Sunday 1st August 2004
Mark Palios has resigned as chief executive of The Football Association following recent allegations that he had an affair with an FA secretary.
Palios informed FA chairman Geoff Thompson of his decision to resign on Sunday evening, with Thompson accepting his decision with immediate effect.

It brings to an end his 13-month tenure as FA chief executive, having replaced Adam Crozier in the position last year.

The news comes as The FA have come under increasing pressure following allegations that FA secretary Faria Alam had a relationship with Palios and England coach Sven Goran Eriksson.

The pressure seemed to mount after the News of the World reported on Sunday that The FA tried to broker a deal with the paper by offering a full and extensive account of Eriksson's relationship with Alam in exchange for keeping Palios's involvement with the secretary quiet.

Despite insisting that he had done nothing wrong in the affair, Palios felt his position had become untenable because of the recent events surrounding The FA.

"I have resigned this (Sunday) evening as chief executive of The FA,” Palios said in a statement on The FA's official website.

"I informed the chairman of my decision at six o'clock. I am very sad that I feel this is necessary.

"It has been a privilege to have been chief executive of The FA, but with privilege comes the burden of responsibility. And it has been important for me to take ultimate responsibility for everything The FA has done in good times and bad.

"Personally, I do not accept that I have been guilty of any wrong doing.

"But it has become clear to me that my action tonight is essential to enable The Football Association to begin to return to normality.

"When I joined The FA, it faced many serious challenges.

“A lot of very good things have been achieved in the past 13 months. I have had the privilege to work with an outstanding leadership team.

"For the time being, I intend to keep any further thoughts to myself."

FA executive director David Davies has been put in temporary charge of the organisation, with The FA due to make a formal statement on Monday.

Following the news of Palios's resignation, director of communications Colin Gibson has since offered his resignation to the Football Association board.

"I have offered my resignation to the board because I felt it was the honourable thing to do,” Gibson told the Press Association.

"They said the matter will be dealt with as soon as possible."