/
    i know that the footprint coverage of Astra is not covered saudi arabia but i am hoping fo the spill signal of the bird.

Thread Information