Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member Friend
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Best STB for use in the Middle East

I am currently using Strong 4620II (S/W 1.22p dated 11 Nov 2005, H/W 1.10, Boot Ver 2.00, CH A008, don't know what CH means) and planning to change it to a better one (if any). Anyone who can advise me of what brand and model should I buy that is good on watching cr*cked channels (specially for h*tbird, n*lesat and Ar*bsat).

Thank you very much,
    John ([email protected])
    Strong 4620II

Byte Stalker Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

m8,

choosed a brand that's been supported by hacking community that post up to date software upgrades whenever there's a cahnged in encoding systems!
    The more we learn things the more we hunger for more! That's human nature I guess!

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: Best STB for use in the Middle East

Quote Originally Posted by jp4620ii
    I am currently using Strong 4620II (S/W 1.22p dated 11 Nov 2005, H/W 1.10, Boot Ver 2.00, CH A008, don't know what CH means) and planning to change it to a better one (if any). Anyone who can advise me of what brand and model should I buy that is good on watching cr*cked channels (specially for h*tbird, n*lesat and Ar*bsat).

Thank you very much,
    John ([email protected])
    You have a good receiver,but you don't know how to enhance it.
    if you have problem w/ this unit inform me,but i give you some hint's.

press 6969 to enable scramble ch.
    press 8282 to enable key editor.
    press 8280 to enable biss key editor.(for turksat...nbatv)

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thanks for the additional tip JFT. I already know 6969 and 8282 but never tried 8280 before.

By the way, I have a friend and he is using Ech*Sat X-7. When he bougt his receiver 6 months ago, he never update its key for watching Mult*vision Channel like what I do everyday.

How can I do this on my Str*ng 4620II is there a software needed?

Thanks again.
    Strong 4620II

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

By the way, I have a friend and he is using Ech*Sat X-7. When he bougt his receiver 6 months ago, he never update its key for watching Mult*vision Channel like what I do everyday.

Can you confirm this unit.. Ech*Sat X-7,if it's working au.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Metabox USED to au TPS keys too.

anyhow, if you really like to have a nice STB, then you better opt for a triple dragon or dreambox. both are running on linux, and using the same CPU. though dreambox has made a headway for the last three years, triple dragon is catching up and is already considered at-par with dreambox, if not more. both boxes should last you at least 5 years before some really good technology overtakes it. but considering that these boxes run on linux and are constantly modified by third party developers, you can be rest assured of a "future-proof" STB for some years to come.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

@boknoy_ph
    hello mate can you give me some hints how to shoot Astra here in Hail, Saudi Arabia, i tried it in 190cm deepset dish but no luck. I know that my place is out of Astra footprint coverage but i am hoping for the spill signal. Any advise with regards to this matter is highly appreciated.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by totingPh
    @boknoy_ph
    hello mate can you give me some hints how to shoot Astra here in Hail, Saudi Arabia, i tried it in 190cm deepset dish but no luck. I know that my place is out of Astra footprint coverage but i am hoping for the spill signal. Any advise with regards to this matter is highly appreciated.
    my advice? quit trying. i myself tried it on a 9ft dish from a friend without any signal trace at all. we are very far from the footprint, even the spill signal is very far from us, i think. i gave up on Astra almost two years ago (i saw the channel list are quite impressive so i tried).
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jft
    Can you confirm this unit.. Ech*Sat X-7,if it's working au.
    No idea if it is au or no (autoupdate, right?).
    Strong 4620II

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph
    Metabox USED to au TPS keys too.

anyhow, if you really like to have a nice STB, then you better opt for a triple dragon or dreambox. both are running on linux, and using the same CPU. though dreambox has made a headway for the last three years, triple dragon is catching up and is already considered at-par with dreambox, if not more. both boxes should last you at least 5 years before some really good technology overtakes it. but considering that these boxes run on linux and are constantly modified by third party developers, you can be rest assured of a "future-proof" STB for some years to come.
    A friend also recommended that unit, Metabox3. He told me to look for a STB with STi5518 CPU solution. I hope it is not as costly as P*ntium IV processors hehehehe. He also told me to look for a STB with CI or CA. He don't know what is better CI or CA when I asked him. Any suggestion?

Thanks.
    Strong 4620II

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

if all you need is for hotbird, nilesat, arabsat, then metabox3 has both CI/CA slots on it, and has STi5518 on it (as most STBs nowadays) save for a few which use IBM chips (DM/TD) and fujitsu (satlink-7/NS3000). also, there may be a lot of other chips roaming around, but so far these are the most common in the market. So go with metabox3, it's not that costly, has good software support and has proven to be a stable box (per experience).

you will need the CI if you get subscription cards or you need to insert funcard/atmega8 or etc to view your channels. the CAM is also usefull if you want to put something else (like a neotion/firecrypt CAM to view full-x channels).
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

i had been using Humax5400 since nearly 5 years when it first came. pretty impressive, in those days i used to watch all the available networks by initially by programming the MOSC card with a smart mouse and then later the freecam with remote keys. then came the funcard and all the fun.

this year though i decided to upgrade my options. did alot of internet research and Manhattan plaza st550 impressed me. bought it. it is impressive because it has PVR function and i can record digital quality programs and utilise all the benefits of time shift recording and playback. Blind search is impressive, i can catch hidden frequency by running an auto scan which are not available on lyngsat or satcodx websites. for example on PanAmsat-10 i tuned to CNBC pakistan from the very first date it started when the frequency was not known anywhere. i must also mention here that Manhattan's tuner is very sensitive and is giving me good signal for some channels that i couldnt watch on humax, Humax used to give me "No or Bad Signal" message for those channels.

now i have a latest patch on my manhattan and enjoying AES keys benefits for my Manhattan. overall im very impressed with this receiver, manhattan has come a long way from its good old analogue days.
    STB info:
    Humax5400 with ****** FREECAM 2-019, Coship, Manhattan Plaza ST550 PVR with 80GB Maxtor Quickview HDD.
    Dish Info:
    HotBird,NileSat;ArabSat;Panamsat-10,AsiaSat3s
    Subscriptions:
    Showtime,Pehla

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

Does M*nhattan Plaza ST550 has AU like what JFT had mentioned on this topic? Can I enter keys via remote on this unit? Maybe I'll do a research on this unit.

Hey, I recently read a posted message on the one of the forums I accidently visited (I forgot what is the site). They mentioned one unit which is capable of using an image file to watch IRD*TO2 encrypted channels. I don't know how they do it or they if their claim is true. Anyone has idea?
    Strong 4620II

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Does M*nhattan Plaza ST550 has AU like what JFT had mentioned on this topic? Can I enter keys via remote on this unit? Maybe I'll do a research on this unit.
    i don't even know M*nhattan Plaza ST550 and i didn't mention it
    pls. confirm againm8.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Hey, I recently read a posted message on the one of the forums I accidently visited (I forgot what is the site). They mentioned one unit which is capable of using an image file to watch IRD*TO2 encrypted channels. I don't know how they do it or they if their claim is true. Anyone has idea?
    this could be done via cardsharing.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Thread Information