Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Thread: Thaicom 5 Down

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Thaicom 5 Down

Thaicom 5 down.Both C & Ku TPs down.there is no official news.
    Stop Using Plastic Bags!
    Using 5R to Protect Our Green Planet
    Reduce,Reuse,Recycle,Reject & Return

Junior Member Friend
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Dear Mintun,
    Maybe you can check this link, because I can't read Thai language, hope you can provide more information.
    http://www.facebook.com/www.truevisionstv
    Thank's and regards

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

announcement from truevisions was that pathum thani district, incidentally where i live, transmission was disrupted due to bad weather, it's now back to regular service, not aware which other areas were affected

did not realize that yangon would have been one of them
    Last edited by ClarkBelt; 21st April 2011 at 18:03.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBelt View Post
    announcement from truevisions was that pathum thani district, incidentally where i live, transmission was disrupted due to bad weather, it's now back to regular service, not aware which other areas were affected

did not realize that yangon would have been one of them
    yes it looked like all the Thaicom 2.5 network was down,even the FTA thai channels went down for a time.
    My wife could not understand why she could not look the Thai soaps while i was watching the Vinasat package
    JOE SOAP

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by mintun View Post
    Thaicom 5 down.Both C & Ku TPs down.there is no official news.

Now all the channels are come back.
    Stop Using Plastic Bags!

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

"Arak Chonlatanon, chief executive of Thaicom, said the root cause of the cable network collapse yesterday was an electrostatic discharge failure on the Thaicom 5 satellite.
    This resulted in a signal control system failure for the satellite transmission downlink of both the C and Ku bands"

and while thaicom was busy fixing the problem....

another widespread belief in thailand was that coup had taken place and army had blackouted the tv channels.....

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

when signal back
    dom

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    when signal back
    Its back mate
    JOE SOAP

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

The Thaicom 5 broadcasting satellite suffered a technical glitch yesterday for about three hours before resuming normal service late in the evening.

The subsequent television-screen blackout initially prompted widespread speculation about political irregularities, including rumours of a coup or the seizure of the Thaicom ground facilities, which happened once during the red-shirt rally last April. Thaicom chief executive officer Arak Cholatanont said at an urgent press conference that the satellite experienced an "electrostatic discharge" problem.

The glitch occurred at 4.10pm yesterday, knocking off satellite TV channels, including six free TV stations aired on C-band frequencies. Thaicom took about three hours to solve the problem.

"I hope this problem does not happen again," Arak said, adding that such glitches did not frequently occur in any satellites. He added that the problem had nothing to do with politics.

The company confirmed that Thaicom 5 was still positioned in the 78.5 degrees east longitude orbital slot and had not fallen out of the slot as rumoured.

Thaicom operates two satellites: Thaicom 5 and broadband satellite iPSTAR.

Thaicom 5 was launched in 2006. It has serviced users in Asia, Europe, Australia and Africa. Its lifespan is at least 12 years.

In October 2006, the Thaicom 3 broadcasting satellite suffered a similar technical glitch with the power-supply system. It was later de-orbited.

The Information and Communications Technology Ministry held a separate news conference at the ministry in Laksi to talk about the Thaicom 5 situation. Permanent secretary Jirawan Boonperm said the problem would not have happened if Thaicom 5 had a back-up satellite.

She added that Thaicom and the ministry would soon launch talks to draw up specifications for a new satellite jointly, expected to be launched in 2013.

Thaicom is keen to launch the new broadcasting satellite but reportedly wants its concession owner - the ICT Ministry - to extend its concession term to match that of the planned satellite. This will make it commercially viable to launch the new satellite. Its concession will end in 2018.

The ICT Ministry has assigned CAT Telecom to conduct a feasibility study on launching a satellite for the 120 degrees east longitude slot. It also plans to send up another satellite to occupy the vacant 50.5 degrees east slot.

The moves are in line with the ministry's plan to maintain the country's right to reserve the two slots with the International Telecommunication Union.

-- The Nation 2011-04-22
    Daeng

10FT Dish 169° east-49°east

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Thaicom 5 Down

Dear Daeng,

Thanks for the infos.
    Initially, I thought something like solar outrages etc.
    But after about half and hour long and realising all services both Ku & C bands, I started worrying...may be the satellite has fallen off etc.
    About 3 hours latter, every thing is back to normal.
    Again Thanks for the infos.

Regards

Member Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by L.ZauJa View Post
    Dear Daeng,

Thanks for the infos.
    Initially, I thought something like solar outrages etc.
    But after about half and hour long and realising all services both Ku & C bands, I started worrying...may be the satellite has fallen off etc.
    About 3 hours latter, every thing is back to normal.
    Again Thanks for the infos.

Regards
    Same with u bro.At this time,I check my dish all its components for this errors.About 1 hour later,I'm also worrying same with u.

But now everything is ok.

Thx a lot for the full info bro [email protected].U provide the best information all the time.
    Stop Using Plastic Bags!

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

To all, Daeng and Mintun,
    Thanks for the information on this satellite, for the C band is all the way.
    we now know what happened, and will not read any politics in it.

Thread Information